Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Plasti Dip experiment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aqua-phobic DYC top coat + rain patterns.

IMG_20160501_141628.jpg

IMG_20160501_141510.jpg
dip1.jpg

where did you get this done? I am in Toronto. . interested in doing that also

Hi xG35,
I got it done in my own garage ;-) I've been playing with Plastidip since 2014. If you go to the first page of this thread you'll see all the steps. But there are shops in Toronto of course, if you feel like leaving this to professionals ;-). I have no experience with any of them though.

is that aquqphobic layer like a wax? Does it help keep the car clean?

No, it's more like a transparent rubber layer a.k.a "Glossifier". One can regulate the gloss level by putting one or many coats of glossifier. In terms of keeping the surface clean - it's definitely less maintenance than the matte black where every mark was very visible. But I would say it's probably less efficient than Opti-coat and such.

• Informative
Reactions: AnOutsider
So I'm looking to dip my model S with a blue similar to what Hank showed. Any hints on # of gallons required for base coat, top coat, etc?

Depending on whether you want to make it brighter or darker put 4 base coats of regular black or grey (3 gallons), then 2 coats of DYC DipPearl DYC DipPearl TopCoat Gallon mixed with one of the KP Pigments. From the picture above I get you want Carbon Blue Pearl (this one Carbon Blue Pearl ). The usual proportion is 75 gram (3 packs) of pigment on 3 gallons of the TopCoat. And then you apply a number of coats of TopCoat without any pigment to make it shiny. The number depends on how much gloss you would prefer. DYC recommends 3-4 coats, but I personally like a bit more moderate gloss (2 coats). So we are talking about 2-3 gallons of DYC DIPPEARL TOPCOAT. So

If you plan to DIY then I recommend watching a lot of DYC videos DipYourCar and then practice on something other than your Tesla first ;-) The key is to apply sufficient number of coats so it's easy to peel when you decide to revert to the original look. Good luck.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Depending on whether you want to make it brighter or darker put 4 base coats of regular black or grey (3 gallons), then 2 coats of DYC DipPearl DYC DipPearl TopCoat Gallon mixed with one of the KP Pigments. From the picture above I get you want Carbon Blue Pearl (this one Carbon Blue Pearl ). The usual proportion is 75 gram (3 packs) of pigment on 3 gallons of the TopCoat. And then you apply a number of coats of TopCoat without any pigment to make it shiny. The number depends on how much gloss you would prefer. DYC recommends 3-4 coats, but I personally like a bit more moderate gloss (2 coats). So we are talking about 2-3 gallons of DYC DIPPEARL TOPCOAT. So

If you plan to DIY then I recommend watching a lot of DYC videos DipYourCar and then practice on something other than your Tesla first ;-) The key is to apply sufficient number of coats so it's easy to peel when you decide to revert to the original look. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Yes I've been watching lots of DYC videos. As Hank mentioned, going with the Deep Sea Blue kandy pearls. DYC suggested 4 gallons of black and 2.5 gallons top coat. I was going to go with 3 gallons black, and 2 gallons top coat, considering I'm not doing the roof. I was thinking of putting pearls into 1.5 gallon, and using the second hafl gallon for a top coat, since I prefer moderate gloss (2 coats?). I know that top coat goes on thinner, but am not sure if 1.5 gallon will give me 3 coats of the top coat or not. Grabbing extra gallons of everything is pretty expensive.

@ wolfpet do the handles stay cooler with the wrap? I am in the Seattle area and the handles get painfully hot in the summer.

Three effects are in play here:
1) Light absorption: Black plasti-dip (being black) will absorb more light energy than chrome, making it hotter.
2) Emissivity: Matte black plasti-dip probably radiates more energy (to the air) at a given temperature than chrome, making it cooler.
3) Thermal conductivity: Plasti-dip will transfer heat to your hand slower than metal even assuming the same temperature, making it cooler to touch.

Added together, it probably means the handles will be cooler to the touch.

Thank you kindly.