Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Plaid is bricked. Plugged in. Need trunk access.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Cysco Not sure if this matters to you at this point but I just got a call from Tesla service that said my car is back up and running.

Apparently the "engineering" department found a firmware issue that some Plaids are having and they were able to clear it and get it back running fine without replacing the drive unit.

Would probably be worth mentioning to them regardless if they replace the drive unit or not.

@Cysco Not sure if this matters to you at this point but I just got a call from Tesla service that said my car is back up and running.

Apparently the "engineering" department found a firmware issue that some Plaids are having and they were able to clear it and get it back running fine without replacing the drive unit.

Would probably be worth mentioning to them regardless if they replace the drive unit or not.
Back up and running, until it’s not. Please let us know if the fix holds, or not.

For anyone curious, here's exactly the parts that were replaced/work done on mine. I'm gonna venture Cysco's will look similar since they've tracked so far but possibly slightly different based on parts replaced.

Screenshot_20220316-130826_Drive.jpg

Are
You
Freak'n
Kidding
Me!!!!!!!!!!

after being told my car will be back to me "early this week" It is now friday. I hit up tesla via the app and finally get a call from someone at the service center. "Oh, we're sorry, we informed you wrong. We ordered an inverter and not the drive unit. We spent all week trying to install that but that doesn't seem to be working. We may have to order a drive unit."

WTF!!!!!!

You told me you were replacing the drive unit. There is confirmation from @Spyderman09 that his drive unit was replaced and it fixed the car.

I am now being told that they still can't confirm that it's the drive unit. they are working with "Tesla engineering" to figure out the problem, but they "think" it's the drive unit. OF COURSE IT'S THE DRIVE UNIT!

We are coming up on a month with no end in sight.

I told the service dude "Just give me a new car. I'm sick of this." He's having his manager call me today.

So rage inducing.

/rant

Are
You
Freak'n
Kidding
Me!!!!!!!!!!

after being told my car will be back to me "early this week" It is now friday. I hit up tesla via the app and finally get a call from someone at the service center. "Oh, we're sorry, we informed you wrong. We ordered an inverter and not the drive unit. We spent all week trying to install that but that doesn't seem to be working. We may have to order a drive unit."

WTF!!!!!!

You told me you were replacing the drive unit. There is confirmation from @Spyderman09 that his drive unit was replaced and it fixed the car.

I am now being told that they still can't confirm that it's the drive unit. they are working with "Tesla engineering" to figure out the problem, but they "think" it's the drive unit. OF COURSE IT'S THE DRIVE UNIT!

We are coming up on a month with no end in sight.

I told the service dude "Just give me a new car. I'm sick of this." He's having his manager call me today.

So rage inducing.

/rant

@Cysco Seems like you are eligible now to open a buyback claim with Tesla, given the time your car has been in service. Perhaps @WilliamG can help, re process.

@WilliamG

Reactions: WilliamG
Tomorrow marks the 1-month anniversary of my car dying and being towed to the service center.

Still not fixed.

I’ve asked my SA to submit my case for a buyback/replacement. He says he forwarded my info to someone in dallas who handles that. I don’t trust that he actually did anything.

If @WilliamG or anyone else has any insight into what I should do it’d be welcome.

Reactions: jebinc
Tomorrow marks the 1-month anniversary of my car dying and being towed to the service center.

Still not fixed.

I’ve asked my SA to submit my case for a buyback/replacement. He says he forwarded my info to someone in dallas who handles that. I don’t trust that he actually did anything.

If @WilliamG or anyone else has any insight into what I should do it’d be welcome.
If you have it in writing, that’s a start. If it’s been 30 days, you’re definitely well within your rights to ask for a buyback.

HOWEVER, you also need to determine if it’s worth it. For my car there were and still are so many things wrong with it. If your car it’s just the inverter and they’re waiting for a part, I would likely stick with it. Buybacks tend to include mileage deductions and you forego any sales tax savings if you did a trade-in etc.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Hey gang, Here’s the conclusion to this saga. I got the car back a week or so ago after it being in the shop for 5-weeks. I was told that they ordered a new drive unit and that it arrived, but before they installed it, Tesla Corporate told them to hold off. They sent in an engineer to diagnosis it because they believed there was no way the drive unit was the culprit. They were right. The Engineer was able to figure out that there was some odd firmware conflict with the inverter. They installed the new inverter, along with a bunch of other stuff. And did some software hack to the car and git it up and running like new. No idea why they had to replace the entire underside of the car, or the wiper hose, or the frunk release, but whatever, it’s back.

I was told there were two other cars with the exact same problem that came in after mine and that once mine got fixed, they were able to mimic the repair on the other two. I guess my car was the test mule lol.

I’ve attached the repair receipt to this post for others to reference in the future.

On the positive side, some combination of all the stuff they did to the car seems to have reduced the vibration issue I was also experiencing. So?

I’m just happy to get the car back. After being without it for so long I had forgotten how much fun it is to drive.

Attachments

• 40FD431B-7B01-4867-BF55-D40C82FA0566.jpeg
    40FD431B-7B01-4867-BF55-D40C82FA0566.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 30DD45D9-FE9C-4610-986E-4133B21CC597.jpeg
    30DD45D9-FE9C-4610-986E-4133B21CC597.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 08F40356-1FD5-4AD1-BE7D-0625985D64AA.jpeg
    08F40356-1FD5-4AD1-BE7D-0625985D64AA.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 62
I’m just happy to get the car back. After being without it for so long I had forgotten how much fun it is to drive.
Glad to hear you're back with car! That is quite a ridiculous saga but I guess (?) alls well that ends well. And hey, if it resulted in less vibration, all the better.

Mine is running well since getting it back, but given the freak nature of the issue in the first place (like yours, no warning, no power), there's still a small part of me that re-considers a firmware update when they are coming through. But, no problems since.

Reactions: Cysco and drtimhill