Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My request that the Arizona Attorney General's office investigate Tesla's changes to Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been told at least two other states are to be getting complaints on how Tesla has reduced the power in Ludicrous Mode. Hopefully they will restore the vehicle to the condition when we purchased them. I had hoped to avoid this.
Great to hear!

But sad that it takes a legal effort to attain the P90DL car that owners have paid so much money for. Tesla started out as a company that I wanted to support both by buying their product and letting others know they are a great company. What happened? Did Tesla management take a course in "The Art of the Deal" ?

Great to hear!

But sad that it takes a legal effort to attain the P90DL car that owners have paid so much money for. Tesla started out as a company that I wanted to support both by buying their product and letting others know they are a great company. What happened? Did Tesla management take a course in "The Art of the Deal" ?
Agree wholeheartedly. Hope this gets Tesla to correct this error and they do what Jon said he would in January.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
When it comes to right wing wackos, no state can outdo AZ. Anyone who sees an AZ elected official weighing in against Tesla on any issue as being good news, be careful what you wish for. (And yes, I do understand there are plenty of left wing wackos in the world-- just not in large numbers in AZ.)
Unfortunately, this is the only option along with small claims court. This was not my first choice.

Well you could have filed a complaint with the BBB to see if that got any response. (I have had very good luck with the BBB with other companies.)
BBB obviously doesn't have power to change anything so the AG is probably a more forceful option, but as I noted above Tesla's very existence in this state is tenous at best. I hate to see any state officials set their sights on Tesla for any negative reason lest it eventually lead to my future purchasing and service center needs being performed in Las Vegas or San Diego.

Reactions: GSP
I have never done well with the BBB. As a small business owner, I can tell you that you can buy a good rating. Also, they tend to favor the business IMO. Your results may vary.

Yeah, I don't bother with the BBB ratings, but I have had occasion to use the BBB three times recently and all three times I got a call from the office of the president, or vice president, within 4 days of submitting the BBB form and in all of the cases the issue was resolved promptly. From looking at the Tesla complaints on the BBB site I'm not sure they are as responsive, but it certainly wouldn't hurt and might bring the issue to the attention of someone who hasn't heard about it yet. (And hey, what do you have to lose, it is free and only takes a few minutes, even less if you cut/paste from other things you have already sent them. Though I have to imagine that the AG will likely get a faster/better response at this point.)

Well you could have filed a complaint with the BBB to see if that got any response. (I have had very good luck with the BBB with other companies.)
I think BBB might work before Jon's response. But Jon's response seems to be the last compromise solution Tesla is willing to offer (without a legal battle). For people not satisfied with that (some were), I guess the legal way may be the way to go.

Trivia - You can essentially 'buy' a good BBB rating unless things have changed. Ask.

A Duns and Bradstreet credit rating is also for sale. This is how a corp with 3A 1 DUNS defrauded me out of $25k, filed General Assignment (BK), and the next week had a stellar credit rating after defaulting on $12 million of debt.

Never trust either one.

What happens when an owner of a high performance car (Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Corvette...) breaks something on their car due to drag racing?

Do those manufacturers willingly replace parts or tell the owners the repairs are not covered under warranty?

Porsche voids, Ferrari voids, no idea about Lambo, Subaru voids, BMW voids (even at a BMW sponsored 'fun' event).

Chevrolet normally fixes your car if you left the car stock. But they are pretty hard to break. Not exactly fragile. I know this from personal experience, not just the press releases. Never a problem with warranty for me on track use. Fried clutch on ZR1? Fixed for free. Blew supercharger on Cadillac drag racing? Fixed for free. Grenaded PS pump AutoX'g a Camaro? Fixed in under 24hr under warranty. I always told them what happened. Note that it takes a lot of runs or laps to break these kinds of things.

Now from press releases, instead of my good relationships with my dealers:
http://jalopnik.com/scared-to-take-your-car-out-for-a-track-day-gm-can-cha-1768765826

In the arena where many Tesla buyers hail from, closed course use exempts you from warranty repairs.

Last edited:
I guess writing to the AG, who will now pass your complaint onto Tesla and ask for their response, is an "investigation" of sorts but it's not the type of AG investigation I expected when I read your title to this thread. What you posted is a form letter, the body of which does not even need to be revised for anyone complaining about any product. I could send in a complaint about my Hot Wheel's Tesla being defective and I would likely get the same letter.

My prediction: Tesla will send a response similar to the hp issue, and the AG will tell you it's a civil matter between you and Tesla.

do you know that the BBB is only a data collection agency, and while they can steer you towards reputable businesses and away from ones that are not reputable they have zero investigatory or enforcement powers amongst non members.
I think business can buy the accreditation of the BBB
Better Business Bureau - Wikipedia

Bravo! Tesla needs to be called out for the types of behavior they are engaging in and if it takes the AG's office to do it, so be it.

Yes. Tesla deserves this and more for their egregious behavior. But I doubt much will come of it. Maybe other state AGs will join in as complaints rise on other causes (AP2) and people grow increasingly frustrated with Tesla.

I guess writing to the AG, who will now pass your complaint onto Tesla and ask for their response, is an "investigation" of sorts but it's not the type of AG investigation I expected when I read your title to this thread. What you posted is a form letter, the body of which does not even need to be revised for anyone complaining about any product. I could send in a complaint about my Hot Wheel's Tesla being defective and I would likely get the same letter.

My prediction: Tesla will send a response similar to the hp issue, and the AG will tell you it's a civil matter between you and Tesla.
Very possible. I have only gone this route once before and it was settled quickly. I thought I posted this accurately. They have started an investigation based on my complaint. What Tesla's response is and the AG determination is anyone's guess.

• Helpful