Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Roadster is in pieces.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
The ranger came yesterday for my annual service. In a couple of hours he'll return to complete the service. He installed a new PEM blower, though nothing was wrong with the old one, and a snow guard around it. He said there's nothing wrong with the cruise control. Apparently I just wasn't pushing hard enough on that awkward button. He said there's a HID headlight option available, but it's thousands of dollars. I seldom drive at night. So I guess I'll pass. My rear tires are down to around 50% tread. He recommends I replace them before driving in rain. He brought some along, so I'll buy a pair. I might (on his suggestion) just put the snow tires on early this fall, since I'm going to be gone on my Canada hiking trip for a big chunk of summer.

Changing tires is a colossal PITA, since I have to haul the tires to the tire place in the Prius, and the tire place won't store my off-season tires for me, as the place in Fargo always did.

I asked him about the PEM in general: Does his experience lead him to believe they're likely to fail? He replaced one in Alaska where the fellow has been using an off-grid solar system where the garage lights all dimmed when the charger was turned on. There was something about a car that was in long-term storage and had been unplugged by a misguided do-gooder. But he has not seen many have issues.

I asked about brakes, having read something here. They are working on improved brakes. Not available yet. Probably will be expensive. Maybe something for the Lotus would work. If Tesla comes out with improved brakes I'll probably buy them, since it's a safety issue, but I'm not doing anything not Tesla-approved.

I drove the Prius yesterday. It was an opportunity to take my recycling to the recycling place. I loved that car for the first 3 years. But ever since getting the Xebra, the Prius just seems wrong; and after driving the Roadster for a year, the Prius seems like a golf cart.

I agree, I thought my cruise control was busted when I tried to use it. Very awkward, but once you get it working once you'll then understand how to activate it. As for the HID, if you don't want to spend 2k you can buy the $150 ballasts and bulbs. It will only work for your low beams but hey, that's where they really count. The high beams are fine for me on the roadster. If you go this route, there's plenty of discussion here on the forum about them, I say take your time and do ask questions to those who did it. I see people upgrading to the 55 or 65 watt bulbs from the original 35 watt upgrade they did.

Changing tires is a colossal PITA, since I have to haul the tires to the tire place in the Prius, and the tire place won't store my off-season tires for me, as the place in Fargo always did.

Get a decent shop jack and a torque wrench, and you'll never have to do that again. Takes me about 40 minutes to change all four wheels, and I don't rush it. The rear jack point lifts the whole side of the car so you only have to jack it up twice.

Pics or it didn't happen
I don't do pics. Sorry. I'm sure there are plenty of others who have posted pics of their annual maintenance.

Pieces?? Without pulling the PEM?? Martha, pleese!!
The PEM was one of the pieces.

... As for the HID, if you don't want to spend 2k you can buy the $150 ballasts and bulbs.
If it ain't Tesla approved, it ain't going in my Roadster. And I don't need HIDs.

Get a decent shop jack and a torque wrench, and you'll never have to do that again. Takes me about 40 minutes to change all four wheels, and I don't rush it. The rear jack point lifts the whole side of the car so you only have to jack it up twice.
Fuhgeddaboudit! I'd probably break my foot when the car falls on it!

He seems to be just about done now. Took him a bit longer than he anticipated, because he found a couple of things to fix. The manual key-operated lock under the door (which I had never used or tried) didn't work, and he fixed it; and the sticky charge-port door had actually started to crack the body panel inside the opening, and he epoxied it.

He also replaced the PEM blower with a new and better one. He replaced the 12-v. battery. He replaced the batteries in both key fobs.

We just took it for a spin. First the cruise control worked, and then it didn't. He got behind the wheel and again it was intermittent. So now he's replacing the stalk.

Yes, Tesla also confirmed that their 2k upgrade kit has as shuttered low/high beam. That's the way they come from dealers and with the full lens kits.

As for only installing Tesla Approved upgrades, thats all personal preference. Ever since my 1st motorcycle and growing up working/fixing cars I've been installing aftermarket upgrades that have worked as good or better than OEM. I also try to follow other peoples successful paths and their great documentation to support my upgrade. I will be doing the Xenon upgrade with the aftermarket Balasts soon using the data and products people have used and have reported success in this forum. Its just me, I don't have another $1,800 I can just throw out there, and have very high confidence this upgrade will work without any issue. I do like supporting Tesla, but for me, doing my own work where I can and saving money where I can in a rational manner allows me to know and take better care of my Roadster.

Interesting on the cruise control issue. Glad that's getting fixed.

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention. I was using a seat pad and a foam pad because the seats are so uncomfortable. The ranger put my foam pad plus another thinner one that he had, inside my seat, making it less hard and more comfortable. I didn't mind using the seat pad, but it's nicer, better looking, and easier to scoot in and out of, without it.

The headlight upgrade really is worth every penny if you go out at night for just one drive. It gives better light and the added peripheral illumination allowed me to see the stupid deer in the woods on the side of the road before he jumped in front of me!!! I was able to miss him because I had already started slowing. I would not have seen him in the brush with old light kit...I'm sure of that. Better brakes would have helped prevent a few scratches on the star shield ....... No damage and I swear the deer stopped on the other side of the road and looked at me like "What the .......!" I honk when I go around that corner now!

Lights well worth it .... Brakes my next upgrade... I hope.