TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My power consumption went off the chart is morning

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wayner, Feb 2, 2015.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

This morning while driving to working in heavy snowfall I had on pretty much everything like rear window defrost, front window defrost on high, heated wipers, etc while driving at about 30km/h on the 401. My power
    consumption was over 600Wh/km which is off the graph of the Power Consumption screen. Good thing I wasn't going very far!

2. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Seems like you didn't preheat. That's normal for the first 10km or so.

3. wayner

wayner Active Member

No, I charged from 4:30-5:30. I got up at 6:15 and started preheating although the car was still 10C. Heating was on for 30 mins before I left.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Combination of cabin heater going full power (defrost on high) and driving slowly.

5. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Tell the truth. You were also doing donuts in the parking lot, channeling your inner Tony Stewart.

6. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I've been getting average power consumptions of over 420 Wh/km in the last week. It comes from a bunch of short trips in the cold, all the winter conveniences on and temps of -20. My projected range is routinely half of the rated range! Yikes.

7. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Yup, those short trips will kill the range. Whenever I do short trips, they average 350 wh/km. But I'm stubborn and don't turn on the heat unless I'm fogging up. Longer trips get me closer to 200.
    (OT : After yesterday's snowfall, I'm gonna have to go to a gas station for the snowblower--ugh)

8. FrozenCanuck

FrozenCanuck Member

Same here. I did a round trip of 160 km last night in temps ranging from -19 to -15. The drive took me one hour each way with 2 hours cold soaking in between. Half of the drive was 401 and the other half were back roads.

I used 255 km of rated range for the 160 km. No compromises on heating. Cabin at 20. Noticed a cold draft on my passenger side around my neck / shoulder. Wondered if it was cold air falling from the pano roof.

9. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I saw a battery-electric snow blower in the lowe's flyer a few months ago. Looks like it could be a suitable replacement for a single stage snowblower.

10. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

That's not at all unusual.

I'm in Ottawa, without my car. Driving a VW Golf TDI the fuel consumption shows as over 20 L/100 km initially, falling down to 9 or 8 L/100 km after 30 km or so. This is a car that normally can do 4.6 L / 100 km hwy and 6.7 city.

Winter sucks.

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Yeah, the Snow Joe...works well for light powder...not so well on wet snow (but what snowblower does...)...it did get somewhat overwhelmed by the 35 cms we got yesterday...make sure you buy an extra battery in case you're not finished the job when the first one craps out...not as good as a gas snowblower, but way more convenient and is still well worth getting imo...

Cordless Snow Blowers | Lawn Mowers | Trimmers | Tillers | Snow Joe

12. FrozenCanuck

FrozenCanuck Member

Just to follow up ... last night it was -8, so about 10 degrees warmer than Monday night. I did the same 160km round trip drive and this time around my car used about 210km of rated range instead of 255km like on Monday. Huge difference. That's what temperatures do (and to a small extent, there was more snow on the road so increased rolling resistance in the higher energy example)

13. wayner

wayner Active Member

But you have an S85 which seems to do WAY better than a P85D in terms of energy consumption.

14. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

where would you like to meet for an even trade?

15. richardfallows

I think for now we have to excepted its a summer car.
    I am now thinking of getting a winter car now and putting my tesla away at least till the weather gets better
    I don't think this weather does it any good lets face it it was designed in California
    and it is the ultimate summer car
    just my opinion

16. wayner

wayner Active Member

Are you talking about the Roadster or MS P85D? I would say the Roadster is the ultimate summer car.

The range in the P85D is disappointing but for my daily drive of 50km (both ways) it isn't an issue.

17. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Ditto. For 95% of my daily driving it's more than fine. Sport mode, full heat, whatever. Range never an issue. Great in the snow / ice.

18. wayner

wayner Active Member

Sport mode??? What's that:wink:

19. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I drive my Roadster all year round...great traction control, a good set of snows, and a 1,000 pound battery over the rear wheels...goes very well!...have trouble seeing over some of the snow banks though...:frown:

agree wayner, my wife's drive in her P85D is about the same (55 km one way)...no issue here...the (currently) lower winter range is not an issue for most drivers...

20. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

How's this for power consumption off the chart. (I really think they should have the graph higher than 600, and does anybody really get -200 regen?)
    IMG_0037.JPG