Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Screen went black while on NJ Turnpike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, while driving along on the NJ Turnpike in Autosteer mode, my screen just want black. Car continued to run, autosteer and cruise continued to function, just no screen. At the time, I had a web viewer running with ABetterRoutePlanner active.

I headed for the next rest stop, but by the time I got there, the system had already restarted itself (Tesla T on screen, then normal screen contents). Took about 3-4 minutes.

What caused this?

I was lucky that I wasn't trying to drive in an unknown area and needed navigation guidance. And also lucky that the car itself did shut down. But still.....

infotainment is quite separate from safety systems (drivetrain, etc) - so no worries there. very annoying, but not unsafe.

it rebooted due to a 'watchdog' triggering; again, its a safety thing inside embedded systems that reset them if they 'hang'.

the browser was probably what hung the system. probably waiting on a network i/o that got lost and some timers were not happy about that (inside the os).

last time I had a black screen while driving was more than a year ago. but I never use browsers while driving. I dont suggest that, tbh.

I would bet if you dont 'browse' on tesla while in motion, you wont have any more blackscreens.

Yesterday, while driving along on the NJ Turnpike in Autosteer mode, my screen just want black. Car continued to run, autosteer and cruise continued to function, just no screen. At the time, I had a web viewer running with ABetterRoutePlanner active.

I headed for the next rest stop, but by the time I got there, the system had already restarted itself (Tesla T on screen, then normal screen contents). Took about 3-4 minutes.

What caused this?

I was lucky that I wasn't trying to drive in an unknown area and needed navigation guidance. And also lucky that the car itself did shut down. But still.....

This has happened to me. Fine once it reset, and did not affect AP or FSD. I run weather.com on the browser when I am driving in severe weather so that I can monitor the weather radar. It has hung up, and disabled the screen, once recently. I also have ABRP on my favorites, but have found the native Tesla navigation much better on the road. I plan on ABRP, but drive with the nav system. I agree with the other poster that this is probably related to i/o interruptions while moving through cell areas. But, hey, at least we have a browser. :)

Yes, this is a "soft crash" IMO due to the onboard computer RAM maxing out. The computer should reboot pretty quick on its own with no effect to driving/safety mechanics.

I had this happen before when trying to search really long Spotify titles for podcasts.

Most of the system crashes I've had were after usage of the browser, Netflix or Youtube. As others said, I don't suggest the browser during driving. I did try to use ABRP in the browser but decided to stick with the in-car GPS for navigation. I do use ABRP a lot (app on my phone), to plan my drives or at a supercharger to properly estimate my power needs for the next leg. I just don't use it's "on route" functionality.
As others said, the worse is that you lose information. The car will not stop, it will drive just fine.