Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Roadster Lied to Me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove home from work, turned my Roadster off, plugged it in, and the VDS said charging would begin at 9PM. Since it was a weekday, I didn't want charging to start until midnight. So, I tap the VDS, change Timing to 12AM and hit OK. VDS says charging will begin at 12AM (as I recall).

9PM comes along and my car starts charging!

This is not the first time I've changed the timing only to not have it stick. What the rules about making charge programming stick? Does the key in the ignition matter? Does having the charge port door open matter? Does having the connector connected matter? Why does the obvious thing not work? Is there some greater thing I'm missing, or is this just bad UI design from Tesla?

I drove home from work, turned my Roadster off, plugged it in, and the VDS said charging would begin at 9PM. Since it was a weekday, I didn't want charging to start until midnight. So, I tap the VDS, change Timing to 12AM and hit OK. VDS says charging will begin at 12AM (as I recall).

9PM comes along and my car starts charging!

This is not the first time I've changed the timing only to not have it stick. What the rules about making charge programming stick? Does the key in the ignition matter? Does having the charge port door open matter? Does having the connector connected matter? Why does the obvious thing not work? Is there some greater thing I'm missing, or is this just bad UI design from Tesla?

Did you do something to upset her?

A well-known bug. Follow these steps to make sure your new timing settings stick:

1. Turn off car
2. Open charge port door
3. Close charge port door
4. Tap VDS and set charge time
5. Open charge port door
6. Plug in

Perhaps most easily remembered as: "Always open & close the charge port door before setting the timer."