TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My semi-custom Wall connector installation

Discussion in 'North America' started by nuevodesi, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx Member

Unfortunately the links you posted don't work.

Too bad. Would like to see a nice install by a neighbor (I'm in Fort Worth).

2. nuevodesi

nuevodesi Member

Sorry .. I am unable to create an album on my profile page, as such created one on the North Texas Group Media page instead. Still researching why that is the case. Standby, neighbor.

3. nuevodesi

nuevodesi Member

@Craig-Tx - As you are in Fort Worth, would you join the North Texas Tesla Owner group and check for me if you are still having trouble seeing the album ? Apparently, albums on this forum and related permissions are current work-in-progress.

Appreciate you letting me know.

4. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx Member

I had difficulty... But that was my error. While I have joined NTTOG some time ago, I hadn't joined here in this forum. Once I joined here, I was able to see the album just fine. Looks good.

-Craig

5. nuevodesi

nuevodesi Member

Finished the installation of the Wall connector, earlier today. Check out pictures of the same at this album.

Reposting this as I had to recreate the album in a different media gallery so that it becomes accessible to all members.

6. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx Member

Looks like you fixed your original album. The links in the first post now seem to work for me.

7. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

I don't know enough about installing electrical equipment to judge. I hope you do, as if you made even a small mistake chances are unreasonably high that you are going to burn your house down. 240V @ 40+ amp.s is a LOT of electricity flowing thru those wires.

For anyone who isn't an expert electrical installer: please, pay an electrician to install for you.

8. nuevodesi

nuevodesi Member

Agreed .. for that very reason, I had a Tesla certified electrician do all the connections.

9. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Unfortunately your electrician did a poor job. You need to remove the 90A breaker and replace it with a 70A breaker which provides sufficient protection for your #4 Romex. You also need to change the breaker rotary switch inside the Wall Connector from C to A to match the 70A breaker and the maximum 56A you can support continuously on your circuit. If you have the high amp charger in your car I would dial down the amps to 56 until you get this corrected.

• Informative x 1
  10. nuevodesi

nuevodesi Member

Good to be cautious. Do not have the MX as yet nor has been ordered with the High amp charger. So I should be good there for now.

BTW, I had checked with the electrical supplier as well as the electrician on the #4/3 wire and both had said it was rated for 100amps. I had also verified it one place, but don't have the link at the moment. Is there some place that can tell me otherwise ?

11. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Here is a chart: Ampacity Charts

You are using NM-B so you need to use the 60 degree C column. #4 is rated at 70 amps. There are different ratings for branch circuits and service entrance and the electrician and supplier may have been thinking #4 is good for 100 amps because it may be ok in different situations, but not with the particular wire and use case you have.

12. nuevodesi

nuevodesi Member

Thanks for that ... Will update the WC accordingly.