Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My reasons behind choosing a M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had a lot of cars over my “career” and I can honestly say that the Tesla’s system is, by far, the best stock system I’ve had. I’m talking comparison with BMW’s Harmon Kardon and Audi’s Bose in particular.
Maybe I got lucky. My last two cars had really good sound systems, I admit also really expensive options too. Don't get me wrong I like the Tesla sound system. Just didn't think of it as exceptional.

Dealer experience ... a big deal for me. I had cars from most of the German manufacturers. Every time I had to go for a service, repair, etc I felt looked down upon. Just because my car is an A4 and not an A8? Just because I haven't already bought 7 BMWs from that one salesperson? I also considered the GLC and went to the dealership to discuss, wasn't even greated with a "hello", just "have you got an appointment?". In my opinion they are all snobby, I don't need that. If I can have a remote fix, or a drop off / pick up situation ... let's have it.

I will get the M3 in Mid March. If it isn't a total wreck, I am happy. I am certainly looking forward to it. For me, the benefits of low tax, power and sound (music, internally) outweigh everything else.

I have found that most stealerships are snobby and the way I was treated a year ago at Birmingham a dose of fresh air.
The amount of money I spent just on servicing my BM M3 was astonishing and worse when a "bad connection" stopped the SMG gearbox from selecting.
Despite many requests when picking the car up, I never found out where the fault lay and even after passing a very large bag of silver over, was sent on my way and a mile down the road a piece of plastic ducting fell off to be driven over!
A small indy was used afterwards who always kept the parts replaced.

So happy now that my one year old car has yet to see the inside of any dealer "just to keep the warranty". Thank you Elon.

Reactions: Doudeau
Definitely the above - high levels of noise from outside, both road and wind noise, mess up the sound a lot. The Model 3 really is pretty noisy inside.
This initial com[parison by a Polestar owner includes his preference for Harman Kardon over Tesla Premium sound in the Long Range.

I don't believe it's bias when he comments several times on the higher levels of external noise in the Model 3, if we are all being honest, it's a definite failing (just road noise in mine, no issues with wind even when driving fast).

I get a fair bit of wind noise at anything over about 50mph. The SC have tried adjusting the glass, but have said that it's as good as they can get it.

I suspect it's the frequency range of the noise that messes with the sound system more than anything else. The noise frequency range in the Tesla seems to be right around the main frequencies of speech and music. Be interesting to see a frequency domain plot of the background noise, to see if this is the case.

I suspect it's the frequency range of the noise that messes with the sound system more than anything else. The noise frequency range in the Tesla seems to be right around the main frequencies of speech and music. Be interesting to see a frequency domain plot of the background noise, to see if this is the case.

This would seem to be borne out by comparative smartphone dB meter tests which suggest that the absolute peak of the M3 and P2 is very similar, but says nothing about whether those peaks are in the 'presence' region or not.

Totally agree, sounds so logic too. A closed cell, already filled with lots of speakers ... makes sense
Active is all well and good but there's plenty they can do to keep the noise down before reverting to technology. Just better insulation, panel fit, suspension isolation etc which all have other positive properties than just noise deadening. There are plenty of suggestions for extra sealing strips and lining the doors with some acoustic matting, people have also suggested the boot area is a great place to add some sound deadening material to improve things.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Active is all well and good but there's plenty they can do to keep the noise down before reverting to technology. Just better insulation, panel fit, suspension isolation etc which all have other positive properties than just noise deadening. There are plenty of suggestions for extra sealing strips and lining the doors with some acoustic matting, people have also suggested the boot area is a great place to add some sound deadening material to improve things.

It will be interesting to see if the MIC cars fare any better, given the prospect of 'within tolerance' being at a more acceptable level.

I added some closed loop foam off Amazon under my Boot Liner and I think it's made a real difference.

Despite the earlier observations would you say the acoustic foam has made a difference or not?
In the sense of tightening bass in the subwoofer region, yes. However, as the driving position is adjacent to one front arch and close to the other, it's these that have the most negative impact at higher speeds.

Having said this, as I'm retired & most journeys over the past year have been local, speed has been low & therefore intrusion from road noise has not spoiled enjoyment of the sound system too often.

I get the feeling I have been lucky with the soundproofing in my car. Apart from an intermittent dashboard rattle I don't find it too bad. I'm always comparing it to my last car on here I know but compared to that it's actually OK. Given one was a luxury huge Mercedes estate and this is a small performance saloon the difference between the two isn't as bad. I would expect a car like mine to have a bit of noise intrusion.