Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My semi-custom Wall connector installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know enough about installing electrical equipment to judge. I hope you do, as if you made even a small mistake chances are unreasonably high that you are going to burn your house down. 240V @ 40+ amp.s is a LOT of electricity flowing thru those wires.

For anyone who isn't an expert electrical installer: please, pay an electrician to install for you.

I don't know enough about installing electrical equipment to judge. I hope you do, as if you made even a small mistake chances are unreasonably high that you are going to burn your house down. 240V @ 40+ amp.s is a LOT of electricity flowing thru those wires.

For anyone who isn't an expert electrical installer: please, pay an electrician to install for you.

Agreed .. for that very reason, I had a Tesla certified electrician do all the connections.

Agreed .. for that very reason, I had a Tesla certified electrician do all the connections.

Unfortunately your electrician did a poor job. You need to remove the 90A breaker and replace it with a 70A breaker which provides sufficient protection for your #4 Romex. You also need to change the breaker rotary switch inside the Wall Connector from C to A to match the 70A breaker and the maximum 56A you can support continuously on your circuit. If you have the high amp charger in your car I would dial down the amps to 56 until you get this corrected.

Good to be cautious. Do not have the MX as yet nor has been ordered with the High amp charger. So I should be good there for now.

BTW, I had checked with the electrical supplier as well as the electrician on the #4/3 wire and both had said it was rated for 100amps. I had also verified it one place, but don't have the link at the moment. Is there some place that can tell me otherwise ?

Good to be cautious. Do not have the MX as yet nor has been ordered with the High amp charger. So I should be good there for now.

BTW, I had checked with the electrical supplier as well as the electrician on the #4/3 wire and both had said it was rated for 100amps. I had also verified it one place, but don't have the link at the moment. Is there some place that can tell me otherwise ?

Here is a chart: Ampacity Charts

You are using NM-B so you need to use the 60 degree C column. #4 is rated at 70 amps. There are different ratings for branch circuits and service entrance and the electrician and supplier may have been thinking #4 is good for 100 amps because it may be ok in different situations, but not with the particular wire and use case you have.

Here is a chart: Ampacity Charts

You are using NM-B so you need to use the 60 degree C column. #4 is rated at 70 amps. There are different ratings for branch circuits and service entrance and the electrician and supplier may have been thinking #4 is good for 100 amps because it may be ok in different situations, but not with the particular wire and use case you have.

Thanks for that ... Will update the WC accordingly.