Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Pearl white side body scrape. Best fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I scraped my 2021 Pearl White MY in a tight parking garage coming around a turn. Luckily it was only a scratch. I buffed it & it's just chipped paint, like rash. The rest came off. Not worth insurance claim, but not sure if I should contact tesla either. I've read about: Tesla's paint kit, TouchUpDirect.com, & Dr. Color Chip. I don't know what the best option is, hoping someone can guide me. Not trying to spend thousands but not sure how good of a job I'll do with the kits. It doesn't seem like it needs much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpg
    IMG_4055.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_4056.jpg
    IMG_4056.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_4057.jpg
    IMG_4057.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_4058.jpg
    IMG_4058.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4059.jpg
    IMG_4059.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 229
I would try using an airbrush first, if you're going with the autobody shop eventually. You're not going to hurt anything and it'll be a good learning experience. My understanding is a lot of detailers who can fix little nicks and scrapes, actually use a microbrush to touch up paint. However you'll need a really good airbrush, not one of those cheap $25 Amazon things.

I would try using an airbrush first, if you're going with the autobody shop eventually. You're not going to hurt anything and it'll be a good learning experience. My understanding is a lot of detailers who can fix little nicks and scrapes, actually use a microbrush to touch up paint. However you'll need a really good airbrush, not one of those cheap $25 Amazon things.
Do you have a recommendation?

Do you have a recommendation?
I have an Iwata Eclipse that I used for modeling. It's a dual action brush that can be used to create fine lines if need be. I haven't tried it on my car yet, but I'm going to because one of my kids put a scratch in the door of my metallic red dually pickup. The nice thing about the better airbrushes is they give you fine control over the volume and width of the spray. And because the mist is so fine, the paint tends to dry rapidly. My plan is to mask the area off and spray it fine, and then use a microfiber rag with some compound on it to clean off the excess. Repeat as necessary to build up the finish so it's level and then buff it all out and polish.

https://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-...ix=iwata+eclip,aps,127&sr=8-4#customerReviews