Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My request that the Arizona Attorney General's office investigate Tesla's changes to Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said that they required an NDA, so he can't.
Yep. Par for the course for Tesla. This is obviously a special case resolution. @Walta has a pretty unique case in that he started with a v1 battery that had range problems and was replaced by a v3 (after a pretty long ordeal). So the things he had been through (and thus the solution Tesla is willing to offer him) can't be generally applied to others.

Yep. Par for the course for Tesla. This is obviously a special case resolution. @Walta has a pretty unique case in that he started with a v1 battery that had range problems and was replaced by a v3 (after a pretty long ordeal). So the things he had been through (and thus the solution Tesla is willing to offer him) can't be generally applied to others.
This claim had absolutely nothing to do with his earlier battery capacity problems. His claim, which was accepted by the CDSP, was about how Tesla had made it more difficult to access a feature he had paid for. This is not unique to him. Every person who purchased a P90DL v3 has suffered similar restrictions. The NDAs are so that others don't see what kind of concession were made, so that they can continue to push back on future customer claims. Each of us has to start over from scratch rather learning from other people's experiences.

Last edited:
This whole NDA business reminds me of something someone once said that seems quite pertinent

The acid test is that if you can't explain to a customer who paid full price why another customer didn't without being embarrassed, then it is not right.

That was about discounts but I believe it goes beyond that and holds true for all business decisions.

Previous with ludicrous mode
100 SOC ludicrous with MBR 488 kw 0-60 3.0 seconds
100 SOC ludicrous 466 kw

Now with insane
100 SOC insane with MBR 431 kw 0-60 3.2 seconds
100 SOC insane - still need to do this one
78 SOC insane 408 kw

lol, my "loaner" pack is insane then... max kw ever seen now is just around 431. granted thats without waiting the 45 min to heat the battery.

lol, my "loaner" pack is insane then... max kw ever seen now is just around 431. granted thats without waiting the 45 min to heat the battery.
For most of us - I would guess the typical day would consist of using the car with the battery at 90 percent. Then driving without waiting for MBR , or using launch mode?
That is how I drive my car - except when testing power levels. So for me that is my typical use case. Which is the most pertinent power level to indicate the daily performance I can expect when lining up against a predator,
I still need to run a test with 90 SOC and no MB or launch mode with insane, to compare against what I used to get with ludicrous in that same setup ( which was around 466 kw ). That would be the most telling example of the impact of removing ludicrous mode on your daily use of the performance.

I will get that test done soon.

This claim had absolutely nothing to do with his earlier battery capacity problems. His claim, which was accepted by the CDSP, was about how Tesla had made it more difficult to access a feature he had paid for. This is not unique to him. Every person who purchased a P90DL v3 has suffered similar restrictions. The NDAs are so that others don't see what kind of concession were made, so that they can continue to push back on future customer claims. Each of us has to start over from scratch rather learning from other people's experiences.
Sorry, I should have made it more clear. I know the recent claim was about the ludicrous mode, but Tesla offered this solution to @Walta given his previous history with the company with the battery issues. I doubt Tesla would be willing to offer the same to any random ludicrous owner.

Sorry, I should have made it more clear. I know the recent claim was about the ludicrous mode, but Tesla offered this solution to @Walta given his previous history with the company with the battery issues. I doubt Tesla would be willing to offer the same to any random ludicrous owner.
How do you know this? Tesla did nothing for Walta in either case before he filed a lemon law case against them. I don't think they gave any consideration to his previous woes, in a sudden fit of compassion. They settled this case on the merits of the ludicrous claim alone, under duress.

The way Tesla dealt with me on my ludicrous mode complaint - was completely independent of the prior battery issue. Since we never went to arbitration - the complaint I filed to CDSP was sufficient in Tesla's thinking to want to settle.

I did a test this morning.. with the car in the most common mode I typically drive it in.

P90D Insane - No MB or launch mode.

At 80 SOC 419 kw 0-60 3.0 seconds.

I was really surprised to see the 3.0 on the display - the only thing I noticed was the car did hook up really well to the road that run.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I hope things work out for you... can you share any status on your request for investigation?

Talked to the AZ AG office last week. Tesla has not responded to any requests for information. I have asked them if they planned on letting Tesla walk on this and they said they were meeting to see what the next move is. I will probably call them again next week.

Have you received anything?

Here is the update.

When the AZ AG told me that Tesla was not responding to their letters and calls, I waited about 10 days and then filed a small claims court suit.
This got Tesla to call me and they asked what I wanted. I told them if they restored everyone's car, I would drop all the complaints and they didn't need to pay me anything. I also told them that if they were not willing to do that, I would not want to sign a NDA for any settlement since all owners needed to be corrected for this error.
Then on the last day for the AZ AG, Tesla filed the letter attached.
Some of it is correct, and some is incorrect.
Because of the small claims complaint, the AZ AG is putting this on hold and they told me that whatever the outcome they will probably not re-open it because it would be settled in that court. When I told them that other AZ residents were affected, he said they would have to file to get this started again. Any AZ residents interested in filing?
Tesla had a deadline of 7-10-17 to respond to the small claims court. I am certain they have responded and am waiting to be contacted by the court.

Attachments

• Tesla AG response 7-7-17.pdf
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 87
purchased the Ludicrous Speed Upgrade for $10,000.00 with the understanding that this acceleration feature would not adversely wear his Tesla vehicle
Incomplete: There was also the expectation of "always on" behavior -- like every other Tesla vehicle and firmware version to date -- not "magic incantation for parlor trick usage only".

Ludicrous Mode allows the driver to go from 0-60 mph within just several seconds
Nitpick: I've never met anyone that uses "several" as a fuzzy replacement for "2-3". When use several, it means 6-8.

Prior to release, this feature (Ludicrous Mode) originally had a countdown function that would prepare both the vehicle and driver for Ludicrous Mode.
I find this defense troubling. Nothing about a countdown was publicly discussed or demonstrated before or after Ludicrous vehicles were offered and delivered to customers until after Launch Mode was later introduced. If I introduce "OMG this is gonna be awesome" speech and music as an easter egg into the firmware that no customer ever sees, I can then make an argument that customers should have some expectation that experience of the product might have countdowns of this type in the future? This would set a pretty horrid precedent if the court accepts this. "Please wait 7 hours while Windows loads (because we did it as an April fools joke in beta firmware last week)."

Tesla, you can do better.

Reactions: MP3Mike