Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My power consumption went off the chart is morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
This morning while driving to working in heavy snowfall I had on pretty much everything like rear window defrost, front window defrost on high, heated wipers, etc while driving at about 30km/h on the 401. My power
consumption was over 600Wh/km which is off the graph of the Power Consumption screen. Good thing I wasn't going very far!

This morning while driving to working in heavy snowfall I had on pretty much everything like rear window defrost, front window defrost on high, heated wipers, etc while driving at about 30km/h on the 401. My power
consumption was over 600Wh/km which is off the graph of the Power Consumption screen. Good thing I wasn't going very far!
Seems like you didn't preheat. That's normal for the first 10km or so.

I've been getting average power consumptions of over 420 Wh/km in the last week. It comes from a bunch of short trips in the cold, all the winter conveniences on and temps of -20. My projected range is routinely half of the rated range! Yikes.

Yup, those short trips will kill the range. Whenever I do short trips, they average 350 wh/km. But I'm stubborn and don't turn on the heat unless I'm fogging up. Longer trips get me closer to 200.
(OT : After yesterday's snowfall, I'm gonna have to go to a gas station for the snowblower--ugh)

Same here. I did a round trip of 160 km last night in temps ranging from -19 to -15. The drive took me one hour each way with 2 hours cold soaking in between. Half of the drive was 401 and the other half were back roads.

I used 255 km of rated range for the 160 km. No compromises on heating. Cabin at 20. Noticed a cold draft on my passenger side around my neck / shoulder. Wondered if it was cold air falling from the pano roof.

Yup, those short trips will kill the range. Whenever I do short trips, they average 350 wh/km. But I'm stubborn and don't turn on the heat unless I'm fogging up. Longer trips get me closer to 200.
(OT : After yesterday's snowfall, I'm gonna have to go to a gas station for the snowblower--ugh)

I saw a battery-electric snow blower in the lowe's flyer a few months ago. Looks like it could be a suitable replacement for a single stage snowblower.

That's not at all unusual.

I'm in Ottawa, without my car. Driving a VW Golf TDI the fuel consumption shows as over 20 L/100 km initially, falling down to 9 or 8 L/100 km after 30 km or so. This is a car that normally can do 4.6 L / 100 km hwy and 6.7 city.

Winter sucks.

Yeah, the Snow Joe...works well for light powder...not so well on wet snow (but what snowblower does...)...it did get somewhat overwhelmed by the 35 cms we got yesterday...make sure you buy an extra battery in case you're not finished the job when the first one craps out...not as good as a gas snowblower, but way more convenient and is still well worth getting imo...

Cordless Snow Blowers | Lawn Mowers | Trimmers | Tillers | Snow Joe

I saw a battery-electric snow blower in the lowe's flyer a few months ago. Looks like it could be a suitable replacement for a single stage snowblower.

Just to follow up ... last night it was -8, so about 10 degrees warmer than Monday night. I did the same 160km round trip drive and this time around my car used about 210km of rated range instead of 255km like on Monday. Huge difference. That's what temperatures do (and to a small extent, there was more snow on the road so increased rolling resistance in the higher energy example)

I drive my Roadster all year round...great traction control, a good set of snows, and a 1,000 pound battery over the rear wheels...goes very well!...have trouble seeing over some of the snow banks though...:frown:

Are you talking about the Roadster or MS P85D? I would say the Roadster is the ultimate summer car.

The range in the P85D is disappointing but for my daily drive of 50km (both ways) it isn't an issue.

agree wayner, my wife's drive in her P85D is about the same (55 km one way)...no issue here...the (currently) lower winter range is not an issue for most drivers...

How's this for power consumption off the chart. (I really think they should have the graph higher than 600, and does anybody really get -200 regen?)
IMG_0037.JPG