Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY road noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traded in my Model X today for the Y (non performance). Build quality was great, better than both Model X's i had (2016 & 2018). The Model Y is MUCH more nimble than the X. Much quieter as well. I have zero complaints about road noise and I have had everything from BMW, Lexus, Porsche & Mercedes. I also think the stereo is FANTASTIC! Turn the volume up and it will drown out any road noise.

The question ought to be: How much high frequency wind noise does the Y have at highway speeds?

In every Tesla I've been in, sans the NVH stripped Roadster and early S, the limiting factor has always been the wind noise due to the stupid frameless windows.

Rumble from the road is low frequency, hence more psychoacoustically tolerable. Besides, the HV pack really helps road noise as it is. And you can even go custom with dynamat and MLV to kill road noise.

But when it comes to Tesla and wind noise, were F'ed. Even the cybertruck has frameless windows lol!!

The problem is Tesla has a stupid amount of high frequency sound pollution at highway speeds, both from wind and electronics. My girlfriend's 2012 Chevrolet Cruze has better NVH than my Model S, hands down, despite being objectionably louder on a dB meter. It's a dull roar vs. a white noise machine.

Take the Y on a 2 hour cruise at 80mph on a windy day. Then report back here.

Last edited:
I have not done a 2 hour high speed cruise in the Y yet, but I should some time in the next few days. I have done it in a our 2020 3 though, and I don't find the wind noise objectionable. In fact, I find the car rather quiet on the right road surface. I haven't done instrumented testing at those speeds, so this is subjective. I posted my sound measurements taken anywhere from 30 to 70 mph and the Y was anywhere from 0 - 3 db quieter than the 3. I will add to that my subjective impression that the Y is quieter, and what noise there is is less objectionable, than the 3. That's purely subjective, but after multiple back to back trips in both the Y and the 3, both my wife and I find the Y quieter and more pleasant to be in as far as sound. Perhaps the later 3s have improved gaps that caused the white noise you complain of. I'm not saying it isn't annoying to you. I am saying though that we aren't noticing that as an issue. We do notice road noise in the 3 that is mildly annoying, but as I said that is improved in the Y to the point neither of us find it objectionable. I find the Y at least as pleasant audibly to be in as the Audis and BMWs I've been in. Again though, that last point is purely subjective.

Reactions: liuping and eyedrop
If you are a normal person, the Y will be awesome

Mine (non-performance, 20 in wheels, LR AWD) feels more quiet than the 3 but less quiet than my last car, a nov 2016 S (totalled)

it drives And handles far better than the X

Build quality far better than my S. I do have a scratch on steering wheel, that’s it.
I’m very pleasantly surprised

Tesla is clearly learning
If it matters, my vin is <250

How much of this road noise is relative? I mean, are others not hearing road noise because the mechanical ICE noises mask it? No engine noise, so I wonder if the unmasked road noise just seems louder or if it actually is.
Psychoacoustics are a thing, and Tesla hasn't focused on them one bit. Instead, they make loosely put together rolling tin cans from the future.

I just took delivery of my Model Y on 4/2 and took it on the freeway for the first time today. At speeds over 60, the ride did not feel completely smooth. It felt somewhat like the wheels might be slightly out of alignment or balance. Has anyone else experienced this?

There also seemed to be a little "acoustic pulsing". We used to own an Acura MDX and if you opened the window on only one side, there would be a wind buffeting (pulsing) sound that would make your ears hurt and make you feel slightly nauseous. In the Model Y, there seemed to be a very subtle version of the same issue, but with all windows up. This could be related to the potential wheel issue above?

I have the Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive with 20’’ Induction Wheels

I just took delivery of my Model Y on 4/2 and took it on the freeway for the first time today. At speeds over 60, the ride did not feel completely smooth. It felt somewhat like the wheels might be slightly out of alignment or balance. Has anyone else experienced this?

There also seemed to be a little "acoustic pulsing". We used to own an Acura MDX and if you opened the window on only one side, there would be a wind buffeting (pulsing) sound that would make your ears hurt and make you feel slightly nauseous. In the Model Y, there seemed to be a very subtle version of the same issue, but with all windows up. This could be related to the potential wheel issue above?

Check that the tires aren’t over inflated. Some cars are shipped with tires at max pressure to stop flat spots and they are not adjusted to correct pressure before delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: SFLKiting

Oh no...not the dreaded pressure buffeting from the Model S. It could be the hatch adjusters not screwed out far enough...and thus the hatch moves (like you are in a big speaker) in and out slightly.

Oh no...not the dreaded pressure buffeting from the Model S. It could be the hatch adjusters not screwed out far enough...and thus the hatch moves (like you are in a big speaker) in and out slightly.

I'm happy to report that I think it's OK. I think a couple factors were going on here. First, there were no model Ys to test drive and that was my first drive in a model Y. My basis for comparison was a test drive in a model 3 with a few thousand miles on it. Second, it was extremely new, having only 22 miles on it when delivered. I took it to the dealership and they were familiar with the previous model S buffeting issues. They had 4 different technicians drive it and and check the specs. They found everything to be in spec and reported no buffeting issues. Today I took it on a 40 mile drive that included a section of 70 MPH freeway and found the ride to be entirely enjoyable and did not experience any of the subtle buffeting from my first freeway drive. I'm chalking up my first experience to some extremely new car stiffness that was addressed with a bit more driving. Plus, no one else has reported this issue in a model Y, so I think it's a non issue.

I'm happy to report that I think it's OK. I think a couple factors were going on here. First, there were no model Ys to test drive and that was my first drive in a model Y. My basis for comparison was a test drive in a model 3 with a few thousand miles on it. Second, it was extremely new, having only 22 miles on it when delivered. I took it to the dealership and they were familiar with the previous model S buffeting issues. They had 4 different technicians drive it and and check the specs. They found everything to be in spec and reported no buffeting issues. Today I took it on a 40 mile drive that included a section of 70 MPH freeway and found the ride to be entirely enjoyable and did not experience any of the subtle buffeting from my first freeway drive. I'm chalking up my first experience to some extremely new car stiffness that was addressed with a bit more driving. Plus, no one else has reported this issue in a model Y, so I think it's a non issue.

Very good. I will say that in the "S" it is definitely way more noticeable on any street with a washboard surface (eg sort of rapidly recurring ripples). In looking at online videos I see what look to be hatch rest pads on each side right above the taillights on the body and what MIGHT be rest pads on the left/right side of the plastic trim pad on floor of the trunk closest to the bumper (there are indentations there). Does that seem correct? Are there corresponding rubber adjusters in those 4 spots on the hatch itself?

I just had my Model Y serviced because of excessive wind noise complaints from the driver window. It wasn’t that bad but I would notice it on street driving and sounded like a window wasn’t closed all the way. Luckily they found the culprit and made adjustment to the b pillar seal and it’s a lot better. Now I gotta take it because because my steering wheel isn’t dead center in the neutral position. Yupp I’m picky

I just had my Model Y serviced because of excessive wind noise complaints from the driver window. It wasn’t that bad but I would notice it on street driving and sounded like a window wasn’t closed all the way. Luckily they found the culprit and made adjustment to the b pillar seal and it’s a lot better. Now I gotta take it because because my steering wheel isn’t dead center in the neutral position. Yupp I’m picky

Nah not picky. Both of those things would annoy me a lot more than a tiny spec in the paint.

Hi,
I've had my MY for 3 weeks. The road noise is terrible - as soon as you hit any rough pavement it's annoyingly/painfully loud. It also "booms" over any bump. I was going to return the car but I was out of town on day 7. My current plan is to go back and report it as a lemon and hope it's something wrong with my car and it can be fixed or I can get a new one, but I haven't had time to do it yet.
For comparison, it's way louder than a Prius or Subaru Forester or any other normal car. Otherwise, I love the car, but this has been a major disappointment as I bought it largely for road trips and value a quiet comfortable car.
I do have some hope reading the comments that maybe mine is exceptionally loud, as there is no way any reasonable person used to decent cars, least of all luxury cars, would say "this isn't very bad." I'll report back when I get some feedback from Tesla but it may be awhile.

Had my MY 6 days now. I find it very quiet (got rid of a BMW 5 series). I enjoy the silence. My wife has a Mercedes SUV (also very quiet but I think the MY is quieter). My kids have a Nissan Altima and Suburu Crosstrek (the noisiest of all of ours). I haven't noticed any excess wind noise at speeds of 70-80.

• Informative
Reactions: 5JMJ and tkc9789
Hi,
I've had my MY for 3 weeks. The road noise is terrible - as soon as you hit any rough pavement it's annoyingly/painfully loud. It also "booms" over any bump. I was going to return the car but I was out of town on day 7. My current plan is to go back and report it as a lemon and hope it's something wrong with my car and it can be fixed or I can get a new one, but I haven't had time to do it yet.
For comparison, it's way louder than a Prius or Subaru Forester or any other normal car. Otherwise, I love the car, but this has been a major disappointment as I bought it largely for road trips and value a quiet comfortable car.
I do have some hope reading the comments that maybe mine is exceptionally loud, as there is no way any reasonable person used to decent cars, least of all luxury cars, would say "this isn't very bad." I'll report back when I get some feedback from Tesla but it may be awhile.

Just got mine yesterday. There is very little mid and high frequency noise, but a lot of very low frequency noise (sub 30 Hz). I'm playing with my hatch bumpers to see if I can solve it.

• Informative
Reactions: 5JMJ