Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My path to a 100 "Safety" Score Rating!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're not bored and are limited on time, don't bother to read this! I am bored waiting for a meeting to start, so will share my experience for anyone interested. TIC

So, we all know, Tesla released this Safety Score rating thing. Originally opted out as its requirements would spoil the whole fun of driving the Model S. Tesla advertises the car as the fastest car in the world, but now wants you to drive it slow! That’s an oxymoron. Hey, maybe take the same approach to this safety score thing?

At the same time, I've paid for FSD on three different cars, two of which are now gone and that money down the drain. This car will be gone next year too. Finally, with a chance to get something for my money, decided I better go ahead and play along so I can at least experience what all the fuss is about and what we've all been waiting years for.

Immediately programmed my head with the 5 factors. Fortunately, really only four as I do always keep my hands on the wheel, so the last one has only happened to me once and that was intentional, just to see what would happen if I ignored the request to put my hands on the wheel.

My car unfortunately, already had a cracked windshield from a huge rock hitting it on the freeway several months ago. And someone scraped up the front end while in a parking lot. So, knowing that I have to fix these areas anyway, wasn't too worried about what the week of "safe" driving had in store. I just knew, I couldn't use the brakes, couldn't turn hard or follow too closely at 50 MPH or above.

L.A. freeways, it's absolutely impossible to not get dinged for following too closely as it will ding you at any instance of it. If a car cuts you off, you get penalized. If you want to change lanes, you have no choice but to squeeze into the narrow holes that barely exist as everyone in L.A. follows too closely and you get penalized. Slow down to leave more space, other drivers just fill that space and you get penalized. Tough enough already, just to change lanes regardless of trying to also leave 3 seconds of space in front of you.

So, my only option to be able to drive on L.A. Freeways and not get dinged for following too closely was to slow down to 49 MPH before making the lane change. It worked. I certainly learned all the different horn tunes of different manufacturers this week! While following too closely gets you dinged, there's no penalty for cutting people off. So, now going 20-25 MPH slower than the flow of traffic to make my "safe" lane change, I did cause one wreck behind me as the car I pulled in front of was going much faster than 80-85 and had to slam on the brakes and lost control of his car, spinning out and getting hit by another car. But hey, my score didn't get dinged and I'm still a "safe" driver.

On another occasion, was close on making a red light. Was going just a little too fast myself, but, fortunately, going 30 MPH over the speed limit on city streets doesn't warrant a ding and I'm still a "safe" driver! In this case however, I miss-timed the light and it turned red before I got there. Crap, what to do? If I hit the brakes, I won't be a "safe" driver. So I did what any other "safe" driver would do and hit the accelerator pedal. Downside, a semi-truck had timed the light just right in his direction and ended up in the intersection by the time I got there. I was going to swerve to avoid it, but quickly remembered, that's not "safe" either. Would’ve gotten dinged for turning too hard. So, I just closed my eyes and prayed. Man did I luck out. There was a huge dip in the road entering the intersection and it launched the car into the air and I Knight Rider'd my way through the side of that semi-trailer. Thank goodness the trailer was empty! Tesla's 48/52% weight distribution kept the back end down and managed to keep it on all 4's coming out the other side! Another disaster averted! My "safety" score remained in tact and I was still deemed to be a "safe" driver by Tesla! Front end a little more dinged up, but had to fix that anyway.

