Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My S85D and Tesla life at 50K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 85D has 68,000 miles. Charges to 262. I have a lot of long trip experience.

My March 2015 S85D is similar. 68,688K miles. Last 100% charge last month was 262miles. Lots of road trips. My only failure has been an intermittent issue charging at Superchargers last month. The ranger call to replace the high voltage junction box under the rear seat didn't go well, and the car had to be flatbedded to the service center, and I didn't get it back for a week. A side effect of the failed ranger call (not his fault) was the destruction of my 12v battery, so I got billed for that, too. Still, under $1500 costs (not counting tires, insurance, registration, electricity, and various accessories) for 3.5 years of ownership and 69K miles is pretty awesome.

I have a June 2015 85D with 61,000 mile. One camera replacement under warranty and one door handle repair out of warranty, but no other problems. This is the best car I have ever owned, by far. However I am trading her in on Friday for a 2018 inventory 100D. I had a Model 3 reservation, but after test driving the 3, I would not “move down”. I really think that the AP2 hardware and increased range of the 100D make the move worthwhile for me. Got a great deal on the 100D.

I did get the extended warranty, but I admit I didn't do a cost-benefit analysis like some other owners did. Maybe I should have approached this more rigorously, but it was just that peace-of-mind kind of thing.

Bruce.

My touchscreen has locked up a few times in the last two weeks. Looks like I'll have my first out of warranty repair soon. May wish I'd bought the warranty like you did! Hard to believe it started so soon after 50k!

Just a warning to all Tesla owners. Even though the battery is sealed water can still infiltrate into the battery pack. Try not to drive through more than 4 inches of water. Good luck. My 2013 Tesla S has about 58K miles but it is currently in the shop to dry out the batter ($180 US) and the main fuse for the car got corroded in just two days (and maybe also 5 years of use). That costs $350 to repair and it is not covered by the extended warranty. Be safe - don't try to drive through puddles and if you can raise up the suspension to high if you have to. Phil

LOL Yet another reason no Tesla for me. Thanks for the info. We have regular deep puddles that can't be avoided, I was already skeptical because the puddles are certainly brackish water, and my solution would have been a thorough rinse down, which would probably be even worse.