TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My P85 Salvage Story - Help!

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by nir, May 29, 2014.

1. nir

nir Member

I purchased a Black/Black, 2013 Model S 85kwh (vin...6021) from a broker that had bought it from the tesla factory in North CAL. It is a salvage title. The previous owner drove it for 3 weeks and hit a pole. it has +- 1500 miles. My intention is to repair the car and drive it. n insurance company through Copart with intention to finish this out and get this back on the road. It has a California Salvage Title.

As you can see from the photos, the car was hit on the drivers front side of the vehicle. The exterior of the car was repaired with all OEM parts. Van Nuys Tesla refused to sell me parts because they said that because the car was salvaged they would not be able to. I later found out that some pf the service stations would sell parts.

Drivers steering wheel and knee airbag deployed, and I have not replaced them yet. The car had the pyro fuse replaced(disables car when airbags deploy, and the 12v battery changed.

The air bag and accident faults are the only ones on the screen.

Car is fully optioned glass panaoramic room, 21" wheels (painted), grey nappa leather, wood interior matte decor, active air suspension etc... with MSRP of 105K.

My issue is that I have been unable to get the car charged and it sits at 0 miles. The charging door will not release automatically (tried all possible screen inputs). We preyed it open (gently) and attempted to connect the charging cable but there is a pin in the car port that prevents from plugging it in. I gather that the car does not recognize that the door is open , so it will not release the pin. We manually kept the pin down and were able to plug in. The car would message "starting to charge", but within a minute would indicate that the "cable was unlatched".

When I called the tesla service on the phone they said I needed to bring the car in for service, but when i attempted to do that the Van Nuys (Los Angeles) service station initially said to bring it in, but then researched it further and called me to tell me they would not work on it because it is salvaged, and would not help me any further. I called a couple of other service stations, some would sell me parts, but would not service it. I understand that the car is out of warranty because of the salvage title, but to my knowledge all manufacturers will work on the car if you are prepared to pay for it.

I wanted to reach out to the forum and see if anyone would be able to assist me in getting this beautiful car on the road again.

Thank you in advance.

Ps: I will be posting pictures shortly.

2. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

Wow. How long have you had it and how much did you pay? Is there a waiting period/remorse law in California? If so I would be heading back to the broker and getting your money back. It will be nearly impossible to service anything on a Model S without complete factory support. With a salvage title and damage that was bad enough to deploy airbags, I doubt Tesla would touch it with a 10 foot pole. No one out there, besides Tesla, will have any means of resetting the computer or performing any kind of diagnostics on it. Sad to say but you really need to chalk this up as a learning experience and try to get your money back.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

You could try pulling and reinserting some fuses; #44 is the charge port and #53 is battery management IIRC. Overall I agree with the previous poster that you're pretty much in a hopeless situation without support from Tesla; even if you can get the car to charge, Tesla are the only folks who can do some of the resets necessary.

4. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Well depending on how much it cost he can still salvage it for parts. Not sure how big of a market there is, but bumpers, wheels, seats etc might still go.

5. Tharo

Tharo Member

6. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

#6 EarlyAdopter, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    You could try what Otmar did with his salvage to get it charging - disconnect the charge port and pull it inside the car. Might give you more flexibility to deal with the locking pin.

See the end of this video for what I'm talking about:

7. nir

nir Member

#7 nir, May 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Thank you for your feedback guys. Otmar is a great guy, and him and i have been communicating and doing conference calls, and he has been of great help. He got his car working, although he did not fully assemble it because he has the great westfalia project in he works. We tried what he did it to get it going to no avail.

I had the car towed yesterday at Santa Monica hybrid, the first non dealer to work on electric cars in CALI. They specialize on electric and hybrid cars. Martin, is one of the owners and he seems quite knowledgeable. He is running diagnostics.

I do believe, from one of the posts i saw on here that Tesla is reconsidering their policy of "non-work" for out of warranty/Salvage cars, and they have already loosened the rules to allow us to buy parts. Because the car does updates over the air, i believe that the will not prevent me from doing that. What would be helpful is to have a tesla mechanic moonlight, but I have not been able to secure one... as of yet.

