Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Impaler

'20 MY LR Black/Black, 20" induction w/FSD
Jul 5, 2020
USA
Hi all,
I took my MY LR in for its first service last week, to address a number of fit and finish issues, and to have the HomeLink install completed. I was tentative at best, given other posts regarding service, of what would be fixed and what would not be fixed, but the way I saw it, I could only document and request the work. None of these were deal breakers, of course, and not terribly crucial, but were from my pick up day. Here's what I asked for and what was addressed.

- Frunk not flush on passenger side: fixed
- Taillights misaligned: They said they fixed them and they're better. They removed a washer on the top of the light that the service tech said was there for adjustment purposes and doesn't affect its operation.
- Front lights with a bit of a gap: not fixed, within spec
- Tailgate misaligned: by far the worst of the bunch. It was badly misaligned along the rear C pillar. This was adjusted and looks much better, and I verified with the frunk and tailgate, they still seal well and there are no leaks.

The HomeLink install was done as well. Still surprised this is a $300 post-purchase item, but I wanted to get it.

In total, cost was zero.

The experience was mostly terrific. The service tech worked with me daily, keeping me updated via text. Scheduling, modifying the appointment in the app removes a lot of friction. One item I was concerned about is it wasn't approved with an estimate for a long time in the app. When I called, they emailed me an invoice for my approval...but I found out later that they typically don't approve the work until a couple days before. Sure enough, two days before my appointment the app updated with my prior approval of the work. When I showed up, I scanned a QR code on the service center window (it's locked except for employees due to COVID), waited a few minutes in the waiting area, and then was called.

They estimated the car would be back in my hands by today, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it was done yesterday late morning, and I was able to pick it up. They had it a total of five days, including the Labor Day holiday weekend. They actually worked Saturday on cars to deal with a backlog. The service guy drove the car to me in the front, and we went through it all. He remarked that he was aware of Tesla's reputation on the service side, and he was committed to making it better at his level of influence. I was thrilled to see that.

One point of annoyance, and I will provide this via a feedback opportunity from Tesla I received after I picked the car up, is they clearly kicked the floor panels and sat with dirty pants on my passenger seat. They left dirt on my floor boards and seat, and there are small sticky-looking stains on the steering wheel. I had to go in and clean them up. This should not happen. I wasn't asking for it to be washed (although that would be a nice touch), but at least give it back to the customer in the condition it was dropped off in. I consider this minor and overall I was happy.

Just thought I'd share for anyone else wondering about their first service experience. Your mileage may vary!

My MY went in for post-purchase fixes last Monday (Labor day!) morning. Door panels weren't aligned, steering wheel wasn't quite centered and tail light had moisture. They fixed everything including the frunk, which the also realigned, and was ready for pickup the same day! No pushback on anything, text updates throughout the day, and super fast service. I went in girding for the worst after some of the other comments here, but I was very impressed with the service and advisor was awesome (Orlando). This was in Springfield NJ.

Reactions: Impaler
My MY went in for post-purchase fixes last Monday (Labor day!) morning. Door panels weren't aligned, steering wheel wasn't quite centered and tail light had moisture. They fixed everything including the frunk, which the also realigned, and was ready for pickup the same day! No pushback on anything, text updates throughout the day, and super fast service. I went in girding for the worst after some of the other comments here, but I was very impressed with the service and advisor was awesome (Orlando). This was in Springfield NJ.

That's awesome!

Unfortunately my experience was nothing like this, but it's great to see that at least some service centers are treating people fairly and resolving concerns quickly.