Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My rear screen experience - Tlyard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
Preface

If you're not a fan of rear screens or just prefer to mount an iPad or other tablet in the back, I encourage you not to read on any further and save a few minutes of your time. Both are viable solutions and probably fit your preferences better than a specific built rear screen. The remainder of my comments are for those that are interested in a 3/Y specific screen.

Intro

Since the introduction of the refreshed S and X where they include a rear screen, it didn’t take long before the aftermarket c designed and built rear screens for the 3 and Y. The first one was an 8” screen, then came a very small 4.3” screen with limited functions, and then a 7” screen. This is the one I bought and since then there has been a couple of newer screens. This was back in around February 2023 when I bought mine and since then a 7.2” screen and a 7.5” were introduced which were design copies of the OEM S/X screen. The 7.5” came out very quickly after the 7.2” likely due to the small HVAC opening for the 7.2”.

The 8”screen had some great functionality but the drawback for me was that it was mounted in a way that protruded out of the rear of the center console and just seemed like it would get in the way. Some people didn’t mind it but for me it was too obtrusive. Then came the small 4.3” screen which was very clean in design and physically could be mistaken for something that came from the factory. However, functionality was limited to some controls of car functions like HVAC, audio track and volume, etc. The stand out feature was that it could control movement of the passenger seat which is great for certain situations. I bought this one from Hansshow even though it didn’t have any app access as it was a super clean design. My unit didn’t last 2 months and I could not get warranty from Hansshow since the required me to ship it back to China and multiple shipping quotes for the address they gave me exceeded the cost of repurchasing another unit. No point paying more for shipping to get a refund that doesn’t even cover shipping. I realized their warranty was meaningless and even though I told them the situation, they didn’t budge and said no return, no refund. I am not surprised at all the complaints on TMC about their poor service and frustrated customers.

At this point I was ready to put the original vent back in and toss out the Hansshow one. Then I saw the 7” screen. For me this had a great design and fits so nicely into the car aesthetics so I went on to do some research on resellers. The common thing about all of these screens is that they are sold by multiple resellers but come out of the same factory so in my mind I need to find a company that would provide a good balance of price vs service.ie, not Hansshow.

I found a relatively unknown reseller name Tlyard and after looking at their return policy (freight covered if item has a quality issue) and finding an online coupon code it seemed like it was time to give a company I’ve never heard of a try. Again, this was around Chinese New Years. The order went smoothly and initial communication was good. They promptly advised me that due to Chinese New Year there were some delays and they also did not have the 7” screen in stock but was expecting it soon. They offered me to either wait for restock or they would send me the 8” version (which costs more normally) immediately. I opted to wait as I don’t like the physical format of the 8” screen.

As soon as stock was replenished, they sent out the item and it didn’t take too long to get it. Unfortunately, there was a mix-up and even though I chose the 2017 – 2019.02 version, they sent me the cable for the newer cars. I emailed them about the mix-up, included a picture of what they sent me and hoped they wouldn’t give me the run-around like some of the other resellers. This was the first test of service. They responded very quickly with a simple message that they’d send me a new cable. This was the service I hoped for but was ready to expect less based on other resellers I’ve dealt with. So far. Tylard has been very good and responsive.

The correct cable took a while to arrive but not because of Tylard – it was held up by my local postal service.

Installation

Installation is super-simple. If you do it once, future installs would take 5 minutes maximum. Popping off the original vent assembly requires no tools and then it’s a simple matter of disconnecting the original plug for the USB connector. It is a good idea to go to the car’s menu to power it down as well even though I don’t think it’s critical. Better safe than sorry. The next part is to remove the bottom cover off which will need either a plastic pry tool (included) or I prefer to use a small L-Shaped hex key gripped by vice grips. I stick the small end of the hex key under the bottom corner of the panel, turn it 90 degrees to get leverage and pull. This is the easiest way to pull that panel off. Note that there is a panel in between as well that many YouTubers remove. You do not need to remove this. Next you disconnect the big data cable under that lower panel and daisy chain the supplied cable. It is not difficult to fish the cable up through that center panel up to where the new screen mounts. Now you should have the new cable run up plus the USB cable you previously disconnected. It should be obvious which connector attaches to the screen and make sure they are seated well. Neatly tuck excess wiring away and push on the screen with tabs aligned and it will lock into place. That’s it – super easy. Now, if you want the seat adjustment functionality, it's not difficult but does require some time and you need to be careful in running that wire harness so that when you move the seat all the way in each direction, it doesn't catch or stretch anywhere.

