Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My phone refuses to stay paired with the vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
It's an Android LG G6 if that makes any difference ... and a LR Y of course

When I get in the car and move the shifter to D I get a pop-up that says I need to use a card key :(

When I check the phone settings, it says I'm "connected to call and media audio" for the Y. I do have 5 devices paired if that makes a difference

I've tried rebooting the phone to no avail but if I walk away and type up a post like this, then when I come back, the phone is properly connected and I can use it to start the car

What am I missing? Do I have to carry the keys, or get a smart ring?

btw, I did RTFM and it looks like the phone section on p141 suggests tapping the bluetooth icon in the car (although it also says the car will automatically connect to the phone once it sees it). I haven't tried that yet, so I'll have to wait until I get the keycard popup

There are 2 BT connections between the car and your phone. 1 for car key, and another for media and calls.

What you see in the phone BT menu is the connection for media and calls. It has nothing to do with the car key functionality.

I’d suggest you phone in the car key and re add it. I don’t have Android so can’t offer other Android specific solutions.