Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My S supercharge speed seems to be restricted at ~50KW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having a few slower SuC sessions over the last month. I've got a 2013 MS85 and saw speeds up to ~106kW a month ago during a road trip. However, the last two sessions I did wouldn't go over 82kW. This morning was pretty cold at 38 degrees with the regen limited. I drove 20 miles to the SuC and plugged into an empty stall pair (5a with no one using 5b). It charged up to 72kW and quickly settled down to ~60kW. After 5 minutes, I decided to move to different empty stall pair, plugged it, and got 82kW within a minute. I charged for about 40 minutes and watched a few other Tesla owners pull into various stalls only to shuffle around after a few minutes. It made me wonder if the varying charging rate was due to stall/cabinet issues or if it's our cars.

I typically charge at home, but will SuC if there are >50% of the stalls available, the car is warmed up, and the SOC is below 25%. Maybe I'll try a different SuC lot; I'd be happy to see charging rates >100kW to assure me that my car isn't the issue.
That is normal behaviour for a battery that isn’t fully warmed up yet. If you have any regen limit, then charge speed will be limited to similar (<50kw). Even if you have no regen limit, the battery may still not be warm enough for full speed 115kw supercharging.

People are probably getting low charge rates due to cool battery, and then trying to shuffle around believing here was something wrong with charger. Yes, the next charger you plug into may appear to give faster speeds at start compared to the first one you plugged into, but that’s because your battery is warmer now. That is not usually productive, and you will likely charge fastest if you just leave it plugged in.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I got only 35 kW at the East Palo Alto Supercharger (urban 72 kW max) at 52F outside. TeslaFi said the battery heater was on. I didn't try other chargers. This is the first time I've seen the battery heater on, which could just be a new API/TeslaFi feature. FW 2018.50.6. Only charged for 15 minutes, but 35 kW was constant the whole time.

Seems like a newly conservative Supercharging behavior for slightly cold temperatures.

2015 MS 85kW on the road now. Stopped by Cambridge OH and Dayton OH SCs. Both limited to 50-70kW initial charging with battery at only 20% after having driven for hours in 50F weather.

This sucks, I will pick up on the advice here and call Tesla from the next SC when this happens.

2015 MS 85kW on the road now. Stopped by Cambridge OH and Dayton OH SCs. Both limited to 50-70kW initial charging with battery at only 20% after having driven for hours in 50F weather.

This sucks, I will pick up on the advice here and call Tesla from the next SC when this happens.
This is a common problem now. I can't get above 40kw on my 2013 P85 with 60k miles. Even my chademo adapter only gets 38kw. Service center says "we couldn't find any faults in your logs, nothing is wrong".

I just took our 2013 MS85 to a Supercharger for the first time since June with some pretty good results. I was picking up my wife at LAX and wanted to try out the V2 stalls in Redondo Beach early Sunday morning, but by the time I got within 30 miles the on-board navigation said there was only 1/8 available so I knew I wasn't likely to get an unpaired stall. I opted to charge at the 72kW Urban stalls at Manhattan Beach and the navigation said there were 6/12 available. I arrived with 50 miles of range remaining and I was 2nd in line for the next available stall. After waiting 6 minutes, I was able to plug in and saw the charging speed hold at 72kW.

As I had breakfast at the Corner Bakery, I was monitoring the charging via mobile app and noticed it started to taper down to 71kW at 94 range miles (38%) and 50kW at 142 range miles (58%). I was able to get from 50 to 197 range miles (21% to 81%) after 40 minutes of charging which is not too bad. I thought the new Supercharging experience was going to be bad because the last time two times I tried V2 stalls with a low SOC%, I never got above 42kW. I was never clear if it was my car (hardware or software) or the Supercharger hardware. Charging is slightly worse than chart from ABRP:

BT85_s85_July-August.png.be93535c0173f48c73cc9d314ad15448.png

Another observation was the front radiator fans were humming when I got back to my car while it was Supercharging. 2 miles later I'm driving in gridlock through the Sepulveda tunnel and I hear a loud droning noise that sounded like a street cleaner truck. I wondered if the tunnel had ventilation fans, but I soon realized that droning noise was the fans from my Tesla. I think Tesla is very concerned about thermal management with the older battery packs and made some changes through software.

