Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Plaid is bricked. Plugged in. Need trunk access.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS Plaid has been parked at my house, plugged in, for the last few days. I went to drive it this evening and it’s completely dead. Doors don’t open with app, key card or fob. No lights, charger won’t disengage. completely dead. App doesn’t communicate with the car.

I need access to my trunk tomorrow. How the hell do I get into it?

Also, I scheduled service here in dallas via the app, (on wed.) but there’s no way the car is getting to them without being towed there. how the hell do I get tesla to come pick up this piece of crap?

Anyone experience this with their face lifted MS? Any way of resetting the car? Anyway of getting into the trunk? Any way of getting a damn person on the phone at tesla to come pick this thing up?

So frustrating.

For further details, here are the alerts that were present when I went into the app to schedule service.
C3618524-7E75-48BD-9993-F3D18C4B2F59.png

That error message is VCBATT_a191 from here: Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla

That is most likely the 12V battery is dead, which will lock you completely out of the car.

I don't know about Plaid, you'll need to look it up, but on Model 3 there are two wires in the front bumper under the tow hook door that you can connect to a small battery to open the frunk, and then get access to the 12V battery. If you can jump the 12V or replace it, you can get access to the trunk.

For further details, here are the alerts that were present when I went into the app to schedule service. View attachment 773924
My Plaid is in service for this exact thing since Monday. Down to the error codes.

Had to have it jumped and towed to SC. They originally thought it was the 12V, but now believe it's the rear drive inverter, which they are replacing. They haven't confirmed that's the issue, but that's where they're going since it isn't solely the 12V.

Solution has been shared, but pop off the front tow hook door in the bumper, jump the two wires to access frunk. Then, take off trim at top of frunk to expose jump point for car. I have an external battery jumper that was enough to start car, open trunk, get stuff out, and put into tow mode for the tow.

They gave me a loaner so I'm not as pressed, but a one day repair they now believe will be up to 9 days as they order parts.

My Plaid is in service for this exact thing since Monday. Down to the error codes.

Had to have it jumped and towed to SC. They originally thought it was the 12V, but now believe it's the rear drive inverter, which they are replacing. They haven't confirmed that's the issue, but that's where they're going since it isn't solely the 12V.

Solution has been shared, but pop off the front tow hook door in the bumper, jump the two wires to access frunk. Then, take off trim at top of frunk to expose jump point for car. I have an external battery jumper that was enough to start car, open trunk, get stuff out, and put into tow mode for the tow.

They gave me a loaner so I'm not as pressed, but a one day repair they now believe will be up to 9 days as they order parts.
Great insight Spyde. Out of curiosity, had you installed the recent update that dealt with updating the cellular in the car? I had tried a few times but each time I was greeted with an “update didn’t install” the next morning. The update message warned that if the update wasn’t installed, that the car would lose OTA communication ability.

I love this car, but dang between the vibration issue, the periodic freezing of the AC condenser and now this, It’s becoming increasingly difficult.

Mind keeping this thread updated with info as you get more details from service? I’ll do the same.

Reactions: Spyderman09
Great insight Spyde. Out of curiosity, had you installed the recent update that dealt with updating the cellular in the car? I had tried a few times but each time I was greeted with an “update didn’t install” the next morning. The update message warned that if the update wasn’t installed, that the car would lose OTA communication ability.

I love this car, but dang between the vibration issue, the periodic freezing of the AC condenser and now this, It’s becoming increasingly difficult.

Mind keeping this thread updated with info as you get more details from service? I’ll do the same.
Yep, for sure. Will keep this thread updated. I'm just as curious how they plan to fix, because the SC didn't really sound confident it was the inverter - kind of just a "well, it's not the 12V so we'll try this," but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They plan to give me an update on Mon/Tues

I hadn't had any really recent software updates - I think the last update I had was maybe 2 weeks ago with nothing pending (as far as I can tell). No FSD. So weird, as I drove it the day before about 150 miles over 4 separate drives, and not a single issue. Fortunately it died at home and not away, I guess.

Reactions: Cysco
That error message is VCBATT_a191 from here: Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla

That is most likely the 12V battery is dead, which will lock you completely out of the car.

I don't know about Plaid, you'll need to look it up, but on Model 3 there are two wires in the front bumper under the tow hook door that you can connect to a small battery to open the frunk, and then get access to the 12V battery. If you can jump the 12V or replace it, you can get access to the trunk.
Had these errors on My Plaid last week after 2022.4.5.2…

@WilliamG

• Informative
Reactions: DeepFrz
Great to hear it is getting serviced. And let's hope it isn't bricked. Bricked is a specific term that means an electric component is unserviceable. Let's hope it is just a dead 12V battery.
I hope you’re right, but fear you are not. Even when we got the 12v jumper on the car it flashed a bunch of errors on the dash about electrical system failure and shutting down the car. Sure sounds like whatever Spyder above experienced is happening to my car too and replacing the 12v battery did not fix his issues.

I hope you’re right, but fear you are not. Even when we got the 12v jumper on the car it flashed a bunch of errors on the dash about electrical system failure and shutting down the car. Sure sounds like whatever Spyder above experienced is happening to my car too and replacing the 12v battery did not fix his issues.
Time will tell, but hope it is a short time ;)

Reactions: advocate8
My MS Plaid has been parked at my house, plugged in, for the last few days. I went to drive it this evening and it’s completely dead. Doors don’t open with app, key card or fob. No lights, charger won’t disengage. completely dead. App doesn’t communicate with the car.

Also, I scheduled service here in dallas via the app, (on wed.) but there’s no way the car is getting to them without being towed there. how the hell do I get tesla to come pick up this piece of crap?

Anyone experience this with their face lifted MS? Any way of resetting the car? Anyway of getting into the trunk? Any way of getting a damn person on the phone at tesla to come pick this thing up?

So frustrating.
As mentioned above, open the hood and apply + to the emergency terminal under the trim. The second mechanical option is to press the gap between the central pillar and the glass of the front door, open the door with a wire hook, fold back the rear seat, open the trunk with an emergency cable under the trunk lid trim

So frustrating.

You can call Tesla Roadside 877-798-3752 in the mean time you can try to access the 12V battery and apply power to it. If you pull the front fender liners back where they connect to the front bumper you should see some manual cable release for the funk. (They should be there unless they changed it for the Plaid S) Pull cables driver side should be primary release passenger side should be secondary release. If the cables are not there they may have updated the Plaids. If updated there should be jump connectors behind a circular access cover on the front bumper. Take the cover off access the red and black wire connect 12V power to the wires (red wire positive black wire negative) Once you release the frunk hood lift the plastic covers and expose the 12V lithium ion Battery. Connect to the positive terminal and then to body ground. See if you can open the doors and access you GUI on the screen to open your trunk. If the screen is not on but you can open the doors attempt to release the rear seats from the latches fold them down and gain access to your trunk.