Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Plaid is bricked. Plugged in. Need trunk access.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the car has been at the service center since Saturday. Got a message from them this morning stating that they believe the issue is the “Drive Unit” and that a replacement “Drive Unit” has been ordered and that they hope to have my car back to me early next week. Ugh.

I’ve replied back asking them what exactly they mean by drive unit. are they talking about replacing all three motors? Seems weird that that would be the problem. Why would a defective motor cause the entire electrical system to shut down? Something tells me they’re just throwing darts at this point.

@Spyderman09 any update on yours?

Well the car has been at the service center since Saturday. Got a message from them this morning stating that they believe the issue is the “Drive Unit” and that a replacement “Drive Unit” has been ordered and that they hope to have my car back to me early next week. Ugh.

I’ve replied back asking them what exactly they mean by drive unit. are they talking about replacing all three motors? Seems weird that that would be the problem. Why would a defective motor cause the entire electrical system to shut down? Something tells me they’re just throwing darts at this point.

@Spyderman09 any update on yours?
It's the same message I got (replace rear drive unit) - the way they explained it is that the drive unit failed, leading to the system draining the 12V and shutdown.

Unfortunately, either my part is still on order or they just haven't prioritized it. Despite follow ups, nothing more than "still waiting on the part" - car has been in the SC for 10 days now and if they don't even have the part, not sure how they're gonna get it back to me. Radio silence to my reach out yesterday.

My frustrations are now mostly on the lack of communication. It was good to start (esp around timing updates) but lately nothing.

Yep, just got confirmation. Replacing rear drive unit. Part ordered. I have little hope I’ll be getting my car back anytime soon.

Seems pretty fishy that the exact same problem has hit two owners within a day or two of each other.

Yep, just got confirmation. Replacing rear drive unit. Part ordered. I have little hope I’ll be getting my car back anytime soon.

Seems pretty fishy that the exact same problem has hit two owners within a day or two of each other.
Definitely. I dunno if it's confirmation bias but I feel like I'm seeing more drive unit failures/12V shutdowns lately on the forum, even for non-refresh/Plaids.

I'm hopeful your part gets in soon. They ordered mine Tuesday (2-22) and haven't suggested they've even received it yet. Definitely disheartening.

Definitely. I dunno if it's confirmation bias but I feel like I'm seeing more drive unit failures/12V shutdowns lately on the forum, even for non-refresh/Plaids.

I'm hopeful your part gets in soon. They ordered mine Tuesday (2-22) and haven't suggested they've even received it yet. Definitely disheartening.
Update - they said they were expecting the components yesterday (one full week out from order) but a delay puts them at maybe getting them today. My SC contact said that Friday is an aggressive timeline (if they gets parts today) and otherwise will push into next week. Two full weeks out from when it got in, which sucks, but I guess it could be worse (I just hope it actually is the drive unit that fixes it - would suck more if that didn't even do it).
@Cysco

John
It's the same message I got (replace rear drive unit) - the way they explained it is that the drive unit failed, leading to the system draining the 12V and shutdown.

Unfortunately, either my part is still on order or they just haven't prioritized it. Despite follow ups, nothing more than "still waiting on the part" - car has been in the SC for 10 days now and if they don't even have the part, not sure how they're gonna get it back to me. Radio silence to my reach out yesterday.

My frustrations are now mostly on the lack of communication. It was good to start (esp around timing updates) but lately nothing.
Lemon Law it?

Reactions: Spyderman09
Yup, just dropped that today in my comm to them. That seems to have perked them up because I've been getting a flurry of updates, timing, etc. We'll see if they follow through, because if Friday rolls around, I am going to only escalate.
i think last time someone Lemon lawed Tesla they refused to sell him another car :) but don't you need the issue to happen 3 times and be unrepairable for the Lemon law to kick in?

speaking of lemon law/buy back, anyone know the rules with that? I always thought it was a "multiple repairs for the same issue" type thing, not a "been in the shop for 2-weeks" thing.

I've had three pretty major issues with my car. The vibration issue, a AC compressor that stops working under heavy load and now this replacing of the drive unit.

Reactions: 2101Guy
speaking of lemon law/buy back, anyone know the rules with that? I always thought it was a "multiple repairs for the same issue" type thing, not a "been in the shop for 2-weeks" thing.

