Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My range increased!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My range increased from 335 miles to 370 miles! It’s great but I don’t know how or why! About a week ago I noticed as I was charging at home, it allowed me to charge up to 369 miles! Ever since I’m able to charge to this higher amount like it a permanent increase in range. The Tesla tech people I’ve asked through the Tesla app doesn’t know either lol. Does anyone know??

Your range is estimated based on your driving habits. If you spent an hour going downhill before parking, the car will think you will continue going downhill when you restart driving and will tell you that you have more range.

The range number has little to do with the battery capacity and more with efficiency over the last x minutes

I believe the statement that the range is based upon driving habits is is false. Tesla specifically states that it is based upon a fixed energy constant in the material that they have published in their support materials.

REF: Range Tips

Section under What is Range? at the beginning of the second paragraph is clearly states:

Displayed range in your Tesla is adapted based on fixed EPA test data, not your personal driving patterns.

If you have a specific reference document to supports your view that it is based upon recent driving history, I'd be interested in seeing it. I've done my own correlations over a wide range of energy consumption ranging from a low of 250 kWh/mi to over 400 kWh/mi as averaged over 100-200 miles and have seen absolutely no influence on the displayed rated range.

I believe the statement that the range is based upon driving habits is is false. Tesla specifically states that it is based upon a fixed energy constant in the material that they have published in their support materials.

REF: Range Tips

Section under What is Range? at the beginning of the second paragraph is clearly states:

Displayed range in your Tesla is adapted based on fixed EPA test data, not your personal driving patterns.

If you have a specific reference document to supports your view that it is based upon recent driving history, I'd be interested in seeing it. I've done my own correlations over a wide range of energy consumption ranging from a low of 250 kWh/mi to over 400 kWh/mi as averaged over 100-200 miles and have seen absolutely no influence on the displayed rated range.
It changed a few years ago when they added the 2 different range displays

Rated Range (Functional Improvement)
Your Model S provides two Range estimates to help drivers determine driving distance. These range estimates are called Projected Range and Rated Range. The Projected Range estimate predicts the car’s range based on the driver’s current driving state. In other words, Projected Range predicts how far the car can travel if the driver were to continue driving in their current style. This number is calculated by looking at energy use over the last 30 miles and assumes consistent energy use until the battery is depleted.

And then in 2021.32.5 made the Projected Range the default display:

That PDF is extremely old, software version 1.19, it no longer applies.

It looks like it was removed back in version 4.0, people in January 2013 talking about it's removal.

The more recent patch note is just what they say when they adjust the wh/mile constant or energy buffer on a specific car configuration.

Tesla doesn't use driving habits to calculate range display except in the energy app.

As @BPeter already stated, that first .pdf is about 10 years old. It references setting the range units to be Projected, which is not even an option (and hasn't been ever since I purchased my MD90D in 2016.

The only use of the term Projected Range today is in the Energy Graph on the main display, where you have an option for it to show on the right side of the graph either projected or instantaneous range.

RE question by @EVRider-FL about whether OP inadvertently switched to Ideal units. I had considered that originally but the data I see when I pull directly via the API to get both Rated and Ideal at the same instant shows that the Ideal is 25% greater than Rated. Now it is possible that this ratio is different for newer Raven or Plaid versions which have different motor setup than my mid-2016 MS90D but I've never come across any cases where someone has provided that data to tell me if it might be a substantially different relationship like the 10% difference noted by the OP.

Reactions: MP3Mike and ucmndd
I linked release notes (from tesla.com) and articles that clearly indicate this was the case, even if it may not be anymore. Unless you’re implying Tesla lied and wrote those paragraphs for no reason?
The first note you linked, as others have pointed out, is ancient. “Projected” range has not been a selectable setting in any Tesla for at least 8 years. The “projected” range option is not present or described in any copy of the owners manual from any year that I can find. I suspect this feature was moved into the energy app as others have suggested - the only place where recent driving affects estimates - very early on.

Your interpretation of the release notes for 2021.32.105 is speculative and incorrect - there is nothing there that suggests a relationship between the two things you are describing.

Last edited:
Your range is estimated based on your driving habits. If you spent an hour going downhill before parking, the car will think you will continue going downhill when you restart driving and will tell you that you have more range.

The range number has little to do with the battery capacity and more with efficiency over the last x minutes
This is not the range displayed on the battery. What you are describing is the range that displays when navigating to a destination. That is based on recent energy consumption.

Regardless of the calculations the car makes, is it not the case that the figures will change if the system is re-set by doing the full to nearly empty on the battery?
It changes anytime the BMS system changes its estimate of how much energy the pack can hold when it's full, regardless of the series of events that occurred in order for it to change its estimate.

Tesla could avoid soooo much confusion about this if they'd just show a few numbers. In particular, the BMS's estimate of how much energy the pack can hold when its full. They do have that number, they just choose not to share it.

It changes anytime the BMS system changes its estimate of how much energy the pack can hold when it's full, regardless of the series of events that occurred in order for it to change its estimate.

Tesla could avoid soooo much confusion about this if they'd just show a few numbers. In particular, the BMS's estimate of how much energy the pack can hold when its full. They do have that number, they just choose not to share it.
I'm new here but my range went up as well. I've had the car for a few years and this has never happen. I don't think it's a driving habit issue. Anyway, I like it!

Tesla choosing to display the estimate for how much energy the pack can hold would not avoid confusion. It would just change all the threads like to start off with "why did my battery pack capacity change by ___" instead of "why did my displayed range change by ____ ". Estimated pack capacity and estimated range at 100% are the same number just displayed in different units, no different than converting from miles to kilometers.

• Disagree
Reactions: kg7jo-