20140421_155408.jpg 20140529_131124.jpg

8. nir

nir Member

Thank you - we will try that.

9. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Wondering what firmware your car has installed and if Tesla might have slipped in a "feature" to disable charging on salvage cars.

When my car was hit, it worked as expected once the pyro fuse was replaced. In fact, I sold the salvage and it's back on the road again. New owner was able to replace the airbags and get all the body work done.

10. nir

nir Member

Well actually, we figured what happened with the Tesla. I am starting a new thread because it is quite different than what we thought and i will post pictures of the battery inside and troubleshooting, for those of you that are curious or want to know more about tesla batteries.

11. nir

nir Member

12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#12 yobigd20, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    It does not seem right to me that you can buy it directly from the tesla factory, yet then be refused by them to sell you repair parts to repair it or help service it. If the system is so closed that they are the only ones able to do certain things like reset it then it seems like it should be illegal for them to refuse to help you. Either they help you directly, or they distribute a detailed service manual that explains everything needed to know to repair a Tesla Model S. Btw, I thought all manufacturers were required by law to make public a repair manual for third party shops to use to know how to repair a car. Wouldn't it be illegal for tesla not to provide you this information? If true I would think you could sue Tesla to force them to make this info public. And I personally think this info should be public anyway. I don't think it's right for tesla to force you to only go to their service and repair centers. Anyone should be able to get the necessary information to repair their own car. A company should not be allowed to keep this info private.

13. tga

tga Active Member

IANAL, but I believe their policy of not releasing information or selling parts to owners is a direct violation of the Massachusetts Right to Repair law:

Massachusetts Right to Repair Initiative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

14. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The Massachusetts law requires manufacturers to make available to independent dealers and consumers the same information as they make to franchised dealers and franchised auto repair facilities. It does not apply to manufacturer-direct models.

Chapter 93K defines "dealer" as:
    And "franchise agreement" is defined:

(Emphasis mine.)

Tesla as a manufacturer does not grant licenses, therefore it has no franchise agreements. As it has no franchise agreements, it cannot have dealerships by the definition of dealer found in section 93K. As Tesla has no "dealers", it does not offer any tools to them, and therefore doesn't have to make anything available per that law.

There is one section that does begin to apply in 2018:

While this section also includes "the same [...] information available to their dealers" nomenclature, it is not attached as a condition to the availability of the information in standards format. It just says that manufacturers can't offer dealers more information than in their standards-based offerings. They'll still have to offer standards-based access to their onboard diagnostic and repair systems in 2018.

15. siai47

siai47 Member

I think that this is going to become more of an issue as these cars (and I mean all BEV's) start coming off warranty. I leased a couple of LEAF's and own an I-MiEV. Neither one of those vehicles have parts available for the HV battery system. However, I have factory service manuals for both. Also, both use a proprietary scan tool (Nissan Consult or Mitsubishi M.U.T. III) which are very expensive and difficult for an independent shop to acquire, let alone the fact that Tesla has no scan tool availability at all. In the case of the I-MiEV all parts related to the HV battery system are deleted from the dealer service and parts manuals. The dealer has to deal with minor battery pack system problems (like Tesla SC's) by returning the entire assembly for repair/exchange. As BEV's become more mainstream these problems are going to have to be addressed. After warranty, some sort of exchange program on complex assemblies like the battery pack will have to be developed. Otherwise failure of a small, inexpensive component within the pack could total a perfectly good vehicle.

16. snooprob

snooprob Member

This is a very interesting angle on the Massachusetts law - and one I'm sure they weren't considering when they wrote this as... who would have ever thought a car company would *NOT* be selling in a Franchise model - eh? ;-) lol

I actually just sent an email to the NA service help address yesterday asking about how to obtain service information, tools, and software under the MA law. Let's see if their lawyers respond with the same sort of analysis you did @FlasherZ :)