Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Pearl White Model 3 with some early mods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mauswerkz welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your experience and pictures of your gorgeous Model 3. I think my Pearl White Model S P85 has found a little brother in your car. We are waiting for our Model 3 and torn between getting it in Pearl White again or Midnight Silver. With your pictures Pearl White is gaining. Thanks again.

Does the wrap go all the way around and behind the handles (and if so I’m assuming the wrap does not obstruct the flow of the handle while being opened or rub against the car)? Or does the wrap just sit on the face of the handle (thus increasing the the possibility that it will eventually peel off)?

I wrapped partway around the handles. When the handles are pivoted out, the chrome shows. It did form nicely around the curves though, so it's not likely to peel off on its own any time soon. If it does, those were actually the easiest part of the whole car to wrap and I can redo them.

Don't do this!!! You could blind yourself!

Haha, I don't make a habit of it :)

How does the ride feel after swapping from 18's to 20's..??? Did ya paint shadow or tape??

The 20's feel great. The steering was very responsive before, now it's razor sharp. I love it. The shadow is vinyl, I actually had to remove it because I noticed it was peeling off in a few places as I was washing it for a photoshoot (pics to come). I'm still learning to do vinyl work and I learned a lot from that piece in particular. I'll do it again someday soon, hopefully without the same mistakes that caused it to peel.

Reactions: tracksyde
Tell me more about your other cars, esp your EV conversion

I converted a 2001 BMW 330ci to electric using recycled parts from various EVs and hybrids. It's a blast to drive, feels quicker off the line than the Model 3, and is for sale ;-)

Here's a link to the build log: DIY Electric Vehicle from Recycled Parts

How are the storage's inside the car?

My main complaints with the Model S are there are noticeably lack of storage inside the cabin as in there are no storage at the doors and the central console is not well design. The cup holders at the arm rest are ergonomically badly positioned.

I was honestly not sure I'd buy the car until I got a chance to check out the storage (I was really hoping for a hatch).

The storage in this thing is amazing and very well thought out. The truck is big enough to fit TWO Rubbermaid "Action Packers" without folding down the seats. I've tried to put these things in various BMW 3-series cars and none have been able to fit more than one, and even that was extremely tight with the lid on. Most can't fit even the one through the trunk opening. The Model 3 swallows them up. There's also enough room under the trunk floor for a moderate sized duffle bag. All that without even touching the frunk or passenger cabin.

The center console has a non-adjustible armrest (with surprisingly large storage and a 12V socket underneath). It's positioned right for me, but I have my seat pretty far back. In a Model S or X, I always have to slide the armrests forward to be comfy for me, so I suspect the 3's armrest is positioned well for most.

Further forward, under the display, is more storage. Two doors in the console that pivot out of the way to reveal a nice sized cavity underneath. The phone holder tray is a great feature that I use all the time to hold and charge my Pixel 2. It also folds up out of the way to give easier access to the cavity underneath.

The frunk is where I put my backpack when I want it securely stowed. I've fit two backpacks in there easily. It's also big enough to hold a carry-on bag with room to spare.

The doors have "map pockets" with a rounded spot towards the front of the door that holds my water bottle perfectly. This water bottle won't fit in any cupholder that I've come across (including the Model 3's), but it fits in the door pocket bottle holder like it was made for it.

Wondering if you've driven a Model S for any amount of time and could compare the seats between the two models?

We have an S now that I find super comfortable and a Model 3 on reserve. I've seen the 3 in person, but not driven it, and pretty much from people's descriptions of being in one as far as amenities and handling it sounds great. Really interested about the comfort and adjustability of the seats though, which to me is one of the most important things inside the car especially on long road trips. When we bought a Camry a while back as our second car and drove it down to central California, we knew we had made a mistake that unfortunately we were stuck with for 8 years (our other car is an Avalon and a very comfortable ride). When we use to drive down State with our Hondas we would always feel tired from a 4 - 4-1/2 hour drive. Not with the Avalon. Just hoping that "downsizing" with the Model 3 will still feel like sitting in our Model S seat-wise. Think you said you've made a long distance trip already so appreciate your feedback on this.

Last edited:
Wondering if you've driven a Model S for any amount of time and could compare the seats between the two models?

We have an S now that I find super comfortable and a Model 3 on reserve. I've seen the 3 in person, but not driven it, and pretty much from people's descriptions of being in one as far as amenities and handling it sounds great. Really interested about the comfort and adjustability of the seats though, which to me is one of the most important things inside the car especially on long road trips. When we bought a Camry a while back as our second car and drove it down to central California, we knew we had made a mistake that unfortunately we were stuck with for 8 years (our other car is an Avalon and a very comfortable ride). When we use to drive down State with our Hondas we would always feel tired from a 4 - 4-1/2 hour drive. Not with the Avalon. Just hoping that "downsizing" with the Model 3 will still feel like sitting in our Model S seat-wise. Think you said you've made a long distance trip already so appreciate your feedback on this.

I've spent a fair amount of time in pretty much every variant of Model S and X. I've got a base model S right now as a service loaner and the seats on that are less comfortable than my 3.

The Model 3 seats were good for me on my trip to LA. I'd like it if the front of the cushion would adjust a bit higher, but that's common on most cars I've driven.

