Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Parcel shelf not staying folded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its still better than the wipers.
It’s incredible. They manage to make great EV drivetrains by inventing stuff. But the simple things that they could just copy - lights, wipers, parcel shelves - they make a complete hash of. I think that’s what’s frustrating, it could be such a good car, but they spoil it through a lack of effort in trying to make it good.

Its like if BMW had made all those lovely silky sixes in the 80s and 90s but thought “right lads, that bit is market leading we are done here” and stuck them in a Montego and an Ital.

Last edited:
Gotta argue this one really, not in defence of Tesla but in criticism of every other maker.
Most of those cheap "attached with bits of string" shelves end up blocking the interior light, don't fold and have no-where to go if you need to remove them for a load.
Mercedes A class gen one had roll cover - it rattled dreadfully not fitting for a Mercedes - this was replaced with a hard cover on strings in the refresh - this rattled and squeaked dreadfully.
Chevy Volt/Vauxhall Ampera had a cover - a stretchy handkerchief attached with bungy cords to hooks in the boot, at least this was quiet and fitted round odd sized loads
I've never come across the "perfect" load cover over forty odd cars
Volvo XC40 have cracked that one. Has bits of string style solid cover which is removable and stows under the boot floor. Nice bit of design. I'm sure there will be others also.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
My parcel shelf doesn't have the extra fold like the one in the video so just slides forward again when you push it back which is annoying.
To get round this i did this easy mod, used a couple of those plastic packing bits you get supplied with TV wall brackets and self tapping screws just a bit longer and screwed them up as per picture. I did check inside where i screwed them to make sure there were no wires and for clearance which was fine.
Easy to use now with one hand and gives better access to the boot.
IMG_8208.jpeg
IMG_8210.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: thax1
Do you honestly think that the delivered parcel shelf is the best they could design with the best materials?
I don't. I think there is a disconnect between price of the car and the quality of the shelf.

It's the bit around all companies following that 'make it cheap' policy I wasn't sure if you were serious about. I don't think you would find that type of parcel shelf in a Lexus or BMW for example.

Reactions: Danny_F
You guys with parcel shelves don’t know how lucky you are… 😂

As a family car, I’ve been really impressed with the ability of the Model Y to slot seamlessly into family life, and the battery and drivetrain tech is still class leading. Like others on here though, having had almost a year to reflect, I definitely think the small details add up and it misses out on being a great car. It’s a shame as it really could have been, but what do I know as it doesn’t seem to have affected its popularity.

I don't. I think there is a disconnect between price of the car and the quality of the shelf.

It's the bit around all companies following that 'make it cheap' policy I wasn't sure if you were serious about. I don't think you would find that type of parcel shelf in a Lexus or BMW for example.
I see what you mean now, yeah I think parcel shelves may be different but for sure even BMW or Lexus cut corners where they can, after all, it is all about profit.

My previous was a 430d which coming to think of it I cant think of many corners it cut, except the leather on the steering wheel was pretty poor imo.

Reactions: 2020M3SR