Then on Friday, was a little distracted and almost missed my left turn. Problem is, road changes to a divided road and if I don't turn there, it's another 5 miles before there's an opportunity to turn around (10 miles round trip). I was running late, so couldn't afford to lose the time. Again, had to do some quick thinking, how can I make my turn in a "safe" manner. Was carrying too much speed to make the 90 degree turn without triggering that I'm an unsafe driver by turning too hard. Sure as heck couldn't hit the brakes to slow down as that would be unsafe too. Light turned red, oncoming traffic was continuing through the yellow light and a kid on a bike was waiting on the corner for the light to change. I thought I could make it, but my butt meter rating the G-force of the turn knew how much I could turn the wheel without going over the g-force limit and being an unsafe driver with a turn that was too hard. Had to take the turn a little wider than planned. Did hit the curb, Dukes of Hazzarded my way through a picket fence in front the house on the corner and left some tire marks in their nicely manicured front lawn and picked up a few roses from the rose garden along the way. My wife was so happy I brought roses home for the first time in 15 years! Oh, and the kid you ask?, well, fortunately he was paying attention and jumped just in time, landed feet first on the windshield. Destroyed the windshield, but hey, it had to be replaced already anyway! Fortunately, this kid had a protective mom that made him wear a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, the works. He was just fine. Can't say the same for his mangled bicycle though. Sorry kid. But, most importantly through it all, I did it in a "safe" manner and didn’t violate any of the Safety Rating guidelines.

So, managed to make it through 7 days and over 100 miles to qualify as one of Tesla's 1,000 "safest" drivers. A little more damage to the front of my car and the windshield, but they had to be fixed anyway. The only losses…… a semi trailer, two cars wrecked on the freeway, a crushed bicycle, a picket fence needs some “minor” repairs and a lawn and rose garden need to be replanted. The nice little old lady from Pasadena who lived in the corner house said she needed something to do anyway!

But most important and through it all, gosh darn it, I proved I was a "safe" driver and I got my 100 "SAFETY" score!!

Thank you so so much Tesla. Your truly, well-thought out safety guidelines of what it takes to be a “safe” driver proved to be so helpful. I never realized how unsafe I was being on the roads in the past by..... slowing down for obstacles, or swerving to avoid pedestrians or even stopping for them in cross walks, or staying with the flow of traffic when changing lanes. I learned so much this week! Who says you can't have fun and be "safe" at the same time. Happy to know that this old dog can be taught new tricks after all.

.............yes, I was bored waiting for a meeting to start, so had time to write this up! I figured Tesla must have spent so much time planning this out, it was only fair for me to take the time to share my true thoughts and opinions regarding this brilliant rating system. I hope it helps others determine the best way to be a "safe" driver out there! Again, TIC!!

Last edited:
If you're not bored and are limited on time, don't bother to read this! I am bored waiting for a meeting to start, so will share my experience for anyone interested. TIC

So, we all know, Tesla released this Safety Score rating thing. Originally opted out as its requirements would spoil the whole fun of driving the Model S. Tesla advertises the car as the fastest car in the world, but now wants you to drive it slow! That’s an oxymoron. Hey, maybe take the same approach to this safety score thing?

At the same time, I've paid for FSD on three different cars, two of which are now gone and that money down the drain. This car will be gone next year too. Finally, with a chance to get something for my money, decided I better go ahead and play along so I can at least experience what all the fuss is about and what we've all been waiting years for.

Immediately programmed my head with the 5 factors. Fortunately, really only four as I do always keep my hands on the wheel, so the last one has only happened to me once and that was intentional, just to see what would happen if I ignored the request to put my hands on the wheel.

My car unfortunately, already had a cracked windshield from a huge rock hitting it on the freeway several months ago. And someone scraped up the front end while in a parking lot. So, knowing that I have to fix these areas anyway, wasn't too worried about what the week of "safe" driving had in store. I just knew, I couldn't use the brakes, couldn't turn hard or follow too closely at 50 MPH or above.

L.A. freeways, it's absolutely impossible to not get dinged for following too closely as it will ding you at any instance of it. If a car cuts you off, you get penalized. If you want to change lanes, you have no choice but to squeeze into the narrow holes that barely exist as everyone in L.A. follows too closely and you get penalized. Slow down to leave more space, other drivers just fill that space and you get penalized. Tough enough already, just to change lanes regardless of trying to also leave 3 seconds of space in front of you.

So, my only option to be able to drive on L.A. Freeways and not get dinged for following too closely was to slow down to 49 MPH before making the lane change. It worked. I certainly learned all the different horn tunes of different manufacturers this week! While following too closely gets you dinged, there's no penalty for cutting people off. So, now going 20-25 MPH slower than the flow of traffic to make my "safe" lane change, I did cause one wreck behind me as the car I pulled in front of was going much faster than 80-85 and had to slam on the brakes and lost control of his car, spinning out and getting hit by another car. But hey, my score didn't get dinged and I'm still a "safe" driver.

