TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My roadster's first car show. Lots of Love plus some animosity from a few.

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Stewie26, Feb 3, 2018.

1. coolVariable

coolVariable Member

That looks like a ton of fun. I am also in LA. Will have to check this out when it happen next.

2. strider

strider Active Member

Around here they don't call it Cars & Coffee - they call it Caffeine & Gasoline. Yes, EVs have a long way to go here...:rolleyes: I do plan to show up at some point (I love educating people about Tesla's and EVs), just hasn't bubbled up to the top of my list for a Saturday morning.

• Funny x 1
  3. PhilMantel

PhilMantel Member

Definitely encountered the "animosity" you mention. Try entering your Tesla into a World of Wheels in the buckle of the bible belt. For 5 years I have entered my 69 Mustang Convertible, which always gets either first or second place. Last year I added a last minute entry with the Tesla, which is flawless. They didn't know it was an electric car, so I won first place under the "exotic car" category.

I love how you mention they way in which older people react to the car. When going to one of these car shows and just listening to people from various ages, you definitely would conclude that Tesla is the future. Seems like anyone around 40 and over knew next to nothing about Tesla or even that there was such a thing as an electric car, but if you listen to the around 30 and under crowd, they just gush over it.

This past year I entered the Tesla again, but with the following upgrades of fiberglass front spoiler and body side ducts, thus completing all of the exterior carbon fiber pieces available and I had gotten the R80 upgrade. However, this past year, they knew what the Tesla was and would be damned to let this impostor of a vehicle win. The Tesla got second place in just one category, losing to an ugly Corvette with a rebel flag painted on the underside of the hood.
    2018 - Tesla - WoW.JPG

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 2
  4. Roadster

Roadster Member

I submit the following to all the EV haters out there...

[​IMG]

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. RossRAllen

RossRAllen Member

Pathetic old tech response to new tech! Even 10 year-old electric tech.

I’ve ridden in friends’ Ferraris. Most felt like a kit car with enough cargo capacity for a child’s lunchbox.

My SigX eats Ferraris for lunch.

• Like x 1
  6. Tex EV

Tex EV Member

We have Coffee and Cars here in Houston as well. People generally react well to the car. The only animosity I've noticed (toward EVs generally) was overhearing a couple of spectators say "that's the only Tesla a car guy could own". In the car enthusiast circles I've been around, Tesla owners are generally seen as gadget junkies who have no passion for "real cars". No ICE, no soul. Horse lovers probably said similar things about early adopters of automobiles at some point in history...

• Like x 2
  7. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

I have a friend who owns 6 Ferrari’s worth a fortune but he smiled like child when I took him out in my modest p85. He is a real petrolhead but said he will replace his wife’s Range Rover with a model x in a couple of years. He was genuinely amazed at the acceleration of my car. He took me out in one of his Ferrari’s, rear engine, 500 made only.....very noisy and fast but felt old fashioned but I do understand the excitement of what he described as “having a rock band in the boot”. I prefer my shopping in my fruit!

• Like x 1
  8. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I have to disagree with the notion that you should stay away from "...shows were most dudes are wearing Depend undergarments or look like a collection of old, fat gray Teletubbies." We have Cars & Croissants here in NJ and, not only do all the car guys show great interest in the Tesla (even the historic rodders... especially the ZZ Top ones), I even have one guy blast in on the back of a 911RS, crank his window down and shout, hey, hang on, we just got a new LEAF, let me go get it! He returned 15 mins later in the brand new LEAF. We have everything from Smart to X join. At the end of the day, these are 'car' guys, and they seem to come with far few prejudices than people who attend the NDEW events or even some green fairs.

The only 'faux pas' you can make (IME) is to try and tell them that your car is better. Just give them the stats, they'll come around, and they do, EV ownership amongst our owners of Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Lotus, etc. etc. has climbed and climbed.

The best part of the events though is that they're respectful of the cars - they don't try to get in or let their children climb all over!

Cars & Croissants is the new show ground for EV adoption!

• Like x 2
  9. ion_1

ion_1 Member

I agree with @mpt, we don't live to far away from each other and I have to say it is age independent, at least around here. I've made it a point to have my most ICE oriented (race part fabricator/porsche-M3 owners), EV questioning friends drive my roadster. You don't understand seemless, shiftless application of torque until you drive. Everyone had a blank questioning face until I told them to open it up from near standstill. No matter how hard they tried they could not cold back the smile and near giggles. They were won over. At car shows it is a discussion of mutual respect. Most attendees want to learn, but don't preach, it goes both ways. I certainly appreciate the mechanical symphony of a Ferrari or silky boxer 6, but those days in terms of performance are basically over. However, they are still works of art (also).

• Like x 2
  10. Roadster

Roadster Member

Ya know, we are overdue for a Roadster rally. RPV next month SoCals?

11. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I am up for it.

12. David0934

David0934 New Member

Car Show: Besides Coffee and Cars in Colonial Williamsburg, we have an annual car show in Merchants Square. My roadster (#934) always draws a lot of attention and questions. For fun, I loop, The Electric Slide recording through the JVC.
    Car Show1.JPG Horsepower.JPG

• Like x 4
  13. Sheila111000

Sheila111000 New Member

Stewie26, I love your roaster. Please don't let the EV haters keep you from showing off your car. My husband and I, 68 & 67 yrs. old take our 1962 Ford T-Bird convertable to car shows where I saw my first Tesla Roadster, Model S and Model X. I was immediately in LOVE. I was sad for my kid because I knew I had to own one and I would be spending their inheritance. Will my husband and I test drive a Model S and Model X. I am impatiently waiting for my Model X ti be delivered the end of Feb. first of March. If it had not been for that car show, I may have never learned about these beautiful and highly technical cars. So thank you for taking your car to the car show so this senior citizen could admire it.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  14. Roadster

Roadster Member

Welcome to TMC @Sheila111000 and congrats on your pending MX acquisition! I'm sure one of our Roadster brothers/sisters in Tampa or Sarasota would be happy to take you and your husband for a spin.

15. jkennebeck

jkennebeck Member

16. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

[​IMG]

17. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I was overly harsh and you are absolutely right. I’m an old fat gray teletubbie and I get it. I must have been drinking and posting again! Mea culpa

• Like x 1
  18. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Great song. This is why I have a Miata and a motorcycle!

Red Barchetta - Wikipedia

"Red Barchetta"

My uncle has a country place
    That no one knows about
    He says it used to be a farm
    Before the Motor Law
    And on Sundays I elude the eyes
    And hop the Turbine Freight
    To far outside the Wire
    Where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground
    As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
    Run like the wind
    As excitement shivers up and down my spine
    Down in his barn
    My uncle preserved for me an old machine
    For fifty odd years
    To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris
    That hides a shining car
    A brilliant red Barchetta
    From a better vanished time
    I fire up the willing engine
    Responding with a roar
    Tires spitting gravel
    I commit my weekly crime

Wind
    In my hair
    Shifting and drifting
    Mechanical music
    Adrenaline surge...

Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Suddenly ahead of me
    Across the mountainside
    A gleaming alloy air car
    Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
    I spin around with shrieking tires
    To run the deadly race
    Go screaming through the valley
    As another joins the chase

Drive like the wind
    Straining the limits of machine and man
    Laughing out loud with fear and hope
    I've got a desperate plan
    At the one-lane bridge
    I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
    Race back to the farm
    To dream with my uncle at the fireside

19. jkennebeck

jkennebeck Member

I still have my BMW K1600 GTL. Never thought I'd own a car that was faster than it! :)

• Love x 1