TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My request to Road & Track

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ToddRLockwood, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Dear Road & Track,

I've been waiting for Road & Track to do a bonafide review of the Tesla Model S Performance sedan, and not one comparing it to other EVs and hybrids. There's nothing in that realm that comes close. I suggest putting the Model S Performance up against a Porsche Panamera and a BMW M5. These cars have very similar price/performance stats. With its 300 mile range and Tesla's new Supercharger network, the Model S should be looked at as a real car. The minor inconveniences of charging are balanced by $3,000-$4,000 per year in fuel savings and a whole lot less maintenance. Bring on the German super-sedans!

Todd R. Lockwood

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The recent Car and Driver review wasn't bad in this regard, although not a head-to-head comparison. Where Model S comes up short with other cars in its class is in features and equipment (Blind Spot Alert, Lane Departure Warning, Front and Rear Park Assist, Memory Seats/Radio Presets/Mirrors etc. and such things).

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I'd also argue that price/performance is not similar. Given the savings in fuel for the Model S, it shows significant price advantages.

4. ToddRLockwood

I think the Model S could survive those shortcomings with its technical dazzle. Plus Road & Track tends to focus on raw performance. That's their audience.

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I think maybe your response was partially to mknox's comment...as obviously the fuel savings is not a shortcoming :). But I agree with you, the lack of some "luxury" features ought to be compensated by the absolutely revolutionary drivetrain.

6. ToddRLockwood

Yes, you have that right, Todd. Motor heads tend to focus on performance numbers, so let them! And that 17-inch display has got the cool factor hands-down.

7. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

You mean a more in depth version of this: Porsche Panamera GTS vs. Tesla Model S Track Test ?

8. ToddRLockwood

#8 ToddRLockwood, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
    Yes, although the GTS was probably not a fair comparison since it costs nearly $30K more. Another one to consider would be the Audi S8. And I'm sure there must be an AMG Mercedes model that would be appropriate.

To be fair, the contenders should probably all be in the 4000-pound and up class.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#9 vfx, Oct 6, 2012
    And please R&T, point out very clearly what the launch control procedure is for each vehicle.

10. ToddRLockwood

#10 ToddRLockwood, Oct 6, 2012
    That's a good point. They really should include of cost of ownership comparison over 3, 5 & 8 years. It's pretty simple with the Model S... $600/year + tires & tire changes + electricity.