Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My P85D delivery (and more?) story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the Alcantara leather really nice to the touch? I'm up in the air over the Interior package, I want my Model S to look like its worth its money.

One of the things I was most surprised by was how nice the inset alacantra is on the dash. I really think it adds some class to what was a fairly pedestrian interior. I went for black on black on black, so its subtle, but nice. The car the ranger drove had contrasting headliner and it looked quite good too. I really struggled with the interior colors and I'm now convinced I'd have liked either. I still think the interior design is an area where Tesla could improve, but it is helped with the premium package.

I took a couple of shots of the new frunk with a couple of grocery bags for size comparison. It could hold 4 bags, although they can't be completely full because the roof compresses them.
Tesla4-1.jpg
Tesla4-2.jpg

@Letsofast
Congrats on your P85d, mine is currently pending delivery and will arrive without Next Gen seats (to be swapped at a later date).

Are you bringing up the seat stitching and misalignment wit h Tesla? Seems like shoddy craftsmanship if you ask me. Wondering now if its due to quality controls that TM is deferring so many deliveries of next gen seats.

ps. Did you get cold weather pkg and if so, did you get heated steering wheel?

A few more observations after a couple more days of driving:

1) You have to allocate more time for doing everything because getting into extended conversations about the car is inevitable. I've already given two strangers "test drives"

2) The lane departure warning is more capable than the Mercedes one, which shuts off in all kinds of iffy conditions. I got the rumble in dark rainy conditions where I could barely see the lines. I didn't expect it to be working.

3) Although the traction control does a pretty good job of keeping you out of trouble, wet roads definitely allow you to get a bit more squirrely. I tried taking some turns faster than the car could handle in a parking lot in the rain and you can absolutely put the car in a spin if you don't scrub off enough speed. It stayed pretty flat and I was able to catch it, but it was the first time that traction control actually felt like it hurt me. I'm pretty sure it was pulsing the brakes trying to prevent wheel spin. I didn't really let it drift enough to say for sure, but I felt like the back end got loose in a pretty predictable and easy to control way, however. It certainly wasn't the instant snap spin that has put so many 911s into trees.

4) The back-up camera is useless in the rain. Has anyone figured out a mod to shield it?

A few more observations after a couple more days of driving:

1) You have to allocate more time for doing everything because getting into extended conversations about the car is inevitable. I've already given two strangers "test drives"

Wow. That is awfully nice of you!

I do hope, for your sake, that by "test drives" you really meant "test rides." If not, may I suggest the following thread: A sad cautionary tale of poor judgement

Wow. That is awfully nice of you!

I do hope, for your sake, that by "test drives" you really meant "test rides." If not, may I suggest the following thread: A sad cautionary tale of poor judgement

Thus far, I've only let strangers ride along. I've let a lot of friends drive it, however. I live on the edge!

This is my favorite reaction so far (I had some better ones that I failed to film).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the write up and pics! I will be living vicariously for another month at least.

If you are on a very light slope, the 1 second hill hold will not kick in and the car will roll back. In fact it seems* to vary from car to car, at least in my sample size of 2. My car needs a fairly steep slope for the 1 second hill hold to kick in, but the loaner I got while mine was in service seemed to kick in on much lighter slopes. Doesn't bother me at all as I've gotten used to how mine works and I only care about it on steep slopes.

Edit: Also, I have creep turned off

My previous P85 had the same issue, I.e. Hill hold only worked if I was on a decent size slope. I may have started a thread on this at some point and I did raise this with a service tech and with ownership. He acknowledged that it seemed inconsistent and possibles not as aggressive as some other vehicles. In the end I didnt get any further information on this and got used to the fact that it might roll back very slightly on minor hills. I think with creep on you don't notice this as the creep overcomes the slight hill, but I never use creep. If you take your foot off and it starts to roll you can break again and then title will hold.

I'd estimate that I meet someone who wants to talk about the car 1 out of every 4 times I come out from the store to find it in the parking lot. Its usually very pleasant, but sometimes it makes it hard to get where you want to go.

That's the only reason why my wife doesn't like driving the Tesla. If she does drive it, she is known to yell "its my husband's car" and just run into the store. She has even given people my phone number so they can call and ask me questions.