The Screen’s functionality

Depending on your situation, it may be nice to have your rear passenger be able to control heated rear seats, fan speed, temperature, rear fan, audio controls, etc. Also depending on needs it may be nice to have the ability to run a browser, play YouTube, add streaming services, download games, etc. As the device is based on Android 12 it is fairly modern. The current version of this 7” screen that is shipping now also has the ability to move the passenger seat back and forth. This could be convenient for a parent sitting in the back with a young child and makes it easy to adjust that seat in front of them for more rear space. You could always choose not to wire in this option. Some other 7” screens I see out there do not have this option so if this is important watch out for it before you order.

The screen does have some downsides as well. It has a slight, but noticeable, delay in audio that is streamed vie Bluetooth to the car’s sound system. It doesn’t let you install some apps from the Google play store like Netflix and Disney+ but those are easy to sideload. I am curious about the latest 7.5” screen which I believe have addressed some of the issues of the audio and they redesigned the HVAC vent which now incorporates replacement of the panel below as well. The new 7.5” implementation of HVAC looks a bit odd in picture to me but will have to see it in person.

My experience with Tlyard

My experience started off quite positively with them being responsive to the incorrect cable shipped and to the lateness of the initial product shipment. Since then I did run into another concern and which they again promptly provided a solution. This 2nd “concern” was really a true test of customer service. Like every other reseller, they first started with the version of the 7” screen without the front passenger seat control and that’s the one I received. They released the 2nd version of the screen with the seat control right after I received mine so I contacted them to see if I could upgrade it. Don’t’ ask, don’t get 😊. I didn’t think I’d get a response but respond they did and I got mine upgraded. I’m very doubtful any other reseller would have done that. That’s 2 for 2 and I was very impressed and definitely would buy from them again.

My recommendation

This is based on my personal direct experience and want to emphasize that I paid exactly what anyone else pays. I did get a discount but the discount was what I found online. I have purchased items from AliExpress, Hansshow, and Tlyard. Ali is great if you want absolutely rock bottom prices and expect that there will be little to no post-sales service. However, AliExpress itself does have an independent dispute resolution process which usually comes through. Hansshow, I would not recommend at all. You pay more than Ali and although they are willing to give you verbal guidance on some technical issues they will not make it easy if the issue needs a solution that has an economic impact for them such as a refund or sending replacement parts. For this reason, I’d place Hansshow as the last alternative for buying accessories. I also have first hand experience that Hansshow will not post negative reviews on their website so any rating you see from them have been filtered. I posted a review of the poorly built 4.3” screen I bought from them and they wouldn’t publish my factual 1-star review. This is a bit shady in my opinion if all they do is post positive reviews. Seems every screen they sell has a 5-star rating which is a big tell-tale.

If you are looking for a rear screen, I’d recommend the 7” or the 7.5” for some of the reasons mentioned above.

Based solely on my own experience I’d recommend Tlyard. They were responsive to 2 issues I had, have competitive prices, had a North American location for returns (at least in my case), 2-year warranty, and cover shipping on returns within 30-days for items with quality problems. This is better than most I’ve seen.
screenshot-www.tesla.com-2023.05.20-15_19_33.png

I'd recommend simply any off-the-shelf android tablet with either strap
to the back of the front seat or mount with a suction cup to ceiling.
This way each passenger can choose their own entertainment.

I think the middle screen is nice for the second row passengers for providing the ability of adjusting seat and air flow temperature.
However, not be able to use the Tesla Internet from the front display and the need to use a separate hotspot is a major draw back.

Also you can only connect one Bluetooth headset which needs to be share with each passenger.
I don't remember from previous comments if you can connect any game controllers.

But for me the major issue would be that the screen is located too low for comfortable usage.
And honestly, may be the two rear passengers might not be interested watching the same content.

I agree that it would be nicer for the rear passengers to have their own tablet display and their own head set.

Infact, I recently noticed this Japanese conpany called Modufy developping under a Kickstarter crowdfunding

- a Dashboard Display Phone holder (See video at 0:41) and

Dashboard Display Phone holder 1.jpg Dashboard Display Phone holder 2.jpg Dashboard Display Phone holder 3.jpg Dashboard Display Phone holder 4.jpg

- a Back of Front Seat Phone holder, (See video at 5:11)

Back of Front Seat Mount and Charger 04 .jpg Back of Front Seat Mount and Charger 02.jpg Back of Front Seat Mount and Charger 01 .jpg Back of Front Seat Mount and Charger 03.jpg

both providing MagSafe and Qi-certified charging capability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Massive Attack
Lots of options available out there and that's the great thing about owning a Tesla - the aftermarket options are endless. I like built-in screens for the seamless OEM look. Some of the non-built-in options could be flying around in the car in an accident or need to be stowed whenever parking as they are more attractive to thieves.

Preface

If you're not a fan of rear screens or just prefer to mount an iPad or other tablet in the back, I encourage you not to read on any further and save a few minutes of your time. Both are viable solutions and probably fit your preferences better than a specific built rear screen. The remainder of my comments are for those that are interested in a 3/Y specific screen.

Intro

Since the introduction of the refreshed S and X where they include a rear screen, it didn’t take long before the aftermarket c designed and built rear screens for the 3 and Y. The first one was an 8” screen, then came a very small 4.3” screen with limited functions, and then a 7” screen. This is the one I bought and since then there has been a couple of newer screens. This was back in around February 2023 when I bought mine and since then a 7.2” screen and a 7.5” were introduced which were design copies of the OEM S/X screen. The 7.5” came out very quickly after the 7.2” likely due to the small HVAC opening for the 7.2”.

The 8”screen had some great functionality but the drawback for me was that it was mounted in a way that protruded out of the rear of the center console and just seemed like it would get in the way. Some people didn’t mind it but for me it was too obtrusive. Then came the small 4.3” screen which was very clean in design and physically could be mistaken for something that came from the factory. However, functionality was limited to some controls of car functions like HVAC, audio track and volume, etc. The stand out feature was that it could control movement of the passenger seat which is great for certain situations. I bought this one from Hansshow even though it didn’t have any app access as it was a super clean design. My unit didn’t last 2 months and I could not get warranty from Hansshow since the required me to ship it back to China and multiple shipping quotes for the address they gave me exceeded the cost of repurchasing another unit. No point paying more for shipping to get a refund that doesn’t even cover shipping. I realized their warranty was meaningless and even though I told them the situation, they didn’t budge and said no return, no refund. I am not surprised at all the complaints on TMC about their poor service and frustrated customers.

At this point I was ready to put the original vent back in and toss out the Hansshow one. Then I saw the 7” screen. For me this had a great design and fits so nicely into the car aesthetics so I went on to do some research on resellers. The common thing about all of these screens is that they are sold by multiple resellers but come out of the same factory so in my mind I need to find a company that would provide a good balance of price vs service.ie, not Hansshow.

I found a relatively unknown reseller name Tlyard and after looking at their return policy (freight covered if item has a quality issue) and finding an online coupon code it seemed like it was time to give a company I’ve never heard of a try. Again, this was around Chinese New Years. The order went smoothly and initial communication was good. They promptly advised me that due to Chinese New Year there were some delays and they also did not have the 7” screen in stock but was expecting it soon. They offered me to either wait for restock or they would send me the 8” version (which costs more normally) immediately. I opted to wait as I don’t like the physical format of the 8” screen.

As soon as stock was replenished, they sent out the item and it didn’t take too long to get it. Unfortunately, there was a mix-up and even though I chose the 2017 – 2019.02 version, they sent me the cable for the newer cars. I emailed them about the mix-up, included a picture of what they sent me and hoped they wouldn’t give me the run-around like some of the other resellers. This was the first test of service. They responded very quickly with a simple message that they’d send me a new cable. This was the service I hoped for but was ready to expect less based on other resellers I’ve dealt with. So far. Tylard has been very good and responsive.

The correct cable took a while to arrive but not because of Tylard – it was held up by my local postal service.

