Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My S May Have Just Saved a Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
I just had a very scary situation.

Driving north on highway 36 out of Tooele, Utah earlier this morning all seemed fine for a 1:00 am drive. But suddenly the car (which I had operating on Autopilot) gave me a Take Over Immediately message accompanied by a loud chime while braking itself hard and swerving itself to the right.

It was only then that out of the dark ahead I spotted a guy dressed all in black walking to the left across my lane.

I already had my hands on the wheel so I steered even harder to the right than Autopilot was. Now sitting here at home and looking at the dashcam video I can see that I just missed him.

After passing I could see him in the glow of my brake lights as he ran off to the side of the road but I rang the sheriff anyway and reported what had happened (I just rang them back and was told the guy had been located and was ok, saying he had been distracted by his cell phone).

So I think it’s safe to say, Tesla Autopilot may have saved a(nother) life this morning.