TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

My P85DL insurance rates have just gone down, again!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jbcarioca, Mar 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I do not know how common this is but my insurance rates have declines by ~10% for each six month period since I bought my car in March 2015. The latest renewal (every six months in Florida) arrived this AM and was 9.6% less than the last one. Considering the discussion of insurability of Tesla I have not encountered similar stories, but I am certain there is nothing unusual about my experience. FWIW, a year or so ago a driver ran into me, causing no damage to my car. Progressive decided it was the other drivers fault, and mine was not damaged, but there is a police report. Still my insurance goes down.

Do other people have similar happy tales?

Also, I just compared with Geico for renewal, who quoted my 160% higher than Progressive. So much for "saving 15%"

• Like x 1
  2. commasign

commasign Active Member

Just speculating, but could it be related to the drop in value of the car? What I paid $150k+ for in late 2014 (with tax and ludicrous upgrade) is only worth a little more than half that now, based on the latest CPO and forum prices.

• Like x 2
  3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I've never heard of this happening. eSurance tries to jack my rates up every renewal, until I threaten to leave.
    You aren't doing anything MORE for me. I'm not paying you MORE.

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

After the first year AAA lowered my rate from 2,400 to 1,997.

5. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I asked my Progressive rep to be sure. Mine was valued at $128,000 when I bought it and is valued at $89,000 now. I asked what it would be were I to switch for the P100D I've been debating about ($153,000) and the rate would go up 4%. This it seems "loss if incurred" for collision is less of a factor than is "probability of loss". I wish I had access to their actuarial tables so I could understand just what they're doing. I do know from former work with actuaries that the algorithms for high-value vehicles (for some carriers) are often highly geographic and factor in "severity of loss if incurred" data including local repair costs. Thus I would not be surprised were their rates to be highly sensitive to prevalence of local body shop experience with aluminium and/or exotic vehicles. The collision pricing sensitivity suggests a strong sensitivity for "probability of loss" plus highly refined "severity of loss if incurred". I have insured Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, Morgan and others, with never a claim, so claims history is counting for a lot. I'd like to know what they do with a new customer vs established one with identical histories. That would be informative.

Sorry if I'm going into too much detail.

• Informative x 2
  6. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Wow! That is amazing! Congratulations.

7. hillestadk

hillestadk Member

I'll have to get a quote with Progressive. I currently have Allstate and am paying $797.43 for 6 months. Of course, my MS is a base 60 so the MSRP is significantly lower than most others on this forum.

8. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I use Nationwide and mine goes up every 6 months for my P85D. It went up $99 for this last 6 month cycle. :/ I've never had any claims.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

I suspect it being a PxxD plays a role. It likely got actuarially priced alongside other performance cars and that may be tapering down b/c a) it hasn't been drag raced like every Mustang they insure, b) the performance numbers from Tesla were reduced after delivery (692 hp I think was the original advertised power).

For me, my 2013 S85 with high coverages was priced as follows:
    Travelers for 1 year @ $1,053 (so basically 6 mo @ $563)
    Travelers for 1 year @ $1,406 (so basically 6 mo @ $703)
    Progressive for 6 mo @ 343
    Progressive for 6 mo @ 404

No going down for me, but worth shopping around.

That said, when my insurance was issued out of Florida instead of North Carolina, it was SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive! So I wonder if Florida has had better than expected no-fault loss history?

10. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

Mine typically goes down with USAA according to the market value of the car. That's for comprehensive, of course, not liability.

I also do not have a replacement value policy. If I did, I wouldn't expect it to go down, but rather move according to the price of the assumed replacement.

11. Evee

Evee Member

not for me lol

12. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I've had my Model S P85D insured with Progressive since I got it in Dec 2014 and my rates have gone down over time as well.