Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My P90DL is speed limited to 84mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sbtz

Jan 18, 2016
CA
Not that I ought to be driving fast, but for the first time in my seven months of ownership, I needed to go a it faster than 80-ish... (car was coming up on my tail really fast, so I wanted to move over). However, I found that even with the pedal to the floor on a flat road, my P90DL couldn't manage to go faster than 84mph. No warnings or error messages, just a hard limit.

The car was a demo before I got it late last year - does anyone know whether there's just some oddly designed top speed limit, or maybe one that's implemented for demos? (And they forgot to take it off before delivery)

Not that I ought to be driving fast, but for the first time in my seven months of ownership, I needed to go a it faster than 80-ish... (car was coming up on my tail really fast, so I wanted to move over). However, I found that even with the pedal to the floor on a flat road, my P90DL couldn't manage to go faster than 84mph. No warnings or error messages, just a hard limit.

The car was a demo before I got it late last year - does anyone know whether there's just some oddly designed top speed limit, or maybe one that's implemented for demos? (And they forgot to take it off before delivery)

Sure you didn't have it in Valet mode?

Do you want to swap out your P90DL for my 60D? I fear you're P90DL'ing all wrong if it took 7 months to discover the demo mode was still on.

On the other hand, I discovered it on my test drive. :D
He is in Southern California so you can cut him some slack since our freeways are mostly parking lots ... that said I've run into that limit with a loaner car from the center. I can also confirm the Fiat 500e is electronically limited to 88 mph (they must like back to the future) and my 2012 Nissan Leaf was also limited to 84 mph (but from the factory) I've yet to hit the limit of my Tesla but I think I read it was 115 mph

All demos and loaners, etc. have the 85 MPH (140 KPH?) limit. It's often overlooked in delivery processing.

I was going to say he probably didn't have his time circuits on to allow 88mph and thereby go back in time to when he purchased and have them remove the demo limit so that it never occurs. In which case he wouldn't need to report this thread. Paradox. Lol

He is in Southern California so you can cut him some slack since our freeways are mostly parking lots ... that said I've run into that limit with a loaner car from the center. I can also confirm the Fiat 500e is electronically limited to 88 mph (they must like back to the future) and my 2012 Nissan Leaf was also limited to 84 mph (but from the factory) I've yet to hit the limit of my Tesla but I think I read it was 115 mph
I mis-remembered the limit my 2012 leaf, it was actually 94 mph on the flat. And since the speedometer was notoriously inaccurate my actual land speed was certainly less than 94 mph

Guy owns a P90DL and he never knew it was in demo mode the whole time he owned it? Remind me again why you paid for the P and the L?

I found out about the ~80 mph speed limiter on the demo mode while on my first test drive. In a regular 70D. The salesman smiled when I asked him why it felt like the car suddenly stopped accelerating at 80 mph or so when I floored it.

Guy owns a P90DL and he never knew it was in demo mode the whole time he owned it? Remind me again why you paid for the P and the L?

I found out about the ~80 mph speed limiter on the demo mode while on my first test drive. In a regular 70D. The salesman smiled when I asked him why it felt like the car suddenly stopped accelerating at 80 mph or so when I floored it.

I imagine because not everyone wants to break the law and/or go to a private racetrack with their car?

Anything over 70 in my own city will result in a very swift ticket.

You want the P & L for the 0-60. The top end is really not the point.
On the other hand I'm pretty sure the first 2 drives I had included hitting 100 with a car full of people. One of those was demo day at the factory. Good times!

I know everybody's just giving me a hard time (because I do feel silly having gone 7mos without noticing), but yeah, LA/OC traffic never allows me above 80mph-ish without driving like an a-hole. As for why I got the P and the L, it was a great deal during the great/controversial discounts late last year when they were trying to move as many cars as possible while also ditching the P90DL's they had sitting around. It ended up being nearly the same price as the S75 I was considering :)