Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My request that the Arizona Attorney General's office investigate Tesla's changes to Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You still need to engage Max battery to achieve maximum amperage.

Also, now you don't have to use launch mode to get full power. Meaning, you can get max power from a roll, as long as max battery is turned on. It seems the increase in current is immediate, although waiting for MBR will still offer a slight improvement as the battery warms up.

I haven't tested it yet, but I'm planning to do a pre and post update test to compare 0-60 times. Hopefully I'll have time this week.

• Informative
Reactions: P100DHG.
What does this mean exactly? I've been out of the loop dealing with Hurricane Harvey! If I don't use launch mode or max battery, do I still get full amperage on WOT?
@Model S M.D. I'm in the same position. I've never had the oppurtunity to wait for max battery ready (will the battery prep it self while the driver is not in the car?) but @n2mb_racing very informative and helpful.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
@Model S M.D. I'm in the same position. I've never had the oppurtunity to wait for max battery ready (will the battery prep it self while the driver is not in the car?) but @n2mb_racing very informative and helpful.

My guess from the old software is that you'll get 90% of the benefit by just turning on max battery. The remaining 10% will take time for the battery to heat up, but there's no reason to wait for it. Plus, you'll probably minimize wear on your battery by not heating it to the full temperature. I'll test later this week.

I gave up reading this thread many pages ago but saw the article with Jon's statement on this subject last night so figured time to check back in. Nice you guys get your power back although can't say I would want to push my car beyond what Tesla feels diagnostically safe for the car's life. Curious, if you damage it are you guys okay with footing the bill to replace the damaged parts? I've been to a few large organized auto races and seen engines blown and know this is part of the racing world, but never actually known anyone who does this with a car (just in videos some of you have posted of your track experiences). We just drove a P100D on trip and given the price of the car can't imagine wanting to risk damaging it.

I will add that I hope Tesla provides or will provide a way that any potential used car buyer of the P models can assess the car for damage due to too many launches and let them know how many launches were made.

race cars are not up market sedans. if tesla sold us a unreliable car, well thats what warranties are for.

now if i had gone out and contacted a 3rd party to remove restictions via software so i could get a 10.5 1/4 mile well then obviously i would not expect tesla to repair any damage done.

I would say doubtful, since Tesla had offered him a resolution but required an NDA to get it. And before this @Walta got a resolution that required an NDA. (And who knows how many others have done signed an NDA to get something.)

Speaking of which, @Walta now that the power has been returned are you still happy with your arrangement with Tesla over this?
Good question....

When I was running the V3 in the past - I would put MB ON and get about 488 kw instantly and it felt AMAZING. It would almost feel like I could get the front end up in the air. Now without ludicrous mode it is not as neck snapping, but I still have not lost a race off the line to anyone... including motorcycles. So , do I miss the extra power? Yes. Would I go back to ludicrous mode? No. And this is my reasoning at the moment.. the V3 battery is suspect to damage if you run it hard. If Tesla implements a fix, or over time empirical data shows that others are not hitting the battery replacement warning with aggressive driving? I might be interested in getting ludicrous mode back. Though with all this prior history in dealing with Tesla and some of their shady practices? I doubt I will ever invest in performance related Tesla products. As it stands now I "believe" I can drive the car hard all the time without inducing the battery replacement warning. I won't know for sure that is true until I drive it hard for a while... but so far we haven't heard any non ludicrous owners hitting the battery replacement warning.

Another gripe I have that has not been satisfied with the ludicrous mode option is that when it was sold to me the only requirement for full power was to select ludicrous mode... nothing else. For me that was worth the price of admission. Not so much with the wait for MBR etc.

I am interested in testing the new software on my car to see if it provides me any additional power. I am in a unique situation where I have an insane P90D with a V3 battery. I haven't received any software update requests as yet... maybe it is only for ludicrous cars?

Last edited:
I have a V1 battery but when I bought the car last year it had a loaner pack and the original battery was being "repaired" in Cali. I wonder if it makes any difference.
@GTIceman - Do you have Ludicrous? Are you saying that you took delivery of a factory new car that had a loaner battery in it at delivery? If you have Ludicrous and now have a V1 battery, I'd really like to see your 100% SOC max power.

