Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My quote for tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xenius

Apr 24, 2015
Havertown, PA
There's a local tint place that I like and have used for a previous and current car. I sent them an email asking about tinting for my future Model S (delivery in August, hopefully). I want to go for the matching black rear window/pano roof look, and then whatever makes sense around the sides and a U/V only tint on the windshield. I asked about Photosync, but they don't have it. This was the response.

I'm sorry we do not carry that type of film at our shop, the crystalline is actually right around the same price as the photosync though. The crystalline only goes as dark as 40% so I would recommend using our Rayno phantom S9 which is a nano carbon ceramic film that is very similar to the crystalline but it goes as dark as 5% and as light as 50%. The Rayno S9 would be a good choice for what you were looking for because it has the heat rejection technology that crystalline has but it has many shades to use to accomplish the look you were going for, for the whole car including the front windshield and it's more affordable than the crystalline. To tint your Tesla in Rayno S9 it would be $375.00 for the sides and back and $175.00 for the front windshield plus tax, which comes to a total of $583.00. Our phone number is 610-544-8468 if you would like to call and ask any questions or are ready to schedule. Thanks again for thinking of Elite Glass Tinting for all of your tinting needs.
Any folks here familiar with tinting think the suggested approach seems good, and is a decent price?

There's a local tint place that I like and have used for a previous and current car. I sent them an email asking about tinting for my future Model S (delivery in August, hopefully). I want to go for the matching black rear window/pano roof look, and then whatever makes sense around the sides and a U/V only tint on the windshield. I asked about Photosync, but they don't have it. This was the response.

I'm sorry we do not carry that type of film at our shop, the crystalline is actually right around the same price as the photosync though. The crystalline only goes as dark as 40% so I would recommend using our Rayno phantom S9 which is a nano carbon ceramic film that is very similar to the crystalline but it goes as dark as 5% and as light as 50%. The Rayno S9 would be a good choice for what you were looking for because it has the heat rejection technology that crystalline has but it has many shades to use to accomplish the look you were going for, for the whole car including the front windshield and it's more affordable than the crystalline. To tint your Tesla in Rayno S9 it would be $375.00 for the sides and back and $175.00 for the front windshield plus tax, which comes to a total of $583.00. Our phone number is 610-544-8468 if you would like to call and ask any questions or are ready to schedule. Thanks again for thinking of Elite Glass Tinting for all of your tinting needs.
Any folks here familiar with tinting think the suggested approach seems good, and is a decent price?
Ohio here. Fully ceramic, 20/35/50 levels, 349 - whole car not including windshield. That sounds just about inline with the quote you received.

Has anyone measured how well these attractively-priced tints actually work?

Work = reduce interior heat
Work bonus points = reduce glare through the windshield

Huge savings in watts per mile with the ceramic; like 65-70%. If it isn't ceramic, don't waste your time.

I don't have the front windshield done, but take a look at dashcam footage on here from people who do. Very big reduction in glare.

Huge savings in watts per mile with the ceramic; like 65-70%. If it isn't ceramic, don't waste your time.

I don't have the front windshield done, but take a look at dashcam footage on here from people who do. Very big reduction in glare.

This is the big reason I'm planing to do the front. Lightest tint possible, but great heat/uv rejection and glare reduction.

Also @supratachophobia would you mind posting pictures of your tint? Want to know if I can just steal your numbers to use. I'm unsure what VLT I want as of yet. I do know I want the back windshield to essentially blend in with the pano roof.
Happy to share, but might have to wait. Just had the back window replaced and the tint isn't on yet. I had 35 all the way around. However, I also have the rear facing seats. 35 was good back there, but I think I might switch to 20 this time around, just for that little extra heat blockage (7%or something).

I feel like I read somewhere that the roof was 18 level tint, but I could be totally wrong on that. The angle of observation matters greatly. Unless you are looking directly at a surface head on, 35 looks super dark. It's the darkest I would attempt on the side windows. But since I drive with the rear sunshade and the rear camera on all the time, I'm not terribly worried about 20 or 35 on the back.

Happy to share, but might have to wait. Just had the back window replaced and the tint isn't on yet. I had 35 all the way around. However, I also have the rear facing seats. 35 was good back there, but I think I might switch to 20 this time around, just for that little extra heat blockage (7%or something).

I feel like I read somewhere that the roof was 18 level tint, but I could be totally wrong on that. The angle of observation matters greatly. Unless you are looking directly at a surface head on, 35 looks super dark. It's the darkest I would attempt on the side windows. But since I drive with the rear sunshade and the rear camera on all the time, I'm not terribly worried about 20 or 35 on the back.

