TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My S saves me time, for real !

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Kensiko, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

Something I wanted to post for a while. I used to think that all the gadgets on the Tesla would just add things to repair, but many are useful !

My Tesla is saving me time, for real ! There are several reasons, for ex: I have to go to the grocery quick:
    - I go to the car, it unlocks itself. I buckle and I'm ready to go, I don't even have to press a "Power" button.
    - I have to account the fast acceleration, it saves me a bit of time, especially when I want to catch the next green, within speed limits of course.
    - Once at the grocery, I can open the trunk before getting out of the car, so I can get the reusable bags quickly. I can then press the button to close it and I can run to the grocery store, the car will take care of locking everything ! Closing a normal trunk can be such a pain on other cars sometimes !
    - Getting back with my bags: I can open the trunk with my key and my bags in hand so that when I get close to the car, I just put them inside.
    - If the back of the car is harder to reach, I can just put the bags in the frunk !

Also:
    1- I don't need to spend time at the gas station, pretty annoying to wait a few minutes when it's -30 Celsius outside !!
    2- I don't need to plan for any oil change a few times a year. It takes time whether I do it myself (usually) or having a trip to the garage.
    3- I don't plan to do my usual anti-rust treatment on this car. THIS IS SO RELIEVING ! I hated to do that but garages rarely do it like I want.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I know this is a feel good thread, and my response will get a bunch of dislikes, but seriously? Half these reasons are silly.

While true, on most cars with keyless entry, you just walk up to the car and press a button and the car unlocks, so you don't have to fumble for anything. And saving time by not pressing the power button?
    Any car can do this.
    Most hatch style cars can automatically close the trunk and lock the car.
    Any car can do this.

• Dislike x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. chillaban

chillaban Member

I love my Tesla too, but my previous car list, unlike yours, is 3 $60k MSRP or above cars, and they all had almost the same advantages that you list. In fact my two previous cars had kick trunks that were great for groceries and I find that the MS's slow opening and beeping hatch to be less convenient for this purpose.

• Like x 1
  4. joebiker25

joebiker25 Member

A couple of key timesavers for me in no particular order:
    1) Don't have to go to gas stations
    2) drive in car pool lane during rush hour traffic (as soon as I get my HOV stickers)
    3) drive fast stealthily :p

• Like x 1
  5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

4. No biannual smog checks!

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

I just pointed out that I'm satisfied with my purchase.

I had a Honda Civic 87, a Tercel, a Sentra, a Prius, a Leaf. None of those cars had automatic trunk. And the prius is pretty close for the auto unlock, but sometimes the hand detection didn't work. With the Tesla it's not an issue.

7. DamianC

DamianC Member

I got my car because of the HOV plates which save me 1h per day of not sitting in traffic. 5h/week or 20h/month. That really adds up and reduces stress levels.

• Like x 2
  8. outie

outie Member

As stated most can be accomplished on other cars. One conveneint feature I miss is that there's no kick sensor to open/close the trunk. It's very useful.

When I asked the sales after test drive how do I open the trunk without touching it he told me use the fob. I felt like I just went back in time to 20 years ago.

9. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

It's still faster to open it before getting to the car in order to put some bags.

• Like x 1
  10. Joe F

Joe F Member

Don't have a Tesla yet, but:

Amazon Fresh. No muss, no fuss, no trunk, no frunk.

Hungry now? Have a pizza delivered.

/JK

• Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. Lex

Lex Member

So, I used to gas-up around 6 times a month, 5 minutes a stop, nearly always at the worst possible times. That is at least 6 HOURS PER YEAR that I get back. When I need it most, too -- on the way out in a rush, or on the way home (in a rush :)

And thanks Lloyd, I never even thought about emissions tests, I get to skip those now. And the HOV lanes help me out, again usually when the time is most valuable to me.

As for AP, funny enough it might actually slow me down, as I've never been so content to hang out with the Toyotas in the right lane more often than I ever would have imagined. My testosterone level is disappointed (it will get over it) but my stress hormone levels have never been healthier :D

• Like x 2
  12. Josh.md.us

Josh.md.us Member

My favorite time savings with my car is on long trips/supercharging. On a recent trip up I-95 I stopped at the Newark, DE supercharger. I plugged in and went inside to use the bathroom and pick up a coffee. By the time I got back to my car it was ready to head to the next charger. In a gas car, I would have come back from the bathroom and still had to wait in line to fuel up.

• Love x 1
  13. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

There were fobs 20 years ago?

• Funny x 1
  14. Malujerry

Malujerry Member

Lol yes. I had an aftermarket alarm on my Acura Integra with a key fob 19 years ago. I remember because I could set off the alarm in middle of driving by holding the panic button -fun times!

15. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

The no gas station time-saving benefit is unbelievable, now whenever I stop at a gas station for a drink I remember how archaic it was to have to do this all the time!

I have to admit though - the Tesla's take more time for me overall since I handwash and detail them every week. These cars are just too pretty to drive around with a less-than-perfect appearance :)

• Like x 1
  16. Jbailey

Jbailey Member

I agree...full tank every morning...no locking, no unlocking...zero maintenance in 46K miles except for windshield wiper fluid...very little stopping for yellow lights...and so much fun to drive...never gets old. All ice cars are now so boring. I will never own a sluggish appliance on wheels ICE car again.

17. joebiker25

joebiker25 Member

Nice garage mural sammyfan711

18. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

Thanks!