Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My pod-point experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still think the best plan is not to go via the manufactures but direct to an installer of your choice where possible
You can get the list of OLEV installers here: Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme authorised installers.
Find the local ones who fit the make you are looking for email or phone them and see who you get the best price and response from.
I found a one man local installer emailed him, he came round the next day to have a look. Fitted two weeks later for what, by OLEV standards, was a fair price. Obviously this won't work for everyone but for me it was much better than the lottery of the manufacturer appointed installer on a "fixed price standard installation"

Was it free though? The 2015 guidance suggests it was “up to 75%” and capped at £700 inc VAT maximum (now £500).

In terms of what’s changed - probably more accredited installers seeing it as a free £500 kickback.

Pod Point engineer just completed my installation. Was able to install in the exact location requested, looks like a really neat job and didn't ask for any additional payments. Engineer was employed directly by Pod Point, was happy to answer questions and gave a good demo of the product.

I won't know for certain that it works until my car arrives (Estimated Delivery: "-") however I've no reason to believe it won't.

Really can't complain for £59 all in :)

I still think the best plan is not to go via the manufactures but direct to an installer of your choice where possible
You can get the list of OLEV installers here: Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme authorised installers.
Find the local ones who fit the make you are looking for email or phone them and see who you get the best price and response from.
I found a one man local installer emailed him, he came round the next day to have a look. Fitted two weeks later for what, by OLEV standards, was a fair price. Obviously this won't work for everyone but for me it was much better than the lottery of the manufacturer appointed installer on a "fixed price standard installation"

I’m thinking the same. I found one near me and have nearly 100 5 stars feedback.

Have to say my customer experience has been poor.

Completed the paperwork only to be told the signatory for the OLEV grant was not good enough even though it was accepted for a colleague of mine. They then accepted this and on sending all the survey pics I was given a install date 3 + weeks away. Trying to call them to get this expidited is pointless as you just get put through to a full voice mailbox.

Right now I wish I had gone for the Anderson one, at least they are honest about the installation times.
Well today was the install date and I can't fault the engineer at all. Had a text before 7am advising he would be here for 8am, and he arrived nice and early.

Nice chap, good clean install and put the unit exactly where u wanted it, ran the cable neatly and got the job done. Took about 3hrs, with loss if power for about 10mins whilst he connected to live.

Only one issue when connecting to charge it would only go to 6A, which he then changed via some dip switches, so now running at 32A.

Dont much like the extended charge cable as its blue, but there was no colour choice.

Connected the unit to the Pod Point app and all working fine

Interesting update on this one.

Pod-point called me today to say they were aware of a subcontractor that had been fraudulently charging people for work that was either meant to be included in the install or hadn't been done at all. Asked if I had been requested to make any additional payments and to send evidence across if I had. This is being dealt with by the Police.

Also they're arranging a refund.

Interesting thread. I can report my Pod Point ordering and installation process last July was quick, efficient and painless. Install was very neat as well and the electrician was very helpful in explaining it's operation.

God help you though when it breaks after 7 months. Pointless calls to the help desk where all they do is tell you to check the fuse and make meaningless promises to escalate. When it finally get escalates you get sent an email to 'check the fuse'. You then start UK Law and small claims courts emails after which you get advised somebody will come to site in April to look at it.

One positive out if this is I can confirm the Tesla UK plug charger works well but slow

The guy who fitted mine gave me his mobile number and said if I have any issues just give him a ring, he said 90% of issues he can fit over the internet as long as it’s connected to the wifi (which mine is).

I also only paid for 3.4kw and he set it up for 7, saving me £90.

Based on my experience I would recommend them to anyone but I really guess it is about who turns up on your doorstep.

Just to add my 2 pence, our Podpoint installer was v. friendly, quick, and tidy. As anticipated, he said we needed gas/water earth bonding which he did for an extra 100 quid in cash (took him longer to do this than install the charger as there was an awkward cable run). Quotes I'd got from other local electricians were around £150 to do the bonding so this seemed like a decent deal.

The app/connectivity side of Podpoint seems like hot garbage though - apparently we've charged 60kWh in 2 days, which would be quite surprising as we've done 20 miles in that time and the battery was already full when the point was installed. But on the plus side all this electricity was apparently free; despite setting up the rate per kWh before charging all our charge sessions have been described in the app as "Free". Hopefully our electricity supplier will agree!