Installation

Installation is super-simple. If you do it once, future installs would take 5 minutes maximum. Popping off the original vent assembly requires no tools and then it’s a simple matter of disconnecting the original plug for the USB connector. It is a good idea to go to the car’s menu to power it down as well even though I don’t think it’s critical. Better safe than sorry. The next part is to remove the bottom cover off which will need either a plastic pry tool (included) or I prefer to use a small L-Shaped hex key gripped by vice grips. I stick the small end of the hex key under the bottom corner of the panel, turn it 90 degrees to get leverage and pull. This is the easiest way to pull that panel off. Note that there is a panel in between as well that many YouTubers remove. You do not need to remove this. Next you disconnect the big data cable under that lower panel and daisy chain the supplied cable. It is not difficult to fish the cable up through that center panel up to where the new screen mounts. Now you should have the new cable run up plus the USB cable you previously disconnected. It should be obvious which connector attaches to the screen and make sure they are seated well. Neatly tuck excess wiring away and push on the screen with tabs aligned and it will lock into place. That’s it – super easy. Now, if you want the seat adjustment functionality, it's not difficult but does require some time and you need to be careful in running that wire harness so that when you move the seat all the way in each direction, it doesn't catch or stretch anywhere.

The Screen’s functionality

Depending on your situation, it may be nice to have your rear passenger be able to control heated rear seats, fan speed, temperature, rear fan, audio controls, etc. Also depending on needs it may be nice to have the ability to run a browser, play YouTube, add streaming services, download games, etc. As the device is based on Android 12 it is fairly modern. The current version of this 7” screen that is shipping now also has the ability to move the passenger seat back and forth. This could be convenient for a parent sitting in the back with a young child and makes it easy to adjust that seat in front of them for more rear space. You could always choose not to wire in this option. Some other 7” screens I see out there do not have this option so if this is important watch out for it before you order.

The screen does have some downsides as well. It has a slight, but noticeable, delay in audio that is streamed vie Bluetooth to the car’s sound system. It doesn’t let you install some apps from the Google play store like Netflix and Disney+ but those are easy to sideload. I am curious about the latest 7.5” screen which I believe have addressed some of the issues of the audio and they redesigned the HVAC vent which now incorporates replacement of the panel below as well. The new 7.5” implementation of HVAC looks a bit odd in picture to me but will have to see it in person.

My experience with Tlyard

My experience started off quite positively with them being responsive to the incorrect cable shipped and to the lateness of the initial product shipment. Since then I did run into another concern and which they again promptly provided a solution. This 2nd “concern” was really a true test of customer service. Like every other reseller, they first started with the version of the 7” screen without the front passenger seat control and that’s the one I received. They released the 2nd version of the screen with the seat control right after I received mine so I contacted them to see if I could upgrade it. Don’t’ ask, don’t get 😊. I didn’t think I’d get a response but respond they did and I got mine upgraded. I’m very doubtful any other reseller would have done that. That’s 2 for 2 and I was very impressed and definitely would buy from them again.

My recommendation

This is based on my personal direct experience and want to emphasize that I paid exactly what anyone else pays. I did get a discount but the discount was what I found online. I have purchased items from AliExpress, Hansshow, and Tlyard. Ali is great if you want absolutely rock bottom prices and expect that there will be little to no post-sales service. However, AliExpress itself does have an independent dispute resolution process which usually comes through. Hansshow, I would not recommend at all. You pay more than Ali and although they are willing to give you verbal guidance on some technical issues they will not make it easy if the issue needs a solution that has an economic impact for them such as a refund or sending replacement parts. For this reason, I’d place Hansshow as the last alternative for buying accessories. I also have first hand experience that Hansshow will not post negative reviews on their website so any rating you see from them have been filtered. I posted a review of the poorly built 4.3” screen I bought from them and they wouldn’t publish my factual 1-star review. This is a bit shady in my opinion if all they do is post positive reviews. Seems every screen they sell has a 5-star rating which is a big tell-tale.

If you are looking for a rear screen, I’d recommend the 7” or the 7.5” for some of the reasons mentioned above.

Based solely on my own experience I’d recommend Tlyard. They were responsive to 2 issues I had, have competitive prices, had a North American location for returns (at least in my case), 2-year warranty, and cover shipping on returns within 30-days for items with quality problems. This is better than most I’ve seen.View attachment 939607
Pictures would be nice.