Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Performance Tire situation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why people stop posting on forums. There’s no need to tell someone to shut up and stop whining and question their past vehicle purchases simply because you disagree with them.

I see nothing wrong with saying that the specs of the tires should have been highlighted on the ordering pages since they are summer tires. I know I would have liked that information. Go build a WRX, it says it in multiple places and even has warnings.

Either way, I learned something from the OPs post. I had no idea the Performance model came with summers.

I want to chime in as someone who is ordering a MYP that is aware of this issue ahead of time. I do think it is quite annoying that there is no non-summer tire option available, even after market, that matches the stock tire sizes. Given that, I think there should have been an option for something like 20" Uber Turbines in the configurator, even if the cost was the same and even if they initially came with summer tires mounted. At least we could then change out the tires for something that would work year round and be done with it without buying new wheels.

That said though, I still am going with the MYP eyes wide open because I like everything else about it. It's just a trade off and doing research ahead of time before making a large purchase.

Reactions: Jbapckfan and Nakk
I want to chime in as someone who is ordering a MYP that is aware of this issue ahead of time. I do think it is quite annoying that there is no non-summer tire option available, even after market, that matches the stock tire sizes. Given that, I think there should have been an option for something like 20" Uber Turbines in the configurator, even if the cost was the same and even if they initially came with summer tires mounted. At least we could then change out the tires for something that would work year round and be done with it without buying new wheels.

That said though, I still am going with the MYP eyes wide open because I like everything else about it. It's just a trade off and doing research ahead of time before making a large purchase.
There are three (two all season and one winter) tire combinations available for the 21" Uberturbine wheels. While they're not in the OEM sizes, a slight adjustment to the width and/or aspect ratio should not prove problematic on stock suspension.

There are three (two all season and one winter) tire combinations available for the 21" Uberturbine wheels. While they're not in the OEM sizes, a slight adjustment to the width and/or aspect ratio should not prove problematic on stock suspension.

Can you point me to them? I have checked on tire rack in addition to reaching out to Michelin directly to no avail. Does it involve a wider front tire like 265 (possibly leading to less efficiency)?

Same boat. I live where I can run summer tires every day of the year, and would still option the Induction wheels for my MYP order if Tesla allowed it. The situation is especially absurd if you credit the rumors that Tesla's MYP production delays have been due to supply constraints for the 21"s--they literally have a line of people waiting to give them money for the highest margin trim, many of whom would gladly take smaller wheels and increase that margin even further.

Reactions: airbrett
Can you point me to them? I have checked on tire rack in addition to reaching out to Michelin directly to no avail. Does it involve a wider front tire like 265 (possibly leading to less efficiency)?
As I mentioned in my post, at this time you won't find alternative non-summer tire combinations (both front and rear) in the OEM size of 255/35 R21 XL (Front) and 275/35 R21 XL (Rear). The rear tires are not the issue. You will find 275/35 R21 XL in the following: Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3, Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S+, and Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. For the front tires you will have to select a non-OEM width and/or aspect ratio.

Seriously its out of control. Shutup and stop whining. If you're complaining about your PERFORMANCE Y coming with PERFORMANCE summer tires, the car isn't for you.

OP - you claim to have owned porsches and be a car enthusiast? But its hard for you to source a different set of wheels and tires? Cmon man... you sound like a little baby who isn't a performance enthusiast. By the way I really wouldn't call the performance Y an SUV - it is seriouuuusly capable on track.

I was more or less going to say the same thing. How can someone that “apparently” had a GTR. Would think that changing tires would void the warranty?

As I mentioned in my post, at this time you won't find alternative non-summer tire combinations (both front and rear) in the OEM size of 255/35 R21 XL (Front) and 275/35 R21 XL (Rear). The rear tires are not the issue. You will find 275/35 R21 XL in the following: Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3, Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S+, and Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. For the front tires you will have to select a non-OEM width and/or aspect ratio.

I figured out what you are saying and found them. For those reading this convo, to save you some effort, he means search for 265/35-21 for the front size and filter by Ultra High Perf All Season. The Michelin and Yokohama referenced above are the two UHP A/S options available in both that size and 275/35-21. The diameter works out.

I’ll look into this as an option over switching to 20’s.

I figured out what you are saying and found them. For those reading this convo, to save you some effort, he means search for 265/35-21 for the front size and filter by Ultra High Perf All Season. The Michelin and Yokohama referenced above are the two UHP A/S options available in both that size and 275/35-21. The diameter works out.

I’ll look into this as an option over switching to 20’s.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying you have three brand options for tires outside of the OEM Pirelli P Zero (PZ4). If you search for 265/35 R21 and filter by Ultra High Performance All Season you are excluding a portion of the population based on brand, width, aspect ratio or a combination thereof. Notably, the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 would not be included. It's a proper winter performance tire and could be in your consideration set depending on where you live. I can tell you from experience, an Ultra High Performance All Season will not serve you well if you live in Colorado for example.