Cool thanks for the response. Wouldn't mind waiting. Keep this thread in mind if you don't mind, would love to see as I try to figure out what tints to go with assuming I take this quote.

I'm curious about tinting as well. I know it's illegal in NJ but if there are any NJ owners that have done tinting, please let meknow

For the absolute best tinting for your Tesla, Google The Art of Tint. Tom is a perfectionist and is just around the corner from the Tesla Red Hook service center. He did my car complete with pano roof and windshield. Not cheap, Great quality work worth a litle more in price.
I make it a habbit of not recommending anyone, Tom is the exception!!

Just had my MS 90D refresh tinted a few days ago -- took delivery of the vehicle a month ago. I'm in SoCal, so there are a lot of folks who tint Telsas and other high end cars. I did a lot of research and spoke to lots of Tesla owners and installers.

Here are a few tips based upon my research and experience:
  • Find someone who does a few Teslas a week - Most people will say they can tint a Tesla, but how many have the actually done? Those who specialize will likely know how to remove the window edging without any tools. This allows for a better result. Also make sure they know how to have the windows fully closed, even when the doors are open (they have to trick the doors to think the car is closed when being tinted).The process is different for MS vs MX.
  • Look for tinters who hand cut and don't use templates - this is a preference of mine. I'd rather have someone who hand cuts the tint, rather than relying on a template from a computer. This makes a big difference when making sure that the tint looks seamless with the window edging. When using precut film, the edging doesn't look as natural and there are often gaps, even though they may be minor. Tinters who know how to hand cut and have experience with exotic cars tend to be more creative and meticulous. Ask the tinter if they use a razor to trim the edging (and curves). Also ask if they use a fine grade file to integrate the edge of the film with the actual window edge to make it look seamless.
  • Make sure your tinter has samples and offers a warranty - be wary of a tinter who only carries one brand. Make sure you have them walk you through all the various options (ceramic, carbon, nano, etc.) and brands. They should also certified by the manufacturer and offer a lifetime warranty, including labor. You may pay extra for it, but in the end, it will probably be worth it.
  • Check the samples indoors and outdoors - I was on the fence about the type of film, level of heat rejection and darkness. My tinter cut samples of every type I was interested in and used tape to place them on my car, so I could see them indoors and outdoors. The tint will look very different in various settings and as well will different interiors, so make sure you don't rely on pictures for your decision.
  • Pricing - if you look hard enough, you'll definitely find options under $200 for a Model S (which should include front sides, back sides and rear, excluding pano and windshield). Depending on the film and installer, prices could be as high as $500. The highest rated tinter, that met all of the criteria above will obviously cost more. Here is what I was quoted by my tinter, who does a few Teslas a week and meets all the criteria. Prices to tint a Tesla Model S are as follows:
    • $250 Suntek - Carbon (lifetime durability with 32% heat rejection)
    • $350 Suntek - CarbonXP (lifetime durability with 48% heat rejection)
    • $480 Xpel - Nano-ceramic (lifetime durability with 54% heat rejection)
When I started the process of researching, I was set on going with the Xpel, but after seeing a few cars and trying out the samples, I went with the Suntek Carbon XP, with 35% on the sides and back. I left the front windshield as is, as well as the pano roof. If you'd like more information and see pictures of the before and after (with the chrome window edging also removed), you can see it on my post here: I have a good recommendation for OC/LA County tinting and wraps

i am awaiting my new S and planning on having the windows tinted. May I ask where you had the work done.

Automotive appearance pros. They used to be on indianola but moved to Worthington.

Fun fact, I called "the tint dude" because I had the back window replaced and needed the new one tinted. I just wanted to see what it would cost since with AAP, you need an appointment and sometimes I'm super busy. Price went up 50 bucks as soon the word Tesla was brought up.

So I'll be having AAP taking care of it this week. They do give a slight discount to Tesla owners. There is a prior relationship with employees on both sides so not only are they familiar with the car, their work can be unofficially vouched for. Also, they do a great job so a group of us made it our go-to for Tesla clear bra, audio, and tint.

Automotive appearance pros. They used to be on indianola but moved to Worthington.

Fun fact, I called "the tint dude" because I had the back window replaced and needed the new one tinted. I just wanted to see what it would cost since with AAP, you need an appointment and sometimes I'm super busy. Price went up 50 bucks as soon the word Tesla was brought up.

So I'll be having AAP taking care of it this week. They do give a slight discount to Tesla owners. There is a prior relationship with employees on both sides so not only are they familiar with the car, their work can be unofficially vouched for. Also, they do a great job so a group of us made it our go-to for Tesla clear bra, audio, and tint.
Thanks, I have use them before. Did a good job.