It's weird how many people are reporting they have a V1 battery with summer of 2016 build dates. They started installing the V2 batteries in the beginning of 2016, from my recollection.

His signature has an underlined p90d, so ludicrous. He joined in August of 2016, and ordered in September. He should have a V3 battery.
@zanary is in the same situation. I don't know if he got it resolved, or not.
Good eye on the underline. My eyes... not so good. o_O
So does @zanary max out at around 357kW like most V1 batts?

This whole thing with the P90DL's just stinks to high hell. This model was advertised with performance specs which it could never deliver until they quietly started putting in a different battery and then quietly updating the firmware to unlock it's potential. Then this whole debacle with restricting power, then giving it back under only certain conditions. Then finally putting it back how it was.
This whole time seriously screwing the V1 folks because we'll never see the performance we paid for, AND we get screwed out of the 100kW upgrade that was promised to 90kW owners, which could potentially finally give us the performance we paid for, because now they say that's only for refresh cars (V2 & V3 cars).

Reactions: NSX1992 and Walta

This whole thing with the P90DL's just stinks to high hell. This model was advertised with performance specs which it could never deliver until they quietly started putting in a different battery and then quietly updating the firmware to unlock it's potential. Then this whole debacle with restricting power, then giving it back under only certain conditions. Then finally putting it back how it was.
This whole time seriously screwing the V1 folks because we'll never see the performance we paid for, AND we get screwed out of the 100kW upgrade that was promised to 90kW owners, which could potentially finally give us the performance we paid for, because now they say that's only for refresh cars (V2 & V3 cars).
I agree. It's a fiasco!
Here's a recent post of zanary's where his max power is 456KW. Definitely no 10.9 sec 1/4 mile.
My request that the Arizona Attorney General's office investigate Tesla's changes to Ludicrous Mode

Reactions: JohnnyG

Being an early V1 owner, and experiencing the frustration of dealing with Tesla over issues with range and performance. I feel your pain. I was so stressed out with the whole ordeal. To think you can drop so much coin on just the ludicrous option, and Tesla not even give you what you paid for? And then on top of it freakin argue about it! Then sneakily build a V3 battery that provides all the spec'd performance and range ( range is also way better with the V3 and hasn't degraded one mile in 9 months ) , and not tell anyone. I was naive enough to think that when the V3 battery came out, Tesla was going to have a recall for anyone who did not have the V3, to come in and get one. How much more incriminating can it get than to build a real P90DL car eventually that meets 10.9 ! Which adds salt to the wound for V1 owners, cause now their cars value is degraded. Who would want to buy a V1 version? If it isn't a V3 battery it isn't a P90DL.

I am curious about the 100 kw upgrade you are speaking about... I thought that no one could upgrade to 100 kw?

• Love
Reactions: AWDtsla and JohnnyG
His signature has an underlined p90d, so ludicrous. He joined in August of 2016, and ordered in September. He should have a V3 battery.
@zanary is in the same situation. I don't know if he got it resolved, or not.

I am still in the final steps of a resolution and unable to go into any details right now.

My numbers were higher. I've always been in the 445 to 460 range since day 1. This is with Tesla OS 7.x, up to and include the latest 8.1 release from last week. I'm using PowerTools to get these numbers. Don't have access to any other device to obtain the numbers I have posted.

I agree. It's a fiasco!
Here's a recent post of zanary's where his max power is 456KW. Definitely no 10.9 sec 1/4 mile.

Correct. I also posted some numbers on TMC months back with 8.0 and when 8.1 came out. It think they were all in the same range.

I have a v2 battery, 1071394-00-A, in my P90DL built 02/16.
In the latest parts worksheet, 1071394-00-A shows under as a Ludicrous battery for the Model S.

I thought that no one could upgrade to 100 kw?

a few folks have already upgraded to the P100D pack, but they were the $10K upgrade plan (i.e., Model S/X was in production when it was announced last August. I'm still waiting to see if anyone has done the $20K upgrade and who qualifies for it (i.e., need v3 battery with air suspension, or v2 with air suspension... etc.)