Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY road noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to get rid of a 2013 MB SL 550 for the Y as i want the gadgets and electric. now I’m thinking the gadget aspect will be cool for a bit and then the creeks and road noise will make me want my other car back...

In reading this it sounds like going from a luxury car to this will let us down after the new/cool aspect is over...

I've had a couple of BMW's including a 7 series and the road noise at speed in the Model 3 is noticeably louder and I was hoping the Y would improve at least some. But I don't see how the improvement using 75% Model 3 parts is going to be enough for those wehre this is a huge priority. The tech and performance are amazing though.

• Informative
Reactions: Ralbright
I’d be coming from a 4-year old Porsche Macan- practically no rattles and pretty quiet on the road. Disappointing to hear about your experience, as a lower-to mid priced Macan is about the same price as a performance level model Y.
I just picked up my Model Y yesterday and traded my Porsche Macan. My concern was noise and handling. In my short drive I was surprised how much I liked the new MY. Maybe I set the bar lower with my concerns, but I really enjoyed the drive. It makes an interesting sound as you accelerate too (really kind of cool). I will keep you posted as I drive it more. In sport mode you feel the road more than in the Macan. The extra room in the back is great as I kitesurf. Hope that helps you.

I just picked up my Model Y yesterday and traded my Porsche Macan. My concern was noise and handling. In my short drive I was surprised how much I liked the new MY. Maybe I set the bar lower with my concerns, but I really enjoyed the drive. It makes an interesting sound as you accelerate too (really kind of cool). I will keep you posted as I drive it more. In sport mode you feel the road more than in the Macan. The extra room in the back is great as I kitesurf. Hope that helps you.

Good to know. I used to drive a Macan pretty regularly, so I'm very familiar with that ride. I'm using it as an unofficial benchmark for the Y. I like that you can feel the road more. How's the handling in comparison?

Did you get the 21 inch wheels? I assume the sport mode you mention is simply acceleration as i dont think the suspension is adjustable.

Appreciate your comments, keep them coming as you drive it more...

Got my Model Y AWD (VIN 31xx) on 20" Inductions two days ago, switching from Model 3 LR RWD (VIN 144xx) on 18" Aeros.

<HOTTAKE> Model Y rides rougher, seems louder, feels less connected to road, more rattles. </HOTTAKE> Only driven less than 10 miles, will know more soon. Big upgrade in space, downgrade in driving fun.

Got my Model Y AWD (VIN 31xx) on 20" Inductions two days ago, switching from Model 3 LR RWD (VIN 144xx) on 18" Aeros.

<HOTTAKE> Model Y rides rougher, seems louder, feels less connected to road, more rattles. </HOTTAKE> Only driven less than 10 miles, will know more soon. Big upgrade in space, downgrade in driving fun.

I expected the higher center of gravity and extra 400 lbs. would negatively impact driving fun but I had hoped for quieter and better ride....others coming from the 3 claim the Y is quieter so it might depend a lot on the wheel package you have. I guess I better keep my BMW 2 series for driving fun.

KRG21 and LarryFL1,

In follow up to your questions. I haven't been able to take corners fast yet and exit ramps etc to get a true feel. As far as acceleration, passing and lane change maneuvers and all it handles very nice. Comparable to the Macan which I drove in Sport mode always. When I mentioned Sport Mode in Model Y, it was referencing the steering and acceleration (see picture attached)

. I will test it more and let you know. I have the 21" wheels and they seem great. It has much less noise than my wife's Model 3 (Aero wheels). I like the handling of the Y a lot so far and seems quite enough for the fun so far. Will pay more attention as I know many of us coming from luxury vehicles like the performance and quite too (my last cars were BMWs and Porsche's).

Tesla.jpg

KRG21 and LarryFL1,

In follow up to your questions. I haven't been able to take corners fast yet and exit ramps etc to get a true feel. As far as acceleration, passing and lane change maneuvers and all it handles very nice. Comparable to the Macan which I drove in Sport mode always. When I mentioned Sport Mode in Model Y, it was referencing the steering and acceleration (see picture attached)

. I will test it more and let you know. I have the 21" wheels and they seem great. It has much less noise than my wife's Model 3 (Aero wheels). I like the handling of the Y a lot so far and seems quite enough for the fun so far. Will pay more attention as I know many of us coming from luxury vehicles like the performance and quite too (my last cars were BMWs and Porsche's).

View attachment 526117
Great thanks..

I went up to the Tesla in west palm beach to look at my Y... 21 inch, msm...looks nice..

I take delivery Tuesday as i have to have some electronics removed from my other car first...

Great thanks..

I went up to the Tesla in west palm beach to look at my Y... 21 inch, msm...looks nice..

I take delivery Tuesday as i have to have some electronics removed from my other car first...
Larry - You'll really like it. I drove on Lyons Rd today up to 70mph and it was a little noisier than the other day, but it could be as well that I had the back seats down and was really listening for noise too. I was wondering if all the glass makes it harder to fully insulate the sound? - Not sure. It still is quieter than my woes Model 3. The handling is really nice. It is fun to drive like my Macan. Tomorrow will get a much better chance to try it in several conditions.

Reactions: gtbuzz
KRG21 and LarryFL1,

View attachment 526117

I would love any review and comparisons between the Y and the Macan going forward as you get used to the Y. I thought the Model 3 was almost as much fun to drive as my BMW 2 series M sport.....the low COG and quick steering not to mention torque explosion were definitely top notch in the dual motor 3..

Thanks for the insights. I feel the Model Y is quieter as well (but as you said data says otherwise). Handling MY vs M3 - were you in sport mode for acceleration and steering? - for a direct comparison. I find the handling to be great in the MY.
This is not my video. I made a reservation for white/white performance Y back in March 2019, but the road noise is my biggest concern. Just waiting to see what will happen with the economy before finalizing the purchasing steps in my Tesla account.

KRG21 and LarryFL1,

View attachment 526117

I recommend giving Hold mode a try. Takes a bit of getting used to, but I think it makes driving feel even better since you never have to switch pedals. Makes it really easy and fun to launch out of a corner that you have to slow down for, just lift off the go pedal to slow down and then mash the pedal to the floor to launch it. :)

I recommend giving Hold mode a try. Takes a bit of getting used to, but I think it makes driving feel even better since you never have to switch pedals. Makes it really easy and fun to launch out of a corner that you have to slow down for, just lift off the go pedal to slow down and then mash the pedal to the floor to launch it. :)

Like downshifting in a manual without all the extra work and wearing out the clutch.

We have a 2020 LR AWD Model 3 and a 2020 P/UG Model Y. I just did a couple of test drives to compare sound levels. I used a decibel meter to measure sound levels on identical stretches of road with identical conditions.

The 3 has nearly new Michelin Cross Climate+ 235/45-18 on TSportline 18" rims. These tires are very quiet and have great rolling resistance. I typically get the same energy consumption with this setup as with the stock rims & tires with aero hubcaps. The back seats were up.

The Y is a brand new Performance model with the stock 21" rims and tires. The back seats were down. These tires are probably louder than the Cross Climates on the 3.

Sound levels averaged 2db quieter in the Y. The Y varied, depending on the road surface, from 0 to 3 Db quieter than the 3. It's my guess that the average is about 2Db quieter. Most surfaces seemed to be right around 2.

OK, now that I've put in a few dozen more miles on the car, I'm more impressed. Whatever caused the initial rattle is gone. Driving around on different asphalt surfaces and at 75mph+ on freeways, the noise level seems more muted than it was in the Model 3. I've warmed up to the handling as well. And the amount of space remains excellent.