Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My S60 was stolen last night. I recovered it this morning thanks to the app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOML left her key in our 2014 S60 last night when running an errand. We keep the car in our driveway, and when I woke up this morning and walked outside to bring the trash out, I saw the car was gone. I pulled up the app, saw that it was parked ~1/2 mile away with ~70 miles less charge on the battery than it should have had. Rather than call the cops and wait (maybe not a good decision...), I got on my bike and rode over to where the car was. Sure enough it was parked on the side of the street with nary a scratch on it. I threw the bike in the trunk, hopped in, and drove back home. The car wreaks of pot and the last 30 miles averaged ~460 w-h/mi...

The thief/joy rider still has one key so we called Tesla and their excellent service department is reprogramming the car/keys right now. I'm also filling a police report just to have everything on record. But I'm very happy to have the car back with no apparent damage, and I'll never buy another car that doesn't have a phone app with a locator...

LOML left her key in our 2014 S60 last night when running an errand. We keep the car in our driveway, and when I woke up this morning and walked outside to bring the trash out, I saw the car was gone. I pulled up the app, saw that it was parked ~1/2 mile away with ~70 miles less charge on the battery than it should have had. Rather than call the cops and wait (maybe not a good decision...), I got on my bike and rode over to where the car was. Sure enough it was parked on the side of the street with nary a scratch on it. I threw the bike in the trunk, hopped in, and drove back home. The car wreaks of pot and the last 30 miles averaged ~460 w-h/mi...

The thief/joy rider still has one key so we called Tesla and their excellent service department is reprogramming the car/keys right now. I'm also filling a police report just to have everything on record. But I'm very happy to have the car back with no apparent damage, and I'll never buy another car that doesn't have a phone app with a locator...
Glad you got your car back but I think you made a mistake by not calling the cops immediately. By getting in and driving it home you have rendered any possible evidence meaningless. Filing a report is a waste of time since even if they catch the guy doing it again, they can't connect the two incidents unless he blatantly admits he did it before.

Basically, I'm glad it worked out but you missed an opportunity to make your neighborhood a little safer.

Reactions: Akikiki
MV5BMTg4ODcxOTgyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI0NTI1MQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR105,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Eh, I would have done the same things as the OP - not told the police and gone to get the car myself. I probably would have called a friend to help in case there was an incident, but whatever. IMHO, people are way too quick to involve the police in what is usually a really minor teenage joyride. Yeah, evidence is destroyed, but so what? It isn't as if they are arch criminals or anything. Obviously if the car had been parked outside of a crack den, then I may have called for help!

Only if he was using one of them from before the incident, I.e. it was running during the joyride.
I was referring to the apps that use the Tesla APIs to allow you to view the data on your car. Can't those apps be used? I'm still awaiting delivery so I can't try them out yet but I was under the impression that they could allow you to view the historical data already saved in your vehicle.

I was referring to the apps that use the Tesla APIs to allow you to view the data on your car. Can't those apps be used?

From what I understand those programs keep polling the car for data through the API at frequent intervals. But if you're not signed up and signed in (you need to give the app/site your login and MyTesla password) how can it track you???

Glad you got your car back but I think you made a mistake by not calling the cops immediately. By getting in and driving it home you have rendered any possible evidence meaningless. Filing a report is a waste of time since even if they catch the guy doing it again, they can't connect the two incidents unless he blatantly admits he did it before.

Basically, I'm glad it worked out but you missed an opportunity to make your neighborhood a little safer.
Tibertius- Thanks for the advice. I've got the theft on video (security camera on our driveway), and the thief also left a few of their things in the car (lighter, car charger). So I'll be turning all that evidence in as part of the police report. Plenty of evidence, but to be honest, I don't have much faith in our police department catching the thief. They have plenty of other things to worry about, and I was more concerned with getting my car before it moved again (police response in my neighborhood average ~20 minutes).

Reactions: Tiberius
Coming from a PO family, bit of a crazy story. This is a case where you should have probably involved the police so they could do a report on the spot, investigate, and question the suspect. You'll have some proof probably due to Tesla & GPS; however, not as easy and shut case as the police finding your car and documenting it at other location. They can simply say it was parked there, not by them - likely will get away with that if smart.