Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Red Model 3 performance front bumper got scratched. Where and how this scratch can be fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I accidentally scratched the front bumper of my new Tesla M3 Performance red color while parking in the garage.
I just bought it a week ago (delivered to the tesla service center in Dallas, Texas)and this unfortunately happened.

How can I get this fixed, how much might it cost? can it be restored back?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4776.jpeg
    IMG_4776.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_4774.jpeg
    IMG_4774.jpeg
    434.1 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4773.jpeg
    IMG_4773.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 283
Yeah, i will definitely ask around. Does this can be fixed at Tesla service center?
The service centers can replace the entire front bumper cover. They did it for me here in San Diego on my 2018 Model 3. It was about $1100 for the part and the labor to uninstall and reinstall the new one. They order it in already painted and swapped it out in one day at the service center. I chose to go that route to avoid the whole auto body / paint shop thing (which has not always been a great experience for me)....You might take a Carfax hit if a body shop repaired it, but I don't think you would if the Service Center does the bumper cover swap...

Reactions: TBrownTX
The service centers can replace the entire front bumper cover. They did it for me here in San Diego on my 2018 Model 3. It was about $1100 for the part and the labor to uninstall and reinstall the new one. They order it in already painted and swapped it out in one day at the service center. I chose to go that route to avoid the whole auto body / paint shop thing (which has not always been a great experience for me)....You might take a Carfax hit if a body shop repaired it, but I don't think you would if the Service Center does the bumper cover swa

The service centers can replace the entire front bumper cover. They did it for me here in San Diego on my 2018 Model 3. It was about $1100 for the part and the labor to uninstall and reinstall the new one. They order it in already painted and swapped it out in one day at the service center. I chose to go that route to avoid the whole auto body / paint shop thing (which has not always been a great experience for me)....You might take a Carfax hit if a body shop repaired it, but I don't think you would if the Service Center does the bumper cover swap...
your response is definitely helpful.
Do you think getting the bumper resprayed is worth it? any idea how much it cost?

You can see the body shops on this website that are "Tesla approved" in the Dallas area:

Usually this is important because a shop needs this affiliation to order spare parts. Your repair may just be a refinishing / paint repair with no parts needed (I'm not sure). Tesla has a shop listed, so I would start there and see what they would estimate a repair to be for your car and then weigh it against an outright bumper cover replacement as I mentioned above...I chose to pay for my bumper replacement myself rather than go through insurance as I have a $500 deductible and didn't want a "hit" on my record for that small of a repair, but that's a decision you'll have to make as well (insurance vs. no insurance)...

Dallas Body Shops.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: sumanth
You can see the body shops on this website that are "Tesla approved" in the Dallas area:

Usually this is important because a shop needs this affiliation to order spare parts. Your repair may just be a refinishing / paint repair with no parts needed (I'm not sure). Tesla has a shop listed, so I would start there and see what they would estimate a repair to be for your car and then weigh it against an outright bumper cover replacement as I mentioned above...I chose to pay for my bumper replacement myself rather than go through insurance as I have a $500 deductible and didn't want a "hit" on my record for that small of a repair, but that's a decision you'll have to make as well (insurance vs. no insurance)...

View attachment 883977
Thanks. It’s helpful indeed!

I would inquire at a non-Tesla authorized body shop that has really good reviews and is known for fixing cars such as Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari Rolls Royce, etc. Why? You will get really good work, you won't get anything on your CarFax (ask to make sure), and it will be cheaper than an authorized body shop.

I would also inquire to Tesla about a full front bumper replacement and compare the costs, see which one is more worth it to you.

I second @santua’s recommendation, especially if you are particular about the finish/looks of your vehicle.

I will also add that if you decide to have Tesla replace the bumper with a new one that comes already painted and ready for installation… there is a risk that the paint on the new bumper will not be a 100% match to your existing paint. I recall seeing a few forum members report they had paint match issues when replacing their bumpers. Chances are probably good that you won’t have any issues, but it is a risk that you should be aware of. Tesla’s policy & remedial actions on matching paint are not clear/consistent. So, if there is a paint issue, your local Tesla center may or may not cover the cost to replace the bumper with another one in hopes the paint will be a better match.

The risk for paint mis-match is almost zero with a reputable, high quality paint/body shop.

Good luck!!!