BTW, my HVAC was off, ambient temp was 70F, and I don't drive the car hard (lifetime 302Wh/mi).

Last edited:
I've read alot of post today on this. Seems all owners of OLD cars have been throttled back on our charge rate. My high lately is 78. It's getting worse. Also my car used 72 miles last night to go 52 miles and I was down to 59 mph. My mileage range has gone really far down?.

Here is a chart showing a comparison on SuC speeds on my car. Worth noting is V10 update seems to have smoothed out the charge rate at the upper end.

The sum of power in Kw plus SOC in percent is nearly constant at 111-112. Lower than it used to be last year, but an improvement over this Summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20191118_180424594.jpg
    IMG_20191118_180424594.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 88
Just wonder if anyone has similar experience of restricted supercharge speed.
I was the only one car at supercharge station (Max power 120KW), and my SOC is ~30%. However, supercharge speed is only 44KW. I tried other stalls but still same speed. Supercharge speed slowly increase to ~50KW, then capped up at ~50KW. (30% SOC, normal charge speed will be ~90KW)
I tried another Supercharge station recently (Urban charger Max power 72KW). My SOC is ~40%, but charging speed is only ~36KW. Charge speed capped up at 40KW. (Normal speed should be 72KW)
It seems my car's supercharge speed is restricted. I've owned my S for 2 years and did several road trip, but it never happened before.
Any Tesla owner experiences similar stuff? Is there an issue the the car? Thanks in advance.

Same happening me, won't go above 50 kw. Tried multiple supercharging stations including newer with few cars and others there getting much higher rate. Does not depend on soc as have brought it by at 20%, also in socal on the coast with temp about 70 F. Did an experiment and my 85d C series battery pack will only take about 64kwh going from 7% soc to 98%. That's what the charger delivered to the car over the charging session. Do others have similare?

Same happening me, won't go above 50 kw. Tried multiple supercharging stations including newer with few cars and others there getting much higher rate. Does not depend on soc as have brought it by at 20%, also in socal on the coast with temp about 70 F. Did an experiment and my 85d C series battery pack will only take about 64kwh going from 7% soc to 98%. That's what the charger delivered to the car over the charging session. Do others have similare?

I've been having a few slower SuC sessions over the last month. I've got a 2013 MS85 and saw speeds up to ~106kW a month ago during a road trip. However, the last two sessions I did wouldn't go over 82kW. This morning was pretty cold at 38 degrees with the regen limited. I drove 20 miles to the SuC and plugged into an empty stall pair (5a with no one using 5b). It charged up to 72kW and quickly settled down to ~60kW. After 5 minutes, I decided to move to different empty stall pair, plugged it, and got 82kW within a minute. I charged for about 40 minutes and watched a few other Tesla owners pull into various stalls only to shuffle around after a few minutes. It made me wonder if the varying charging rate was due to stall/cabinet issues or if it's our cars.

I typically charge at home, but will SuC if there are >50% of the stalls available, the car is warmed up, and the SOC is below 25%. Maybe I'll try a different SuC lot; I'd be happy to see charging rates >100kW to assure me that my car isn't the issue.
Most batteries I'm familiar with can develop a "surface charge" (at high charge rates) that makes it more difficult for a deep charge to occur. Moving to another stall uses part of that, and still more sinks into the cell during the move, which results in a temporary increase in charge current when you plug in. This also explains why charge current decreases as the SOC increases. Forcing a battery to charge faster will definitely shorten it's life, and in extreme cases cause it to overheat and possibly explode. This even applies to the lowly NiCads and Lead-Acid batteries.