Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My P85D delivery (and more?) story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the seat's as 'encompassing' as they look?
Worth upgrading to a P85D from an 85D for? (I hope they allow Recaro seat's w/o Performance Req)

I've only had a limited amount of time in the old seats, but I think the new ones are a significant upgrade indeed. I suspect that if you are patient that they will offer the seats on a wider array of models, but who really knows with Tesla?

Great write up (liked hearing your background)!
Nice pictures!
The actual trip to get your car seems complicated but you were probably too elated to notice.
Glad you had a happy ending.
Question: Not sure you've had much time in a Model S with Old gen seats, but wondered if the new rear headrests blocked your view.
Was considering keeping the old rear seats when my front seats are changed out.....if that is the case.

Thanks for the kind words and yes, the trip was a pain in the butt, but it was all worth it in the end. A 2-3 hour road trip is really about as long as I prefer to be in a car anyhow, so it worked out just fine. There was no traffic at all, which is why I chose to get delivery in NC over Maryland. I do find that the new headrests significantly reduce the visibility from the rear window, which wasn't all that great to begin with anyhow. I think that the blind spot detection/active steering accident avoidance is a critical feature for Tesla in part because of this. Even with correctly (to me) adjusted side mirrors, the Tesla is a difficult car for blind spots. I'm avoiding the problem on the highway by leaving the rear camera view on most of the time, which does a pretty good job of identifying the people who love to lurk on your rear quarter panel. If it wasn't for that feature and the coming blind spot advances, I'd be unhappy. I seriously didn't want to order a Model S until I knew it was coming and the new seats really make the problem worse.

3) I notice Tesla did a vacuum T logo in the rear carpet? Or is that somehow embossed.
6) One question for you... were you ever able to find a copy of the TESLA owners manual online to read prior to the car delivery?
I have not been able to find one...

7) did you notice the new TESLA brush aluminum sill plates on the driver's and passenger door sills?

3) It looks to me like it was brushed in. It looks pretty cool. I should have got a picture before I loaded the trunk with stuff and pressed it back somewhat.

6) I did find one somewhere, but it didn't look to have been updated for the P85D specifically.

7) I did! I think they look really good. I wish the P85D came with the metal plates on the frunk/trunk too.

@LetsGoFast thanks a bunch for the picture of the seats. A few angles there that I havent seen before.

How would you compare the seats with the 911 or other Germans!?

@ArtInCT isnt the owners manual available in the "My Tesla"-pages?

The seats actually compare suprisingly well to the 911 or BMW M3 seats, I think. They aren't quite as aggressively bolstered and accommodate a wider range of body types, but still do a pretty good of keeping you planted under lateral G forces. I think they leaned a bit in the comfort direction as compared to my 911, but I think they are quite well done. I felt more comfortable at the end of a 3 hour drive than I would in the Porsche, for sure. I'm like 6'4" 220#, so your mileage may obviously vary.

are the seat adjustments on the New seats the same as on the old?

I believe so. If you can point me to a good detailed image of the old adjustments, I'd be happy to confirm that. I find the inflatable lumbar support to be fairly useless, but I almost never like those so it may be a personal issue.

Great writeup!My Sig seat backs also are about 2" above the trunk floor, so not really different. Do the new front seats have any pockets front or back?

Apparently not! I was searching for them to stash my charging network cards and couldn't find any.

Thank you very much for a nice post!

It makes the wait for our cars here in Norway much shorter! Very nice to see a post without the (far too common) whine about range, heated steering wheel etc.

Congratulations and enjoy your new ride! Please continue posting as you get more acquainted with the car.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm fairly convinced that Elon's tweet has to be accurate and that they will improve range and it doesn't seem to be as bad as I feared. I'd have liked the heated steering wheel, but c'est la vie.

Indeed. Right above a very jagged energy graph ;)

Heh. I think I've got it up around 900 Wh/mile. Its a really fun car.

Thanks! I didn't understand that. I suspect that I just wanted it to be longer than one second. It probably works the same way on my car. I just let my foot off for a short while to see what would happen and we started rolling backwards. If it doesn't do that for one second, that would probably be enough most of the time, although I'd probably rather never roll backwards. For some reason I thought it was a setting on its own.

If you are on a very light slope, the 1 second hill hold will not kick in and the car will roll back. In fact it *seems* to vary from car to car, at least in my sample size of 2. My car needs a fairly steep slope for the 1 second hill hold to kick in, but the loaner I got while mine was in service seemed to kick in on much lighter slopes. Doesn't bother me at all as I've gotten used to how mine works and I only care about it on steep slopes.

Edit: Also, I have creep turned off

One thing to note that isn't super easy to see is that although the new rear seats lay pretty flat as in level, they are raised almost two inches from the level of the trunk deck.

View attachment 67187View attachment 67188

Really appreciate your time writing such a good story and pictures to share. Would you mind elaborate more on the back seat in terms of comfort and accessibility in or out the compartment compare to the old back seat? I'm a bit concern on the back seat although I'm not the one sitting there but I do find my legs were tired by just sitting there even 5 mins. I chose the new next gen seat mainly because of this and hope improvement would have been made.

If not, I'd rather keep the old seat and at least get a larger rear view with smaller headrest and easier to get in or out without lifting up my hip from one end to another everytime instead of just sliding in or out the compartment.

