Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY road noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting replies, thanks for chiming in. Again, I'm encouraged that maybe mine is a one-off issue.
For example, I drove our 2013 Fiat 500e to work today (just got it back from the shop yay!) and it was significantly quieter. I'm not trying to be a basher - I've been thinking of getting a Tesla for 5 years. I drove a friend's S and I paid a lot of attention to road noise and it was great.

I just got a MY with PUP and I absolutely love the car and upgraded the wheels to 20 inch TSS Sportlines hoping to soften the ride, but it definitely rides rougher than I expected. The ride is more like an BMW M3 than the 5 series I just got rid of.

Has anyone noticed it’s a bit rough on the ride?

PS- I still love it!

Attachments

• 960D8789-8BD7-4988-8137-2511D897BD71.jpeg
    960D8789-8BD7-4988-8137-2511D897BD71.jpeg
    626.7 KB · Views: 89
I just got a MY with PUP and I absolutely love the car and upgraded the wheels to 20 inch TSS Sportlines hoping to soften the ride, but it definitely rides rougher than I expected. The ride is more like an BMW M3 than the 5 series I just got rid of.

PS- I still love it!

not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but I notice my ride is rougher with sport steering, not sure if placebo. With standard steering, my ride is adequate and comparable to other spring suspension suvs.

PS- I still love it!
I went from a 5 series to a MY last week... I don't really feel that it's rough. More in the other direction. I feel like I was more in touch with the road with the BMW and the MY floats through the corners a bit. I have the 20" tires/wheels.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Thanks to everyone for the wind buffeting hatch adjustment tricks. I did mine and only one of the contact points was not super tight.
Didn't make a difference. As My-Y points out, the low frequency noise is just strange - on a normal slightly bumpy street at 27 mph, it's borderline painful. Smooths out as you go faster. On the freeway, it's all road surface: there seems to be almost no noise insulation whatsoever from the pavement.
That said, what a machine - it transforms driving and the experience, except the noise issue, is revolutionary. I hope I get that straightened out, but even if I don't, I'll still enjoy the car.

My low frequency noise is basically gone now.

I noticed with the bumpers all touching, the gasket was touching pretty lightly. I pulled the bottom trim off, loosened the two torx bolts, and tapped the catch with a rubber hammer to set it to its lowest position. You need to make the torx bolts pretty tight or the catch will move back.

Before attempting to close, I moved the bumpers back up so they wouldn't touch so I could repeat the adjustment procedure. With only the gasket touching, the hatch latches on it's own about 50% of the time. I could move the catch up a little, but figured the gasket will settle in after a few days. (I'm on day two of this test, on day one I had to push down a little to make it latch, now 50/50, and hopefully 100% in a week.) Make sure your trim is tucked properly back under the door gasket when done. I pulled the gasket off partially to do this.

Setting the bumpers to all equally touch was the final step.

There is still a little low frequency rumble now and then, but it's basically gone. Before doing this, I found the noise (some of which is likely subsonic) a big problem. Now my MY is nice and quiet. There is very little wind noise and minimal noise from the foam-lined OEM 19" tires.

Naturally, I could have had the service center do this adjustment, I just figured I'd spend more time to get it just right.

Thanks MY-Y! I'm not 100% sure what you did, I'm taking it in for service on Monday, I'll bring this thread in with me to consult with them.
Funny thing: there's no "dual motor" badge on my car. I'm going to need one for chain control in the mountains this winter, so hopefully they can stick one on for me.

Interesting replies, thanks for chiming in. Again, I'm encouraged that maybe mine is a one-off issue.
For example, I drove our 2013 Fiat 500e to work today (just got it back from the shop yay!) and it was significantly quieter. I'm not trying to be a basher - I've been thinking of getting a Tesla for 5 years. I drove a friend's S and I paid a lot of attention to road noise and it was great.

Do you head any high pitch whining sounds from motors while cruising around? That a big issue for me. I hear it loudest going 40-50mph and it's with light pressure on accelerator (not cruising or Regen). Actually, the motor is generally louder than what is expect and have heard in other Teslas in all cases (even acceleration and Regen). The high frequency noises are so loud it's hard to drown out even with radio on with volume up pretty high.

Do you head any high pitch whining sounds from motors while cruising around? That a big issue for me. I hear it loudest going 40-50mph and it's with light pressure on accelerator (not cruising or Regen). Actually, the motor is generally louder than what is expect and have heard in other Teslas in all cases (even acceleration and Regen). The high frequency noises are so loud it's hard to drown out even with radio on with volume up pretty high.

Hmm...not really, I don't think, on exactly what you describe. I've heard others complain of noises from the heat pump, but I've never perceived it. Wind noise is also not an issue with me (and I'm very tuned into this, so they've done an ok job with it), it's really road noise, on anything but super smooth pavement, and the percussive booms over any bumps in the road.
My appointment with Tesla service is on Monday, curious to see what they think and do. I'd love to get this straightened out as I think the rest of the car is fabulous. Reviews don't do justice to how nice autopilot is and just the EV driving experience in general is so much nicer than in an ICE car, AND, it's carbon free in my case (solar and all renewable energy coming in) which I think is the most important part of all.

Picked up my Model Y (non performance) last week. Noticing 2 types of wind noise that are certainly much higher than my 2015 X5 I came from:

• High frequency wind noise coming from what seems like the windshield or perhaps hood.
  • Low frequency buffeting type noise - no idea where it is coming from, but it is immediately uncomfortable when it happens. Only happens at speed.
Will be taking it in for some small alignment / rattle fixes soon. I'll bring up these issues, but I'm not sure what they could do about it...

Picked up my Model Y (non performance) last week. Noticing 2 types of wind noise that are certainly much higher than my 2015 X5 I came from:

• High frequency wind noise coming from what seems like the windshield or perhaps hood.
  • Low frequency buffeting type noise - no idea where it is coming from, but it is immediately uncomfortable when it happens. Only happens at speed.
Will be taking it in for some small alignment / rattle fixes soon. I'll bring up these issues, but I'm not sure what they could do about it...
Buffeting is from the rear hatch stops being misadjusted. Do a search on it or look at some of my recent posts on this.

Reactions: Kelr316