Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Performance Tire situation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've reviewed all of my records including my order configuration and while it states that my Performance model includes the 21" Uberturbines, it is not disclosed anywhere that they will come with Summer Tires. Further, it is not disclosed to the customer that there are NO other options for tires. With winter approaching, the car as provided by Tesla is unsafe to drive in temperatures below 50 degrees according to the Pirelli specs for the P Zero. This should have been disclosed to the customer prior to purchase that this is a warm weather vehicle only. I don't need snow tires, so the newly added Gemini wheel set is not an option for me. The decision to force all Performance customers into a wheel and tire that can only be driven in warm weather is a real head scratcher. My plan when I began evaluating the car back in July was to get the Performance model without the Performance Upgrade Package (Uberturbines, spoiler, and brakes) and get the 20in induction wheels. By the time I was ready to order they did away with the PUP option and made it a requirement for purchase. I'm beyond pissed at Tesla that I will now have to shell out big bucks just to make my car safe for winter in Atlanta.

I've reviewed all of my records including my order configuration and while it states that my Performance model includes the 21" Uberturbines, it is not disclosed anywhere that they will come with Summer Tires. Further, it is not disclosed to the customer that there are NO other options for tires. With winter approaching, the car as provided by Tesla is unsafe to drive in temperatures below 50 degrees according to the Pirelli specs for the P Zero. This should have been disclosed to the customer prior to purchase that this is a warm weather vehicle only. I don't need snow tires, so the newly added Gemini wheel set is not an option for me. The decision to force all Performance customers into a wheel and tire that can only be driven in warm weather is a real head scratcher. My plan when I began evaluating the car back in July was to get the Performance model without the Performance Upgrade Package (Uberturbines, spoiler, and brakes) and get the 20in induction wheels. By the time I was ready to order they did away with the PUP option and made it a requirement for purchase. I'm beyond pissed at Tesla that I will now have to shell out big bucks just to make my car safe for winter in Atlanta.

IMO Atlanta climate for the winter is fine for the summer tires. How many days over the next 3 months will temperatures be under 40 degrees for a prolonged period of time?

IMO Atlanta climate for the winter is fine for the summer tires. How many days over the next 3 months will temperatures be under 40 degrees for a prolonged period of time?
We frequently have long stretches of days where the temps are below 40 degrees. It's also not uncommon for the temps to reach into the single digits. On a day with freezing temperatures, my car will sit in the parking lot at work while the tires turn into hockey pucks. Forget the possibility of cracking, I'm more worried about loss of traction if I had to brake suddenly or swerve to avoid something at highway speeds.

Should Tesla mention that their performance version Y with 21" wheels and lowered suspension comes with performance tires? I guess; you're not the first to mention this. I think the fault also lies with the buyer for not understanding that a car with those specs would be seriously--and rightly--faulted for not coming with performance tires. It's not a head scratcher at all; this is what high performance cars with the handling package come with.

Tesla can't and shouldn't try to educate buyers on every aspect of owning a car. That said, I'll agree that this is pretty near the line where they should include some education. It does seem that people know less and less about cars every year.

Should Tesla mention that their performance version Y with 21" wheels and lowered suspension comes with performance tires? I guess; you're not the first to mention this. I think the fault also lies with the buyer for not understanding that a car with those specs would be seriously--and rightly--faulted for not coming with performance tires. It's not a head scratcher at all; this is what high performance cars with the handling package come with.

Tesla can't and shouldn't try to educate buyers on every aspect of owning a car. That said, I'll agree that this is pretty near the line where they should include some education. It does seem that people know less and less about cars every year.
On top of not educating customers, they didn’t have a winter wheel package available until after the temps had dropped well below 40 in parts of the country leaving their user base with literally no option to prevent serious safety issues.

So I would say the fault absolutely lies with Tesla.

On top of not educating customers, they didn’t have a winter wheel package available until after the temps had dropped well below 40 in parts of the country leaving their user base with literally no option to prevent serious safety issues.

So I would say the fault absolutely lies with Tesla.
Literally no option??? Ummm, no. Who gets their winter wheels and tires from the dealer anyway? Way better and cheaper options from the aftermarket. For a long time now. I had my winter wheels & tires back in July. And they're better wheels and tires than Tesla's to boot. But I did have to pay less money than the Tesla set I guess.

Thanks for the lesson. I'm well aware of how a car with performance specs comes equipped. I've owned BMW M cars, Porsche 911's, and a Nissan GTR. I love fast cars that handle like they're on rails. This is not that car. I bought the performance model because I would not be able to stand knowing that there was a Model Y faster than mine. The lowered suspension, red brakes and big wheels look awesome, but this is not a track car like those others. It's an SUV. Fast as hell... but an SUV nonetheless. What I take issue with is the fact that before they made the bonehead decision to force everyone into those performance enhancements, I could have bought this car with 19 or 20 inch wheels giving me all kinds of options when it came to tires. I had no idea after they ditched the PUP that I would not be able to put performance all season tires (which would be perfect for this car in Atlanta year round) on this car without shelling out a couple grand for new wheels. Again.. they sold me a car with exactly one option for tires... ONE!

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44 and rklip
Literally no option??? Ummm, no. Who gets their winter wheels and tires from the dealer anyway? Way better and cheaper options from the aftermarket. For a long time now. I had my winter wheels & tires back in July. And they're better wheels and tires than Tesla's to boot. But I did have to pay less money than the Tesla set I guess.
No option that didn’t void the warranty. Literally.

