Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My request to Road & Track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Road & Track,

I've been waiting for Road & Track to do a bonafide review of the Tesla Model S Performance sedan, and not one comparing it to other EVs and hybrids. There's nothing in that realm that comes close. I suggest putting the Model S Performance up against a Porsche Panamera and a BMW M5. These cars have very similar price/performance stats. With its 300 mile range and Tesla's new Supercharger network, the Model S should be looked at as a real car. The minor inconveniences of charging are balanced by $3,000-$4,000 per year in fuel savings and a whole lot less maintenance. Bring on the German super-sedans!

Todd R. Lockwood

Dear Road & Track,

I've been waiting for Road & Track to do a bonafide review of the Tesla Model S Performance sedan, and not one comparing it to other EVs and hybrids.

The recent Car and Driver review wasn't bad in this regard, although not a head-to-head comparison. Where Model S comes up short with other cars in its class is in features and equipment (Blind Spot Alert, Lane Departure Warning, Front and Rear Park Assist, Memory Seats/Radio Presets/Mirrors etc. and such things).

I think the Model S could survive those shortcomings with its technical dazzle. Plus Road & Track tends to focus on raw performance. That's their audience.

I think maybe your response was partially to mknox's comment...as obviously the fuel savings is not a shortcoming :). But I agree with you, the lack of some "luxury" features ought to be compensated by the absolutely revolutionary drivetrain.

Dear Road & Track,

I've been waiting for Road & Track to do a bonafide review of the Tesla Model S Performance sedan, and not one comparing it to other EVs and hybrids. There's nothing in that realm that comes close. I suggest putting the Model S Performance up against a Porsche Panamera and a BMW M5. These cars have very similar price/performance stats. With its 300 mile range and Tesla's new Supercharger network, the Model S should be looked at as a real car. The minor inconveniences of charging are balanced by $3,000-$4,000 per year in fuel savings and a whole lot less maintenance. Bring on the German super-sedans!

Todd R. Lockwood
You mean a more in depth version of this: Porsche Panamera GTS vs. Tesla Model S Track Test ?

You mean a more in depth version of this: Porsche Panamera GTS vs. Tesla Model S Track Test ?

Yes, although the GTS was probably not a fair comparison since it costs nearly $30K more. Another one to consider would be the Audi S8. And I'm sure there must be an AMG Mercedes model that would be appropriate.

To be fair, the contenders should probably all be in the 4000-pound and up class.

Last edited: