Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Roadster has Alzheimers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roadster is supposed to remember what amperage settings you use in different locations.

Now, for reasons I can't figure out, when I set a current limit at home, when I get to work it has that same limit. And if I reset it at work, it has that setting when I get home. The only thing I can think of is that at work we have underground parking, so maybe the GPS doesn't remember the last setting? BTW, work is 25 miles from home.

I've always had issues with how/when Roadster remembers/doesn't remember current limits. I think that if the charge door is open, it won't remember that setting. But, maybe it's more complicated than that.

Anyone have a clue what might be going on? I've got a v2.5.

I was just about to post the same issue today and was searching first. I park at work underground but the car seems to simply remember the last settings... not the settings based on location. Quite annoying as I have a 30 amp j1772 at work that seems to throw an issue if I do not remember to set it at 24... and at home I do not want a limit. UGH.

Someone mentioned to just use OVMS... does OVMS solve this issue, i.e. save location-based preferences?

Someone mentioned to just use OVMS... does OVMS solve this issue, i.e. save location-based preferences?

The latest OVMS includes something we call Advanced Charge Control. This allows you to setup (currently 4) special "ACC" locations based on GPS geofencing where OVMS will control the charge (not the car). For each location, you can specify whether you want to cooldown the battery on plugin, charge mode (standard, range, etc), charge limits (amperage), duration limits (for example; either charge up to 80% SOC, or up to 150 miles range), as well as three different types of charge timer (charge on plugin, charge at time, complete charge by time). You can even have it trigger homelink as you approach an ACC location. It is currently setup via SMS messages.

different types of charge timer (charge on plugin, charge at time, complete charge by time)
Ya, I've been reading up on OVMS and hadn't committed the new acronyms yet. thanks for pointing me towards OVMS and the ACC options. Curious if you have figured out if there is the ability to engage multiple types of charge timers, in particular to set the 'charge at time' say to 1AM and the 'complete charge by time' to 5AM. I ask because I have a smart meter on my house now and lowest energy cost is 1am to 5am so I'd like to take advantage of that window without continued charging.

Ya, I've been reading up on OVMS and hadn't committed the new acronyms yet. thanks for pointing me towards OVMS and the ACC options. Curious if you have figured out if there is the ability to engage multiple types of charge timers, in particular to set the 'charge at time' say to 1AM and the 'complete charge by time' to 5AM. I ask because I have a smart meter on my house now and lowest energy cost is 1am to 5am so I'd like to take advantage of that window without continued charging.

The car only has a simple timer. The charge-by-time function is done by OVMS itself, using Tom Saxton's charge time predictor. Works pretty well, especially considering it is something a Tesla couldn't (wouldn't?) do for the roadster.

Make sure your OVMS or Tattler, whatever you have, is not overriding the car programming. You can set the car to charge at a specific amperage and, in my case, the Tattler will override to the last setting programmed into the Tattler. I have to turn off "charge mode" on the Tattler for the numbers I plug into the car to work.

Rik- Tesla Tattler lets you program a charge cycle exactly like you are describing. Check out "teslasolutions.com"