Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My parking guard caught and overly interested person

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

srwx

"perf_config": "P1"
May 16, 2016
Ballarat, Australia
I was parked up at 59 Lonsdale in Melbourne in one of their Tesla bays charging while I was at an event, beside me was another Model S also charging. This guy was confused what the cars were and then I think he tried pulling on the charge cable to see if he could remove it (clunk sound at 00:42). The audio is low (because the mic is inside the car ;)) so you'll probably have to crank up the volume to hear what he says. I'm glad we having a locking mechanism on the charge port.

Reactions: ColBatGuano
Mmmm, looks like the kind who'd look down the barrel of a rifle and pull the trigger to see if it's loaded. If you ever see him filling up anywhere you should rush over and pull the nozzle out of the tank and say, "These things don't lock. They should. It'd be safer that way. No one could pull them out like this!" Wave it around a bit and chase him with a match.

• Funny
Reactions: Lex, *KT* and srwx
May I ask which dashcam you have? I'm planning on getting the BlackVue 2 channel

It's just a cheapo chinese model via Aliexpress: a Mini 0807, it can be permanently powered via ODBII, has two SD card slots which I like (gives me a bit more time to replace cards when/if they fail without losing footage) and has a Sony CCD with good image quality.

I've configured it to continuously record and powered it via the ODBII port. On my old ICE it would go into a low frame rate, low power mode when it detected the engine wasn't running (by detecting the alternator not running when the 12v line drops down a couple of volts) but the way the Tesla keeps the 12v battery going really confused it :) As the Tesla seems to charge the 12v battery whenever it needs to rather than just when you're driving I don't see any issues leaving it continuously recording but I am keeping a close eye on things. I do remove the unit and bring it into the house when parked up at home though - no point filling the SD with boring garage footage (and the garage has its own camera anyway).

Hmm i wonder what the fascination is with unplugging EV cars? It does seem to occur a lot.

I see phones charging at work on desks all the time, i dont walk up and unplug them. In fact ive never seen anyone unplug a charging phone.

Is it just a car thing or have you encountered similar random unplug charging device behaviours at work or elsewhere?