On another occasion, was close on making a red light. Was going just a little too fast myself, but, fortunately, going 30 MPH over the speed limit on city streets doesn't warrant a ding and I'm still a "safe" driver! In this case however, I miss-timed the light and it turned red before I got there. Crap, what to do? If I hit the brakes, I won't be a "safe" driver. So I did what any other "safe" driver would do and hit the accelerator pedal. Downside, a semi-truck had timed the light just right in his direction and ended up in the intersection by the time I got there. I was going to swerve to avoid it, but quickly remembered, that's not "safe" either. Would’ve gotten dinged for turning too hard. So, I just closed my eyes and prayed. Man did I luck out. There was a huge dip in the road entering the intersection and it launched the car into the air and I Knight Rider'd my way through the side of that semi-trailer. Thank goodness the trailer was empty! Tesla's 48/52% weight distribution kept the back end down and managed to keep it on all 4's coming out the other side! Another disaster averted! My "safety" score remained in tact and I was still deemed to be a "safe" driver by Tesla! Front end a little more dinged up, but had to fix that anyway.

Then on Friday, was a little distracted and almost missed my left turn. Problem is, road changes to a divided road and if I don't turn there, it's another 5 miles before there's an opportunity to turn around (10 miles round trip). I was running late, so couldn't afford to lose the time. Again, had to do some quick thinking, how can I make my turn in a "safe" manner. Was carrying too much speed to make the 90 degree turn without triggering that I'm an unsafe driver by turning too hard. Sure as heck couldn't hit the brakes to slow down as that would be unsafe too. Light turned red, oncoming traffic was continuing through the yellow light and a kid on a bike was waiting on the corner for the light to change. I thought I could make it, but my butt meter rating the G-force of the turn knew how much I could turn the wheel without going over the g-force limit and being an unsafe driver with a turn that was too hard. Had to take the turn a little wider than planned. Did hit the curb, Dukes of Hazzarded my way through a picket fence in front the house on the corner and left some tire marks in their nicely manicured front lawn and picked up a few roses from the rose garden along the way. My wife was so happy I brought roses home for the first time in 15 years! Oh, and the kid you ask?, well, fortunately he was paying attention and jumped just in time, landed feet first on the windshield. Destroyed the windshield, but hey, it had to be replaced already anyway! Fortunately, this kid had a protective mom that made him wear a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, the works. He was just fine. Can't say the same for his mangled bicycle though. Sorry kid. But, most importantly through it all, I did it in a "safe" manner and didn’t violate any of the Safety Rating guidelines.

So, managed to make it through 7 days and over 100 miles to qualify as one of Tesla's 1,000 "safest" drivers. A little more damage to the front of my car and the windshield, but they had to be fixed anyway. The only losses…… a semi trailer, two cars wrecked on the freeway, a crushed bicycle, a picket fence needs some “minor” repairs and a lawn and rose garden need to be replanted. The nice little old lady from Pasadena who lived in the corner house said she needed something to do anyway!

But most important and through it all, gosh darn it, I proved I was a "safe" driver and I got my 100 "SAFETY" score!!

Thank you so so much Tesla. Your truly, well-thought out safety guidelines of what it takes to be a “safe” driver proved to be so helpful. I never realized how unsafe I was being on the roads in the past by..... slowing down for obstacles, or swerving to avoid pedestrians or even stopping for them in cross walks, or staying with the flow of traffic when changing lanes. I learned so much this week! Who says you can't have fun and be "safe" at the same time. Happy to know that this old dog can be taught new tricks after all.

.............yes, I was bored waiting for a meeting to start, so had time to write this up! I figured Tesla must have spent so much time planning this out, it was only fair for me to take the time to share my true thoughts and opinions regarding this brilliant rating system. I hope it helps others determine the best way to be a "safe" driver out there! Again, TIC!!
You win the Internet for the rest of the week.

Reactions: pilotSteve