Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Parcel shelf not staying folded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on the point of giving up on the cheapo parcel shelf. It was pretty poor to begin with, but I’m now finding that I fold it up to enable me to put bags etc in the boot and it immediately flops back to flat. So I have to use one hand to hold the shelf in its folded position and the other to load the boot.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I’d happily ditch it, except that’s not going to make a noisy car anything other than a bit noisier.

Actually if you lift the far end and let it rest it a bit further away from where the magnets latch, I've found that it will fall where the back of the rear seats are when you push it and hence act a bit like a roll-up parcel shelf, that's the easiest way to use it for me. Will make a video later if I haven't explained clearly enough.

It all comes down to cost and what they can get away with. The same as every company really, how can we provide a service or product in the cheapest way possible, and not how can we provide the best product or service.
Almost. They haven’t actually opted into the minimum viable product part. You certainly can’t say “the same as every company” in this instance when every other company comes up with a better parcel shelf.

Reactions: Caramel
Almost. They haven’t actually opted into the minimum viable product part. You certainly can’t say “the same as every company” in this instance when every other company comes up with a better parcel shelf.
Gotta argue this one really, not in defence of Tesla but in criticism of every other maker.
Most of those cheap "attached with bits of string" shelves end up blocking the interior light, don't fold and have no-where to go if you need to remove them for a load.
Mercedes A class gen one had roll cover - it rattled dreadfully not fitting for a Mercedes - this was replaced with a hard cover on strings in the refresh - this rattled and squeaked dreadfully.
Chevy Volt/Vauxhall Ampera had a cover - a stretchy handkerchief attached with bungy cords to hooks in the boot, at least this was quiet and fitted round odd sized loads
I've never come across the "perfect" load cover over forty odd cars

Actually if you lift the far end and let it rest it a bit further away from where the magnets latch, I've found that it will fall where the back of the rear seats are when you push it and hence act a bit like a roll-up parcel shelf, that's the easiest way to use it for me. Will make a video later if I haven't explained clearly enough.
This. I found it by complete fluke but it almost makes it usable.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
I think I managed something along these lines when fiddling around yesterday. Will experiment further!

I for one am confused. Pictures or a video might clear the advice up for me and other dullards 👍
DSC_0519.JPG