Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My portable 70A charging system for road trippin'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
photo-89.JPG

Here's the modified HPC attached to my 100A banded cable (50 feet long) and my modified Tesla plug (removed from the HPC and outfitted with camlock connectors).

In this case there's a breaker located at the HPC, which was only there because we were testing it for the first time and needed a breaker for safety (quick cutout). Normally this breaker is only needed at the panel.

This three-cable banded brings the 220VAC up to 50 feet from the source, in this case, a breaker panel in my shop where I installed a 100 amp breaker using some more cables and connectors I'll show you later. I also have a 50 foot 100A banded cable with four conductors to go between the Tesla connector and the HPC. That way, the HPC can be inside, out of the weather, and up to 50 feet from the Roadster, and the HPC can be up to 50 feet from the breaker panel.

photo-87.JPG

This is the 3-wire banded cable used to carry the power from the breaker panel to the portable HPC. It can also be used with other accessories to make a giant extension cord for the 40A charger. It wraps up very nicely and quickly into that round heavy-duty sewn bag, which is designed to fit perfectly in the trunk without putting pressure on the lid.

photo-86.JPG

This is a set of bare-end cables that attach to three different styles of the most common breakers used in the US. Using these, I can plug the proper breaker into most any panel and tap off power for the 3-wire banded to feed to the HPC. Again, it's in its own custom-sewn case.

photo-85.JPG

This shows the modified Tesla connector and a special Hubble plug adapter that can turn the 3-wire banded cable into an extension cord (using a special Hubble socket adapter, not shown).

photo-88.JPG

Here's nearly the entire 40A AND 70A kit squeezed into the trunk. I'd probably never bring all of this with me, but if I chose to, I'd still have room for a small bag. It doesn't put any pressure on the deck, so the trunk closes perfectly and is water-tight. It's total weight is under 100lbs!

I've asked the sales staff and experts at Tesla about the boot bag, and they say it can safely be used even if there's 110lbs of stuff in the trunk.

I'll be taking nicer pictures of all of the accessories as we finish the last of the details, and when I have more time. This is just a taste of what can be done... I can arrange for any custom stuff of this sort to be built to spec. It's really well-done by a professional movie gaffer in a machine shop and professional bag sewing shop in his home.

With the system I've been developing with SSRs, you could in theory reduce the size of the HPC to about the size of the UMC. That is IF you watch your form factors. The EVSE control board that Chris designed is really neat and it is -really- small. (check it out in the DIY EVSE thread.)

+1 for thinking in a different direction.:cool: