TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My quick impressions of Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by anticitizen13.7, Jul 25, 2016.

1. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I had a chance to sit inside a Model X in the 7-seat configuration, and here are my seat-of-the-pants impressions:

Front row: Driver's and front passenger seats felt great. When is Model S getting these type of seats? Overhead windshield has interesting cockpit effect.

2nd row: Again, seats definitely felt better than Model S, although the middle seat head room was not good. I'd get the 6-seat setup. Yay for cupholders, but where are the door and seatback pockets for stuff like books and iPads?

3rd row: I felt trapped. The 2nd Row does have the convenient motorized front/back movement to allow ingress and egress, but it is a bit slow. Again, I'd get the 6-seat setup. With the center aisle, the 3rd row might be tolerable as it allows for people to move in/out more easily, and also gives more leg room.

If $ were no object, I would take the Model X 6-seater over the Model S.

That's pretty much it. I've driven the Model S P90D and I know the Model X drives similarly (just a bit taller in visibility for driver), so I felt no need to take a test drive.

• Like x 2
  2. sunilsf

sunilsf Member

They have one on the floor of the Stanford showroom and I stopped by yesterday... it was also a 7 seater. I agree the third row is really haunting... I couldn't imagine sitting there for more than 10 minutes. Removing the middle seat from the second row should help immensely.

It would be great if they made the middle seat similar to a honda odyssey-- have it fold down for arm rest/cupholder and also be removable. The problem gets worse when I configure and to go from a 5 seat to 6 seat configuration is $5.5k.... really? Seems like they should just include the 3rd row with all cars (reduce mfg complexity and hopefully bring the cost down a bit... but, I guess that's an effective price increase if you get rid of the 5 seat option).

Also, not sure why they went with glossy seat backs-- looks great today, but I'm sure a year from now they will be scuffed up.

Overall, the car seemed much nicer than the Model S (it's primarily the front seats) but with less cargo room (with the 3rd seat up).

3. Nototrader

Nototrader Member

It's funny how different kids and adults are. My three kids constantly argue about who will sit in the back of my 7 seater. They fight because all three want to be in the third row. Somehow for kids, there is nothing haunting about it.

4. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Though I had to order a 7-seater so we can run our kid's carpool but I would really like the middle seat in the second row to be foldable and stow away in the floor. The second row is not a bench and so it shouldn't be a problem to modify the design to make it easy to remove any of the seats.

5. tropical1

tropical1 Member

Here are my thoughts
    1. Windshield visibility is great
    2. Agree seats are generally way nicer and more comfortable than S
    3. 6 seat would be ideal, but 7 seat may be needed
    4. Uhfs is much better in X than s
    5. Ample space with 3rd row folded
    6. Slightly less range than anticipated during summer with max ac
    7. Autopilot excellent so far

Overall you won't be disappointed with a purchase of an X as it is an awesome car, but agree getting folding second row,or a removable seat would be good in future.

6. brkaus

brkaus Member

I believe I read here somewhere that the 5 to greater than 5 seat configuration updated the AC as well. So cost isn't simply the seats.

7. MS60

MS60 Member

Correct. The 6 and 7 seat config also adds a 2nd AC unit and duct work to provide 3rd row with vents.