I've had three pretty major issues with my car. The vibration issue, a AC compressor that stops working under heavy load and now this replacing of the drive unit.
Same major issue at least 3 times in first 18 months or during the warranty period i think,

Reactions: 2101Guy

Every state is different. Google your state’s law/thresholds.

i think last time someone Lemon lawed Tesla they refused to sell him another car :) but don't you need the issue to happen 3 times and be unrepairable for the Lemon law to kick in?
Every state is different. CO is a "unreasonable number of repairs" OR "an unreasonable amount of time to repair". Haven't necessarily hit the latter yet - I'm not necessarily planning to argue this out of the gate, but mentioning it did get some movement (as bad as it is to have to do) after a full 6 days of no response.

I agree that LL is a more nuclear option, but I feel like I've read on this forum that they consider buybacks/new orders - maybe not regularly, but again, I'm not planning to actually run the hoops immediately. Moreso to get responses.

Reactions: MrKool and jebinc
@Cysco - well, I'm not a happy camper. SC told me that part would be in Tuesday (but they told me it would be Wed of this week and that car would be ready today). Instead, I get a message today that "we've got shipping information that part will be in next Tuesday" (8th) and that they are targeting Thursday completion.

I sent a very polite but very strongly worded reply. It's one thing to have told me, at the outset, it would be 2.5 weeks - tough pill to swallow but I can live with it. It's another to straight lie to me, say that the part "will be landing today [this past Wednesday]" and then tell me that the part has now been ordered and expected a week later. All while not even knowing if this will be the fix. This started as a 1-day, then 9-day, now 17-day "repair" that they haven't even started yet.

Love the car, hate the service is definitely the truth. First time dealing with the SC and boy, I get it. Hoping for better luck for you, @Cysco

It's another to straight lie to me, say that the part "will be landing today [this past Wednesday]" and then tell me that the part has now been ordered and expected a week later.

I think they would be better off overestimating the shipment time. For example, if they told you from the outset (and set the expectation) that it would be 4 weeks to get the part in (assuming they provided a loaner) and then they got it in 2.5 weeks, you'd probably be more satisfied with the result.

Instead, they said one week which has now stretched to 2.5 weeks and is causing frustration.

I think they would be better off overestimating the shipment time. For example, if they told you from the outset (and set the expectation) that it would be 4 weeks to get the part in (assuming they provided a loaner) and then they got it in 2.5 weeks, you'd probably be more satisfied with the result.

Instead, they said one week which has now stretched to 2.5 weeks and is causing frustration.
That's exactly it. I mentally prepared myself for a month based on some discussion with others on this forum. So had they said 4, I would have been more than okay.

I'm still okay with 2.5 weeks, but it's exactly the moving goalposts that frustrate me. The timing was never really the issue, it was the communication.

which service center are you using?
Littleton. They told me they are opening a new one a little closer to me in April. Superior is non-operational since the fire, so I don't know what other one I'd go to anyway.

I haven't had any issues with folks here prior to this, and my last post was probably more venting than anything else. I know the team doesn't control the shipping/orders/handling, but they do control the communication and that's what got me.

Ugh. So sorry to hear @Spyderman09

I haven’t received an update from them since earlier in the week when they told me they were ordering the drive unit. Luckily for me, I’m heading off on vacation on Sunday for a week so it doesn’t matter for me if they don’t get the part. That said, I bet my wife that I wouldn’t get the car back until April. (Expect the worst hope for the best)

I couldn’t imagine dealing with this if it were my only car. Thanks for the stupid Uber credits Tesla! /facepalm.

• Funny
Ugh. So sorry to hear @Spyderman09

I haven’t received an update from them since earlier in the week when they told me they were ordering the drive unit. Luckily for me, I’m heading off on vacation on Sunday for a week so it doesn’t matter for me if they don’t get the part. That said, I bet my wife that I wouldn’t get the car back until April. (Expect the worst hope for the best)

I couldn’t imagine dealing with this if it were my only car. Thanks for the stupid Uber credits Tesla! /facepalm.

Enjoy vacay! Good thought to expect the worst and hope for the best. I'm shifting to that at this point. I'm looking forward to vacation in two weeks myself.

• Love
Reactions: Cysco
There is one in Loveland, CO that I will be going to next Wed. I did get delivery from Littleton and was not impressed with the people in the showroom/delivery. Just took our paperwork, assigned the car to us and assumed we knew how to drive it. At least there were very few, minor issues to take care of next week.