I had no idea after they ditched the PUP that I would not be able to put performance all season tires (which would be perfect for this car in Atlanta year round) on this car without shelling out a couple grand for new wheels. Again.. they sold me a car with exactly one option for tires... ONE!
I ordered my Y before they were available to buy. I had fewer resources available for research than you did. I had no problem whatsoever discerning that I would need a second set of wheels & tires. You could have easily sold your 21s when they were new for enough to pay for new wheels & tires. You chose not to research. You chose not to sell the 21s. I get it, I was planning on selling the 21s, but kept them because I liked them so much. You feel that Tesla should have informed you what tires the car came with. I agree with you. I also think that since you didn't know what tires it came with you should have done due diligence. 5 minutes of Googling would have told you. You want people to feel sorry for you because your Performance Y came with great performance tires. Some will. I don't. Sorry I don't feel sorry. I do feel sorry for folks that have build quality problems or defects. I just don't for people that got exactly what they ordered.

Any reason why these 2 tires are not an option?

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Sport+A/S+&partnum=635YR1ADSASPXL&i1_Qty=2

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Sport+A/S+&partnum=735YR1ADSASPXL&i1_Qty=2

Fronts are: Height difference +.3" and width +.4"... shouldn't be any rubbing issues. Speed error 1mph at 90mph but since the rears are exact fit the error should be split between the two for 1/2mph difference.

Rears are exact fit

Loads

Fronts: stock 98, these 101
Rears: stock 103, these 103

I am considering this setup. Anybody see any downsides?

PS the links seem to be broken for me. Search manually for:

YOKOHAMA ADVAN SPORT A/S+ - SIZE: 265/35R21

YOKOHAMA ADVAN SPORT A/S+ - SIZE: 275/35R21

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank N. Stein

Don't get too discouraged! Pick up a lightweight set of aftermarket 20's and you'll have all the tire options you're looking for. Go for a square setup and even better! Plus you'll improve your range!

You should be able to recoup your $$ selling the Überturbines. Don't sweat it too much. Someone might even trade ya their Inductions...

Nokian makes winter tires in the 21" size for the Y... I have a Performance Y on order, I too, wanted the performance Y without the Performance package, but whatever. You think you have issues in Atlanta. I live in Alaska... We barely see days that don't go below 50F in the summer.... I did verify with Tesla that I can run different size rims. Planning on a high performance aftermarket set for my winter tires. And of course there is now a pricey winter tire package.

Reactions: Frank N. Stein
Any reason why these 2 tires are not an option?

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Sport+A/S+&partnum=635YR1ADSASPXL&i1_Qty=2

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Sport+A/S+&partnum=735YR1ADSASPXL&i1_Qty=2

Fronts are: Height difference +.3" and width +.4"... shouldn't be any rubbing issues. Speed error 1mph at 90mph but since the rears are exact fit the error should be split between the two for 1/2mph difference.

Rears are exact fit

Loads

Fronts: stock 98, these 101
Rears: stock 103, these 103

I am considering this setup. Anybody see any downsides?

PS the links seem to be broken for me. Search manually for:

YOKOHAMA ADVAN SPORT A/S+ - SIZE: 265/35R21

YOKOHAMA ADVAN SPORT A/S+ - SIZE: 275/35R21

Those should work fine. The only reason it's not listed as an option is because it's not the stock tire size in the front. I plan on running these same sizes this weekend when i pickup my wheels/tires. I'm going with the MIchellin Pilot Sport All Seaons 4s though.

Those should work fine. The only reason it's not listed as an option is because it's not the stock tire size in the front. I plan on running these same sizes this weekend when i pickup my wheels/tires. I'm going with the MIchellin Pilot Sport All Seaons 4s though.

Please post back with some feedback how the fit is and the ride quality... I may be considering the Michelins as well. Dont really have a preference at the moment, just need options for when/if I get the MYP. Thanks

I've never heard so much crying about max performance summer tires coming standard on a high performance variant. Folks are acting like other manufacturers don't sell cars with summer tires. I've seen countless posts about Tesla "misleading" consumers with the tires on the Performance Y. If the OEM tires on the MYP are an issue, either get a new set of wheels, buy new tires or don't buy the car. You can always opt for the LR as well...problem solved.

Btw, I live in Atlanta and have for many years with high performance cars. You don't need all season or winter tires. It's not necessary.

I've never heard so much crying about max performance summer tires coming standard on a high performance variant. Folks are acting like other manufacturers don't sell cars with summer tires. I've seen countless posts about Tesla "misleading" consumers with the tires on the Performance Y. If the OEM tires on the MYP are an issue, either get a new set of wheels, buy new tires or don't buy the car. You can always opt for the LR as well...problem solved.

Btw, I live in Atlanta and have for many years with high performance cars. You don't need all season or winter tires. It's not necessary.

Seriously its out of control. Shutup and stop whining. If you're complaining about your PERFORMANCE Y coming with PERFORMANCE summer tires, the car isn't for you.

OP - you claim to have owned porsches and be a car enthusiast? But its hard for you to source a different set of wheels and tires? Cmon man... you sound like a little baby who isn't a performance enthusiast. By the way I really wouldn't call the performance Y an SUV - it is seriouuuusly capable on track.