Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY road noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buffeting is from the rear hatch stops being misadjusted. Do a search on it or look at some of my recent posts on this.

Hmmm just followed the videos instructions (with an envelope), everything was already nice and tight. Also have a rattle in the middle of the rear hatch (between the 2 speakers) and a rattle at the open end of the passenger door.

These noises are driving me crazy / preventing me from showing it to my friends who I'd like to convert to Tesla!

Service scheduled for 6 days from now in Torrance, CA.

Try the soapy water technique. I also went all out and started by setting the catch to its lowest position so I'd get a better seal with the gasket. See my post earlier in the thread about this.

Hi team,

Well, interesting visit to Tesla service this morning. They were very nice and professional.
They listened and two techs took the car out for a spin.
Their take was nothing is wrong and that this is just what the MY sounds like. I still find this very hard to believe, but of course I can't exactly jump into a bunch of MYs for a test drive right now.
The were totally unfamiliar with the "buffeting" issue and any issues around the hatch sealing correctly leading to excess noise.
They simply looked at the hatch and said "it looks fine," with no in-depth analysis.

MY-Y: could you maybe reach out to me so I can really understand your hatch work you did? It's not 100% clear to me and at this point I'd like to try it.

Hi team,

Well, interesting visit to Tesla service this morning. They were very nice and professional.
They listened and two techs took the car out for a spin.
Their take was nothing is wrong and that this is just what the MY sounds like. I still find this very hard to believe, but of course I can't exactly jump into a bunch of MYs for a test drive right now.
The were totally unfamiliar with the "buffeting" issue and any issues around the hatch sealing correctly leading to excess noise.
They simply looked at the hatch and said "it looks fine," with no in-depth analysis.

MY-Y: could you maybe reach out to me so I can really understand your hatch work you did? It's not 100% clear to me and at this point I'd like to try it.
Adjust these...
20200706_204222.jpg
20200706_204216.jpg

When you wipe them with a paper towel dipped in soapy water, they will leave marks like these when you close the hatch. If you go too far, the hatch won't close by itself. I adjusted the catch for a better gasket seal, but I'm not sure it was necessary.

It's a really important step. I had the SC adjust them when they were fixing a couple things just to see if they would do better than I did. They set all four stops so they didn't touch - much buffeting until I set them again.
20200706_204207.jpg
20200706_204203.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Kelr316
Thanks MY-Y! I already set them snug with the envelope test and it didn't seem to have any effect. I'll try with the soapy wet paper towel method this evening after walking the dog. I'll report back.
I really would like my fancy new car to be as quiet (or at least close to) as my 2013 Fiat and my Prius! Trying to stay positive and keep working for a solution. Right now it's like driving a tin can with someone banging on it and a hole over the rear wheels, it's truly bizarre. Ok, staying positive...

Hi team,

i tried a few simple remedies: Blanket in the frunk, and a a thick one doubled up under the new Tasmanian truck liner.
I honestly think it made a small difference. The main issue is clearly from the wheel wells though and the strange openings above the cubby holes - if you put your head next to the slits/openings and tap on the outside of the car or above the wheels themselves, it's like a drum resonating right into the car.
That said, it seems like some good sound deadening there and completely sealing in that section could make a huge difference. I'm looking for local body shops willing to do it, as that's beyond my DYI time and skills. I'll report back when I make some progress.

Hi team,

i tried a few simple remedies: Blanket in the frunk, and a a thick one doubled up under the new Tasmanian truck liner.
I honestly think it made a small difference. The main issue is clearly from the wheel wells though and the strange openings above the cubby holes - if you put your head next to the slits/openings and tap on the outside of the car or above the wheels themselves, it's like a drum resonating right into the car.
That said, it seems like some good sound deadening there and completely sealing in that section could make a huge difference. I'm looking for local body shops willing to do it, as that's beyond my DYI time and skills. I'll report back when I make some progress.
My Model S had this new kind of low frequency booming road sound, which I quickly came to love over ICE sounds. The Y has about that same acoustic booming but far from unpleasant. Those who have buffeting where it feels like your ears are going to pop have a different issue that can be remedied with adjustments to the hatch stops.

Reactions: polyphonic54
Got my PY today vin 14xx and tire noise is def present compared to my 43xx vin Model 3 with 19’s. That’s primarily due to the Pirelli Pzeros, my mother had them on a Mercedes and we hated them. No creeks or rattles and much much less wind noise compared to my 3 comparable to current 3 vins. My girl loves it! Def like the stance of the PY.

View attachment 524205

Whoa! That's gorgeous looking - Congratulations! I'm taking delivery of my Red Model Y Performance with PUP on July 25th - So Excited!

How soft/squishy are those rubber adjusters for the hatch stops? They look more substantial than the Model S adjusters, but if you can easily push down on them, they will have trouble fighting against any material hatch movement. On my Model S, I replaced them with solid rubber dowels as I am pretty sensitive to the issue (I hear it in most Model Ses I've been in)...it doesn't help that the two roads closest to my house (aka - ones I drive on every time I take it out) have washboard surfaces which make the boom/buffeting pretty obvious.

Test drove a performance Y today. Only two complaints, road noise on freeway and seat heater kept coming on (guessing user error). I actually measured the decibels with a free app so not sure how accurate it was but it was a little louder (into the 80's) than the 20 year old mercedes e class I came in. To be fair the old merc has really big tires, while the performance y has those low profile things. Not sure if it's a dealbreaker but would love to know what the smallest rims/largest tires could fit on one and if that is the main source of noise.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
I have the same concerns coming from a very quiet Lexus LS. From the few reports so far the MY will definitely not be as quiet. The question is will it be at a tolerable level that I can get used to.

My Grandma has a 15 year old LS, it is still the quietest car I've ever been in, so peaceful to drive in, way quieter than the Y I drove today, although the tires are at least 2x as thick on the LS.