Reactions: SMAlset
Looks great! Maybe you should look into tinting your front windshield with a barely visible but high quality tint. I recently had my entire car done with CR70 3M Crystaline and am very happy with it. 70% of the light comes through but it cuts heat by 50%. The higher the quality of the tint, the more heat is blocked while still being clear. That way you can tint front sides and windshield without getting pulled over. The front windshield is so big, it make a differences for the overall interior heat and it is just very comfortable (less radiant heat on you). Also gives it a nice uniform look. Because it is a custom job and you have to buy a high quality tint for the front window (to be able to get sufficient heat blockage without being dark) it is more expensive to do. My tint is barely visible. And because the entire car is done with CR 70, you can still see all the way through the car from any angle. So I am less likely to get in trouble.

• Informative
Reactions: ahagge and navguy12
I'm getting about 240-280Wh/mi. I'm confident it would go the full 310 miles if I weren't driving it 80mph on the freeway. I was very impressed with the range on my LA trip. I'll have an even better idea of its actual capability when I take it up to WA state later this month.

Tint was for looks. The glass roof is plenty dark from the factory. No complaints about sun or heat from me. I can look directly at the sun through the roof with my sunglasses on (though just barely)

Got quotes around $750-1000, decided to do it myself. As such, it doesn't hold up all that well to scrutinizing, but I'm pleased with it overall. The mirror mounts were the toughest part.

I'm keeping them for road trips.

I'm 6'3" and I fit in the back no problem. It feels more roomy in the back for me than a Model S (I've ridden in both).

Just to be clear: 240-280 Wh/mi is for a steady-state 80mph on flat ground in (what) weather conditions? Trying to constrain things better :)

Just to be clear: 240-280 Wh/mi is for a steady-state 80mph on flat ground in (what) weather conditions? Trying to constrain things better :)
In another post @mauswerkz posted the 240 kWh was for commuting, 280 for freeway driving.
Those numbers are somewhat combined. I'm getting around the higher end of that range since getting the wheels, but that's also just my commute. The lower end of that range was freeway driving with the stock 18's installed.

Okay, so 280 Wh/mi in "mixed speed" highway driving with 19" wheels?
I believe he said he was using 20" aftermarket wheels at 80 mph from Bay Area to LA, which is basically flat with no significant elevation change except at the Grapevine. The lower 240 Wh/mi was local commute using his stock 18" wheels. I don't think he ever had 19" wheels on his car.

Last edited:
VMR V710 20x9 ET35 5x114.3 wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35/20 tires

So glad to see these wheels are possible. I had the VMR718s on my car the 3 is replacing (same design, one more set of dual spokes) but would probably go 710s in the future as they are easier to wash.

Was the ET35 a standard offset they offer on that size? I see the 20x9 and 5x114.3 on the site but, no mention of available offsets. I assume yours are the matte black finish.

So glad to see these wheels are possible. I had the VMR718s on my car the 3 is replacing (same design, one more set of dual spokes) but would probably go 710s in the future as they are easier to wash.

Was the ET35 a standard offset they offer on that size? I see the 20x9 and 5x114.3 on the site but, no mention of available offsets. I assume yours are the matte black finish.

They machined the wheels to match the measurements I gave them. I'm not sure how they handle the offset, but they didn't have any objections when I gave them the offset number I did. Yes, they're matte black.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Hey everyone, just posting some more photos for your enjoyment. First, a batch of photos from a recent trip I took up in to Washington state.

IMG_20171229_114036.jpg

IMG_20171229_101506.jpg IMG_20171228_145522.jpg

Next, VMR arranged a photoshoot of my car since I got my wheels from them. Enjoy the eye candy! More on their Flickr here: V710 Matte Black 20" | Tesla Model 3

v710-matte-black-20--tesla-model-3_27265040439_o.jpg

v710-matte-black-20--tesla-model-3_39005141382_o.jpg v710-matte-black-20--tesla-model-3_38155774555_o.jpg

Hi All! First post on this forum. Took delivery of my Model 3 (long range, premium upgrades, pearl white) back in October and I've been loving it. This is my first brand new car and also the first that I can't really do crazy mods to (I'm used to engine swaps, EV conversions, etc).

This is the first car where I'm basically limited to cosmetic mods and wheels/tires.

Here's what I've got so far:

Tinted windows (40%) sides and rear.
Blacked out chrome
Front bumper "shadow" added
VMR V710 20x9 ET35 5x114.3 wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35/20 tires
View attachment 264465
View attachment 264459View attachment 264466
View attachment 264463 View attachment 264458 View attachment 264462

VMR was great to work with. I had to take measurements of the hub (and brake rotor retaining bolt) to make sure they would fit without issue. They machined them up for me and they went on with no issue. I love them!

Overall, the car is amazing. It's a blast to throw around in the hills, loves twisty roads, and is certainly more sport-oriented than the other Teslas I've driven. Steering is super quick, very responsive, and with good feedback. It's a very quick car, but it's no P100D. It feels very light, deceivingly so.

I drove it from the SF bay area to LA a few weeks back and it was wonderful on the freeway!
Beautiful. BTW, what is the name of the tire store you bought the wheels from? How much did the wheels cost each?