No problem. Here is a selection. Let me know if you'd like any other angles. One thing to note that isn't super easy to see is that although the new rear seats lay pretty flat as in level, they are raised almost two inches from the level of the trunk deck.

View attachment 67185View attachment 67186View attachment 67187View attachment 67188View attachment 67189View attachment 67190View attachment 67191

- - - Updated - - -

And a bonus picture of the obligatory girl in frunk courtesy of my cousin.

View attachment 67193

Thanks. Looks good. I ordered one with black seat and white headliner.

It will take another 6 months for delivery. Hope there is no delay. Can't wait.

Really appreciate your time writing such a good story and pictures to share. Would you mind elaborate more on the back seat in terms of comfort and accessibility in or out the compartment compare to the old back seat? I'm a bit concern on the back seat although I'm not the one sitting there but I do find my legs were tired by just sitting there even 5 mins. I chose the new next gen seat mainly because of this and hope improvement would have been made.

If not, I'd rather keep the old seat and at least get a larger rear view with smaller headrest and easier to get in or out without lifting up my hip from one end to another everytime instead of just sliding in or out the compartment.

My sense is that the main problem with the back seats in terms of comfort is that they're set too low with respect to the floor; for anyone taller than about 5-foot-nothing, the result is that their knees are higher than their hips and there's almost no thigh support. There's not much TM can do to fix it because of the height constraints imposed by the battery pack under the floor and the sloping roofline. I'm interested to see if the NG rear seats have a deeper bucket shape, to improve thigh support, as well as better bolstering.

Well that is a really fine writeup on your delivery and I am so glad all is well with your new P85D!
Congratulations and plenty of happy miles and smiles!

Some thoughts....

1) Supra Twin-Turbo.... I, to this very day, am very sad about letting mine go (1993 2jz-gte with 6 speed V16x manual gearbox)... I got it to Stage 3. Sigh. A red one too. Miss that car dearly. However, my son purchased a Lexus SC300 5 speed which as you know has the Supra 2JZ engine however normally aspirated... pretty rare car.
It is in our DNA... Haha

2) The girl in the Frunk photo is great... all write ups need this photo... nice going.

3) I notice Tesla did a vacuum T logo in the rear carpet? Or is that somehow embossed.

4) Love the choice of color... We have pretty much settled upon the grey with a Tan interior.
The grey 21's just make the car look so seamless and sophisticated. Great combo, perfect.

5) Like you, I will probably let my 1968 AMC AMX 390 Go-Pac go... 16K original miles and a AMO Gold medal winner... every option offered is
in the AMX... it is all original too. Sigh....

6) One question for you... were you ever able to find a copy of the TESLA owners manual online to read prior to the car delivery?
I have not been able to find one...

7) did you notice the new TESLA brush aluminum sill plates on the driver's and passenger door sills?

Again thanks and please keep up the writing about your experiences. Have fun. I did live vicariously through your tale.
Happy New Year!

Art
Little off topic... sorry... but a guy in Calgary has a few amazing AMC AMX cars - one a prototype show-car and the other a super-stock (if I recall). See this link about half way down the page: Chestermere 2010

Well, I think the new seat is a clear improvement over the old seat, but it is still far far behind the front seats. It isn't actually very difficult to get in and out of, the seat is much less bolstered than the fronts. I actually think that the front seats might develop wear problems because the bolster on the bottom cushion is so pronounced that people are going to rub it every time they get in or out and without meticulous care of the leather, I predict a lot of severely worn seats on that outer edge. Its almost impossible not to slide over it.

Ugh... do the seats look like they were made in somebody's basement or is it just me? I am afraid this kind of craftsmanship may drive me out of my mind. Bah!

Are these really made by Recaro or is Tesla assembling them onsite? This is just bad... :scared:

Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 11.16.47 PM.png

Congratulations! Always terrific to see another Tesla in Richmond.

My friends and I were just discussing that. How many Teslas would you guess are in town? I know at least six.

My sense is that the main problem with the back seats in terms of comfort is that they're set too low with respect to the floor; for anyone taller than about 5-foot-nothing, the result is that their knees are higher than their hips and there's almost no thigh support. There's not much TM can do to fix it because of the height constraints imposed by the battery pack under the floor and the sloping roofline. I'm interested to see if the NG rear seats have a deeper bucket shape, to improve thigh support, as well as better bolstering.

I'm 6'4" and my knees are probably at a 30 degree angle above my hips in the back. I actually can only sit fully upright in the middle seat or my head hits the glass roof. Legroom is adequate so that I could fit if I slouch, but its tight. I think anyone over 6 foot would have a similar experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh... do the seats look like they were made in somebody's basement or is it just me? I am afraid this kind of craftsmanship may drive me out of my mind. Bah!

Are these really made by Recaro or is Tesla assembling them onsite? This is just bad... :scared:

View attachment 67266

The other bolster in the rear is similar, it was just hidden by the belt in my pic. I also note that the horizontal seams in the headrest insets aren't lined up and the center one isn't even perfectly level. The interior is clearly not as well put together as you would expect in a typical car in this price range, for sure, but I went in with that expectation. One of the trim pieces in the back of the armrest stack wasn't popped in tight and the design of the door panel is pretty poor from an ergonomic perspective and in terms of storage. But I bought it knowing that.