Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

my RC Model 3 hits the road!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The whole having to wait for my Model 3 thing finally got to me about six months ago (plus I got board one day) so I started building my own, albeit in 1/10th scale form! It took about 5 months of afternoons and occasional weekends to produce the mold to make the body with. After that It took a fair amount of trashing Lexan sheets to learn how to vacuum form a presentable body, only to go beat said body to death on the race track in short order. LOL. Good thing I'm better at driving real cars than I am at driving radio controlled cars otherwise we'd all be in trouble! A few days ago I produced another body, painted it and took some pics to share including some with a real Model S on display at the Walnut Creek Gallery (huge shout out to your awesome staff there BTW they really are a first rate crew!) Anyway enough of me yapping here's the pics!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Thanks for the complements! Yes I think we can call this a model 3 sighting but since this also confirms that a metal roof might possibly be an option I think it's worthy of a 90k+ post thread and no less than 5 news stories about nothing. With the right controller you can have TWO screens and smart phone compatibility with telemetry if that's your thing....that should be worthy of a site crashing thread and a few dozen news stories LOL! Last but not least I compressed a few more pics including some of the "skateboard" and a few taken at the Walnut Creek gallery over the weekend. Enjoy!

An autopilot on an RC car that small, all I can say is WOW!!! Bet you anything that guy is working for Tesla now! As far as the battery goes it's an old 3,300mah NiMh that's on its last legs so I'd go with the car being a P24D (23.74 watts) but I'm probably going to hit up RC Country Hobbies in the near future for a few new LiPo's. Come to think of it here's one to wrap your head around: Back in 1995 (give or take) the best RC car battery you could get was a 6 cell, 7.2 volt, 1.5Ah (10.8 watts) NiCad that cost $17.95 according to the sticker that's still on the battery I somehow still have. Today at about the same size and weight you can get a 2 cell, 7.4 volt, 8Ah (59.2 watts) LiPo with an MSRP of $199.99, and I think there are higher capacity batteries on the market than that. Ignoring the price tags that's a bit less than a 600% increase in battery energy density in about 22 years! At that rate it won't be long befor electric power really does make gas obsolete in every way.

Pinot.noir, that's a really cool idea, might have to do that but first I have other plans that I think most everyone will find exciting.

deonb, I have been trying to get Tesla to show me the new trunk opening so I could draw in accurate panel lines but strangely they have been very tight lipped about that....wonder why?

Wallet.dat, you're not having fun until you brake something lol! In all seriousness though on road RC cars are extremely durable, I have literally crashed mine 1,000s of times and only ever damaged the body. RC car body's have two jobs: 1) aerodynamics which this one excels at and 2) crash impact absorber which this one also does better than most other body's.

Reactions: Red Sage